Wingz, you'll get a kick outta this! (Read 898 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We have a cat who has never been good about using his litter box, at least not in the past 3-4 years. A month or so ago I noticed that he was straining to pee and urinating some blood, so we quick got him to the vet and a couple of rounds of antibiotics seem to have helped, but he is STILL peeing randomly. We have had most of the peeing issues with him during the warmer months--we figured warmer weather was making him uncomfortable and that was his way of protesting. But our vet suggested that outside cats might be making him feel threatened...BINGO! We have AT LEAST a dozen strays and outside cats from neighboring homes and the nearby apt. complex (where pets are verboten...people feed cats outside, don't have them neutured, and you know the rest of the story--we've seen at least one cute little litter following mom around our yard) spraying in our yard and taunting our cats through the windows. Ugh, I cannot wait to sell this place and move! Anyhow, here's the funny part...since our vet believes his problems are all mental (they had him in for "potty patrol" today to get a good urine sample and everything checked out fine) he has prescribed VALIUM for Gus! Dammit, I think *I'M* gonna start whizzin' on the floor, too! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, my! Valium, eh? Did you know cats can get kidney stones? Sweetie got those a few years ago - straining to pee and the most pitiful meow I have ever heard. Vet prescribed smooth muscle relaxants to help with his bladder spasms (he had a lot of crystals in his urine!) and antibiotics to help with the UTI he'd also managed to get! Vet also tried to sell me some ultra-expensive kitty food. I would have bought it if I had to, but he's been doing fine on a "Urinary Tract Health" low-magnesium formula. By the way, if you start whizzing on the floor for no apparent reason you may just end up with Depends and a nice vacation at your local mental hospital... Be careful! Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, we had wondered about crystals, but I guess they saw no evidence of anything abnormal. I was fully expecting to have to put him on that prescription Science Diet stuff. As it is our babies are spoiled with Iams. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

... he has prescribed VALIUM for Gus! Dammit, I think *I'M* gonna start whizzin' on the floor, too!
          Wow! Valium seems a little intense! Don't they make Kitty-Xanax? Poor kitty.. I hope he's doing better soon.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow! Valium seems a little intense! Don't they make Kitty-Xanax? Poor kitty.. I hope he's doing better soon.
            I thought that was sorta crazy, too, but I found these: one neurotic cat I didn't wake up to any puddles (at least not that I have found in any of the usual spots), so this may work. I wonder if they will put him on it permanently?

~ Sarah Kay