Runner's Knee.. (Read 2747 times)

bhearn

What the hell are you people talking about?

Runner's Knee is a syndrome that occurs when the patella becomes misaligned in the patellar canal, typically as the result of weak quads that cannot handle the strain of repetitive footstrikes.  It is treated with quad strengthening. 

What, are Vibrams supposed to cure cancer and heart disease too?

To clarify, I'm sure I don't have "runner's knee". My quads are fine. There are a million things that can go wonky with knees. It's not unreasonable that a different foot strike could alter what's going on in there. It's less reasonable that switching to minimalist shoes will instantly give you an altered foot strike. But for me, it's food for thought -- it's not an automatic conclusion that more cushioning in the shoe = less impact on the knee.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

more cushioning in the shoe = less impact on the knee.

Oh, to be sure.  Some would argue that cushioning leads to impact.  I apologize if I was not clear; I was referring to the posts that immediately assumed that the OPs problems, superficially described as they were, could be cured with minimalism.  How can you prescribe a cure without a sense of the diagnosis?

keeponrunning

To clarify, I'm sure I don't have "runner's knee". My quads are fine. There are a million things that can go wonky with knees. It's not unreasonable that a different foot strike could alter what's going on in there. It's less reasonable that switching to minimalist shoes will instantly give you an altered foot strike. But for me, it's food for thought -- it's not an automatic conclusion that more cushioning in the shoe = less impact on the knee.

+1.  I don't have runner's knee, my quads are fine, possibly the strongest they've ever been.  Whatever was causing the pain, running in my race flats seemed to stop.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

mikeymike

Your quads can be "fine" and super strong and you can still have runners knee.  Runners knee is a patella tracking problem often caused by an imbalance.  It could be due to quads that are too weak or too strong or too tight compared to the hamstrings or one side compared to the other, or caused by hamstrings or calf muscles that are too tight, or any number of things.  A lot of time it's caused by over-striding, but not always either.  It's much more common in newer runners but it affects lots of experienced runners too, usually after significant change in training but not always even that.  It can be maddening in that sometimes it can appear to just come and go with no obvious cause.

When I started running 10+ years ago after a many year hiatus, I struggled mightily with runners knee for the better part of a year.  My quads were probably stronger than they are now (at least they were bigger) from years of mountain biking including racing, but they were strong in a different way and probably not as balanced for running as they are now.  And certainly my muscles and connective tissues were not as used to the repetitive, weight-bearing, impacts of running.  What worked for me was: ice, continuing to run, and going back to some quad strengthening exercises I had been taught in high school track (I really can't be sure if they helped or I just got stronger from running more.)

I also noticed that shorter, quicker strides seemed to help, so doing anything that develops your stride including incorporating some strides and/or hill charges into a routine probably helps--I do these things all the time anyway, not specifically to prevent runners knee but I suspect they help.

Runners run

It's much more common in newer runners but it affects lots of experienced runners too, usually after significant change in training but not always even that.

The one and only time I ever had runner's knee was 3 months after I started running...I did a few tracking exercises (I would hardly call them quad strengthening...but more realigning exercises) and rested for 3 weeks and I never had it again.

Your quads can be "fine" and super strong and you can still have runners knee.  Runners knee is a patella tracking problem often caused by an imbalance.  It could be due to quads that are too weak or too strong or too tight compared to the hamstrings or one side compared to the other, or caused by hamstrings or calf muscles that are too tight, or any number of things.  A lot of time it's caused by over-striding, but not always either.  It's much more common in newer runners but it affects lots of experienced runners too, usually after significant change in training but not always even that.  It can be maddening in that sometimes it can appear to just come and go with no obvious cause.

When I started running 10+ years ago after a many year hiatus, I struggled mightily with runners knee for the better part of a year.  My quads were probably stronger than they are now (at least they were bigger) from years of mountain biking including racing, but they were strong in a different way and probably not as balanced for running as they are now.  And certainly my muscles and connective tissues were not as used to the repetitive, weight-bearing, impacts of running.  What worked for me was: ice, continuing to run, and going back to some quad strengthening exercises I had been taught in high school track (I really can't be sure if they helped or I just got stronger from running more.)

I also noticed that shorter, quicker strides seemed to help, so doing anything that develops your stride including incorporating some strides and/or hill charges into a routine probably helps--I do these things all the time anyway, not specifically to prevent runners knee but I suspect they help.

+1.  This is pretty much me.  I have really strong quads and hamstrings in both legs, always have.  Prior to running, I was into powerlifting and worked out my legs pretty hard.  After finding running, I eased up alot on the strength training for the legs but still did some to maintain some strength.  Never had runner's knee in the three years I ran until this past January.  It was a month after my first marathon.  Came back pretty slow, but started speed training and really ramping up stuff in early January for a March HM.  Out of nowhere the knee pain started.  The first month was really bad.  Had to stop two runs after a mile because of the pain.  Went to several people to look at it and all said I have very strong leg muscles, but the left quads were a little weaker than the right.  Even flexing you could tell.  The left were smaller than the right.  Runner's knee was diagnosed due to weak quads on the left leg.  I believe it was the VMO that was the weakest.  Anyway, I've been doing alot of quad strengthening workouts at the gym (3 days a week), X-bike classes two days a week, and ramped up the mileage from upper 20s to low 30 mpw to 40 mpw and the pain has been decreasing the last two months.  I'm also running only slower miles now.  No speed.  I've even PR'd two HM's and a 5K during this time. 

Like Mike, I now concentrate on form and stride and have a quicker turnover with a shorter stride.  I looked at some of my past photos from races and had my wife videotape me and I was definitely an overstrider, especially during races.  I was big-time heel striking.  I was pretty much putting on the brakes with each stride, and with weaker quads in one leg, the knee finally couldn't handle it.  Bottom line, find out what's causing the problem and fix it.  I had been in the same shoes since I started running (Mizuno Wave Riders) so I knew it wasn't the shoes. 

flatfootruns

Thanks for the input everyone...I 'm coming back slowly, so far no pain...I ran in a race (ran not raced) on thursday night, can't believe how hurting my cardio is after the lay off...no vo2max king here...lol

bhearn

I stand corrected... by you and by my chiropractor. That is indeed my diagnosis. Posterior right pelvis tilt + lots of recent hard, long races = very tight right vastus lateralis + relatively stronger vastus lateralis vs. vastus medialis = imbalance pulling on the patella.

The good thing, in my case, is that the treatment seems fairly clear, and there's no reason to think there's any long-term problem that needs addressing by altering my stride or shoes. Though I may work on strengthening that VMO. But damn, it really sucks to not be able to go more than 3-4 miles without pain. I am ready for this to be gone.

But damn, it really sucks to not be able to go more than 3-4 miles without pain. I am ready for this to be gone.

I hear ya.  I was training for a HM and was dealing with bad pain for two months before it magically started getting better.  I'm currently at 6 months since it first hit me and I still have some pain.  Not alot and some days virtually none, and some days a little more.  Nothing like the first two months.  I ran a 10K this morning with no pain in the knee at all.  Just keep working on the strenthening and you'll see improvement. 

dallasboycows

I haven't read the entire thread but stretch your illiotibial band out. number one reason for knee probs in my opinion is tight tendons/ligaments. stretch kneecap in all directions and all surrounding muscles.

I just ran a race today after dealing with lateral knee pain for the last two weeks.  I figured based on the posts regarding "running through it" on this topic, and other info on IT Band issues I could finish the half marathon at race effort.  Well, the good news is I finished, the bad news is, not my best time and now walking is not a fun activity, even around town (although a beer in hand helps).

I believe the cause of the issue for me was overcompensating on the down hills with my right leg/knee for an injury on my left leg during a 50 miler a month ago. My right quad was really tight the following two weeks and coincidentally the knee pain developed.  But now the right and left legs feel no different in terms of tightness or strength and knee pain continues.  In my somewhat limited physiological knowledge, I would think that as tightness and strength balance out knee pain would get better.  This has not been the case.  What Mikey writes scares me because it implies that it can come and go without detectable cause or solution.

I've found plenty of stretches online for IT band, but any suggestions for strengthening I can do without going to the gym?  I'm also considering biking to get in some more cardio but noticed mixed messages regarding biking and knee issues.  Like Bhearn I am ready for this to be gone.  I am getting slower every day...

I have had runner's knee due to tracking issues and IT Band flareup.  Runner's knee I could run through, IT Band I could not.  Needed a couple weeks off IT band and some serious deep massage.

Bob Bob and Bob

In my opinion...

I think the cause of  "runner's knee" is too often attributed to complicated-sounding pseudo-medical jargon.  Patellar misalignment, excessive (ant/post) pelvic tilts, excessive pronation or supination, ITB dysfunction...blah blah blah.  Depending on what healthcare professional you are going to, they will feed you their theory, even if research suggests that a large percentage of people with knee pain (whether it is labelled ITBS, runner's knee, PFPS, etc) do not see huge improvements with their brand of therapy (be it chiro, physio, acupuncture, etc.).

If you happen to see someone who sells orthotics, I guarantee they will find the root of the problem at your feet and sell you some fancy orthotics plus expensive sneakers.

If someone tells you that your quads are weak or your hams tight, I would wager that the differences between your two legs would not be readily appreciable to any "professional" using typical manual testing techniques.  They will argue differently.  (If you went in to get your knees assessed based solely on strength and muscle length and didn't tell them which knee hurt, I think most professionals would pick the wrong knee 50% of the time.) 

In my own experience (both personal and clinical), in general, I have found that a combination of (relative) rest and a glute (especially med./min.) strengthening program to be most effective.  A closer look at the patient's recent training regimen is usually quite helpful as well.  Often, people over do it and mileage (or intensity) needs to be cut back and appropriately ramped back up again symptom-free.  Perhaps a recent change in some aspect of their protocol is to blame.  I know that I transitioned from treadmill running to outdoor running too quickly a few years back and paid the price.

(I prefer one-legged-hip-hiking ex's and single leg stance with sustained isometric glute contractions.  Go to fatigue.  I think the exercises should be performed in the position in which the muscles will most likely be used.  In this instance, we all run in an upright, standing position.  The exercises don't have to be fancy, and one does not necessarily need to see a professional to try these at home.)

My two cents.

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/dietfitness/fitness/article/960175--researchers-get-hip-to-the-root-of-knee-pain-for-runners

dallasboycows

In my opinion...

I think the cause of  "runner's knee" is too often attributed to complicated-sounding pseudo-medical jargon.  Patellar misalignment, excessive (ant/post) pelvic tilts, excessive pronation or supination, ITB dysfunction...blah blah blah.  Depending on what healthcare professional you are going to, they will feed you their theory, even if research suggests that a large percentage of people with knee pain (whether it is labelled ITBS, runner's knee, PFPS, etc) do not see huge improvements with their brand of therapy (be it chiro, physio, acupuncture, etc.).

If you happen to see someone who sells orthotics, I guarantee they will find the root of the problem at your feet and sell you some fancy orthotics plus expensive sneakers.

If someone tells you that your quads are weak or your hams tight, I would wager that the differences between your two legs would not be readily appreciable to any "professional" using typical manual testing techniques.  They will argue differently.  (If you went in to get your knees assessed based solely on strength and muscle length and didn't tell them which knee hurt, I think most professionals would pick the wrong knee 50% of the time.) 

In my own experience (both personal and clinical), in general, I have found that a combination of (relative) rest and a glute (especially med./min.) strengthening program to be most effective.  A closer look at the patient's recent training regimen is usually quite helpful as well.  Often, people over do it and mileage (or intensity) needs to be cut back and appropriately ramped back up again symptom-free.  Perhaps a recent change in some aspect of their protocol is to blame.  I know that I transitioned from treadmill running to outdoor running too quickly a few years back and paid the price.

(I prefer one-legged-hip-hiking ex's and single leg stance with sustained isometric glute contractions.  Go to fatigue.  I think the exercises should be performed in the position in which the muscles will most likely be used.  In this instance, we all run in an upright, standing position.  The exercises don't have to be fancy, and one does not necessarily need to see a professional to try these at home.)

My two cents.

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/dietfitness/fitness/article/960175--researchers-get-hip-to-the-root-of-knee-pain-for-runners

Yeah, my primary physician always lumps every problem into one category.  Knee hurts, it must be this...... elbow hurts oh thats bursitis  No x-rays, no mri until your leg or arm falls off.  Seriously.  My back I had to have nerve injections and been on pain meds for 3 years, but not from my primary.  He gave me prescription motrin.  SERIOUSLY?  and an x-ray and said your fine. 

bhearn

My chiropractor is a 2:45 marathoner. He knows from running injuries.