Etiquette Question for Faster Runners (Read 1192 times)

pandajenn19

This weekend I ran in a relatively small HM where I was last for about 10 miles. Smile (I should note that while I am far from a speedster, I am proud of the race. I wanted to be under 12 min/mile, I wanted to not be last at the end and I wanted to finish faster than I started; I did all of these things.) Anyway, the course was set up with start and finish in the middle with an out and back to either side with a small loop on each end. This was run twice. So (if you can picture what I meant by that) while I was last much of the race I was constantly being passed by people going the opposite direction, and before I finished my first 'loop' I was lapped by the fastest runners who were finishing up their second 'loop'. I cannot begin to count the number of 'good job' 'you go girl' and even a 'keep it up hun' comments that I got from people (strangers) going the opposite direction. I've never had this happen before because I've not run a race with this kind of course set up before. I know it was painfully obvious I was bringing up the rear, and while I appreciated the comments, the sarcastic side of me wasn't so sure I liked being complimented for my perseverance. Wink But, I wanted to be gracious because I know everyone was just being nice, and I do appreciate the sentiment. So my question after all this rambling is - when a fast runner cheers on the slow runner in the middle of the race (while the fast runner is also still running), what is the appropriate response from the slow runner? Anything? I always say thanks to the race volunteers and any random sideline people when they cheer, but it seemed very different when the cheering people were still in the middle of their own race. If you cheered on a slow runner while you were still running, what would you like to hear in response?
      a "thanks' would be sufficient if you have the breath.... Big grin otherwise a wave and a big smile.... Big grin
      jeffdonahue

Not that I am super-fast, but I have passed some people in my races and always cheer them on or try to give some words of encouragement (especially those that look like they might be struggling a bit). When someone cheers me on I actually dont respond except maybe to smile back at them. And I find the same goes for when I cheer others on. The other (faster) runners dont know exactly how you are feeling at that point but want to help by cheering you on, and they do understand that if you dont respond it may be because you are just trying to focus on keeping moving forward. Granted that isnt necessarily the case for everyone (and I'm not in any way stating that you were struggling) but I think a smile is appropriate if you dont want to say anything - they wont be offended that you didnt respond. If you throw out a quick "Thanks" that is fine too.
        Scout7

I've never expected anything in response, to be honest.
          pandajenn19

Well, sounds like the couple of 'thanks' and mostly smiles that I sent out were appropriate. I do know it's nice for people to cheer like that, but it just felt odd. Maybe I did look like I was struggling, or maybe I just have issues with being slow and don't have the appropriate level of gratitude to fully appreciate the cheers. Smile Thanks for the input!

thumbs up!

Congrats on your HM. Was it your first?
              2010 Goals
              1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
              2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
              3. sub 30 min 5k
              4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
              pandajenn19

Congrats on your HM. Was it your first?
                Yes, sort of. Smile It's the first one I'm counting as a race because it's the first that was official. I host a virtual race every few months on another site and have done the HM distance for it, but then I was running solo. So, while I trained for it and planned for it as if it was official, it certainly wasn't what most people would consider a race.

The voice of mile 18

<quote pid=" if you cheered on a slow runner while you were still running, what would you like to hear in response?</quote> "nice butt" ;) j/k i don't expect to hear anything back pid=" If you cheered on a slow runner while you were still running, what would you like to hear in response?</quote> " nice="" butt"="" ;)="" j/k="" i="" don't="" expect="" to="" hear="" anything="" back=""></quote pid=" if you cheered on a slow runner while you were still running, what would you like to hear in response?</quote> "nice butt" ;) j/k i don't expect to hear anything back >

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Depending on my energy ... 1. THANKS!! and a wave 2. Wave and smile 3. Smile
                    2009: BQ?

Beatin' on the Rock

LOL! The faster runner would end the race with a smile, for sure! Wink
                      Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm always bringing up the rear, and I LOVE it when faster runners cheer me on! It always makes me smile. I guess it's because I don't mind being so slow - I'm just thrilled to be there. If faster runners take the time to encourage me, I really appreciate it. I usually say, "Thanks!" unless I'm struggling up a hill. Teresa
                        JakeKnight

If you cheered on a slow runner while you were still running, what would you like to hear in response?
                          A smile is fine. A head nod. Something like that. Try not to flip them off if they get a little too annoying. I know it happens. Unless they start telling you "you're almost there" at mile 20. Then you're ethically obligated to flip them off. And don't sweat it if you don't have it in you to respond. At mile 23 at good pace, I can't offer much more than an ugly grimace and a grunt. If I have the energy for a wave and a smile, then I ain't really racing. Remember that for someday when you're not in the back and you're doing the cheering. Just because they don't smile doesn't mean they don't love you for the cheers.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

I pretty much agree with everything that comes ahead. In the few times where I've been passed in the other direction by faster runners, they always ignored me (although I've cheered them on!) and I've gotten a range of responses when cheering on people that I'm passing in the other direction. I expect no acknowledgement and just hope that they hear and appreciate my encouragement. A thanks, a smile, a nod, a wave, that is nice but not necessary.

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I'm always bringing up the rear, and I LOVE it when faster runners cheer me on! It always makes me smile. I guess it's because I don't mind being so slow - I'm just thrilled to be there. If faster runners take the time to encourage me, I really appreciate it. I usually say, "Thanks!" unless I'm struggling up a hill. Teresa
                              I'm right there with ya Teresa! I love to hear the encouragement. I figure anybody who takes the effort to give me a word or two remember what it feels like to be the person who needed the encouragement. So they probably understand when I can barely manage to mutter back at them!
                              Heroes never die. They just reload.
                                have to vote for "nice butt". a close second would be "i'm coming to get you next year" congrats on your first half! keep smiling and keep running.