OUCH! What am I doing wrong? (Read 494 times)

I have been doing the majority of my runs on the treadmill, not because I particularly enjoy a treadmill (in fact I really don't like it at all) but lately it has been a choice between running or not.... Last week Thursday I noticed the top outside of my left leg felt funny while I was running on the treadmill and it hurt for a few hours after my run (right where the thigh bone goes into the hip bone). I rested for two days, then did a 7 mile run outside and my leg felt fine. This morning I did three miles on the treadmill and the same pain came back and I was sore for the majority of the day. Am I doing something wrong with my treadmill running? Is there something about my gait that I should be watching? Any ideas? Why would I hurt from running on the treadmill and not the road? My shoes are not old (about 100 miles) and never had any problems with them before and I am running slow easy runs and don't think I am overdoing anything....................any suggestions would be welcomed!
    finney

Resident pinniped

Your stride changes on the TM. It's probably something to do with that. If I do a lot of running on the TM, I start getting shin splints. It never happens outside (at least not since I got my orthotics, but I wear those on the TM too). The TM just doesn't agree with some people. You could try slowing down or speeding up on the TM to see if that helps, but if it doesn't run outside when you can and if you have to go inside, maybe do the eliptical or stationary bike instead if you get injured on the TM.
        I had a similar experience several months ago with the pain that you're describing. It persisted nearly every time I ran...I ended up seeing a doctor and was diagnosed with a hip flexor strain. I was told this was a common injury for people just getting into running, and people using the treadmill often. I rested for several days and was prescribed an anti-inflammatory called Naprosin (I think). After about a month of painful running, it went away and I haven't had the pain for a few months. That said, you've been running consistently, so I don't know why this would be cropping up now specifically, other than logging more treadmill miles. It may have nothing to do with you, but your symptoms sound eerily similar, so it might be something to look into if the pain doesn't subsist.