Once versus twice a day... (Read 1110 times)

Giants Fan

I have a quick question...what is the benefit to running twice a day versus once a day? Why do runners do this? Just a newbie wondering why... Thanks! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

The Greatest of All Time

I do it to get more miles in. And I am dorky enough to like starting and ending my day with a run. Tongue If your question is would it be better to run 10 miles once per day or 5 miles twice per day, I would say the answer depends. A little of both would probably be best. My daily runs are never the same length am v. pm. One is always longer than the other and one is generally faster than the other, but it's never consistent. I don't really plan runs, only make time for them. Pace and intensity are based on how I feel. I like to keep it simple.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have a quick question...what is the benefit to running twice a day versus once a day? Why do runners do this? Just a newbie wondering why... Thanks! CC
        For me, it's more about time than anything else. I ran a total of 10.5 miles yesterday, broken up into 6.5 and 4. At no point in the day did I have time to run that many miles continuously, but by breaking the run up, I was able to do more.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

C-R

A question that has been nagging me too. Marcus and Jeff or anyone else doing doubles. At what base mileage per week do you start? Do I need to run 40 mpw continously prior to trying this? How many days per week (1,2...) do you limit. I like the idea of split times to get miles but am very worried about injury. Been there done that and have way too many of those dang t-shirts and don't want any more. I've been injury free for several months and want to keep it that way but want to up miles too. A conundrum no doubt.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Marcus and Jeff or anyone else doing doubles. At what base mileage per week do you start? Do I need to run 40 mpw continously prior to trying this?
            I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I mean, I've only averaged 13.6mpw for the last 4 weeks, but I doubled yesterday and am already over 20 for this week, hopefully en route to 35 or more. (10% rule, my ass). If you plan on running the same total mileage but simply splitting some runs to get there, then I think it's no big deal at all. If you're trying to increase miles, you really just have to listen to your body, and I'd say don't do doubles on consecutive days. It's really the rapid mileage increase that will cause injury more than whether or not it's two runs per day. (Do as I say, not as I do). If anything, I think you may have less stress doing 5 miles twice per day as compared to 10 miles once.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

At what base mileage per week do you start? Do I need to run 40 mpw continously prior to trying this? How many days per week (1,2...) do you limit.
              I say proceed with caution. Try a double one or two days a week and go from there. It's like anything else with running, incremental increases. Looking at your log it appears that you average about 5 miles per day, so take one or two days next week and maybe add a second run of 2 miles. My initial plunge into doubles this year was completely due to time constraint which frustrated a desire to get more miles in. But I usually take one complete day off per week and do nothing. By Friday, I am pretty tired from doing 4 days straight of doubles. MTA: Prior to 2008 I rarely did double runs. But mentally I was used to doing double or triple workouts from my triathlon days. I guess I really like being physically tired.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                Well I’m no expert, so take any advice I might give with a grain of salt, but here’s my 2 cents! I as well run twice daily to get more miles in. I also started running twice daily because Blaine said it is a good thing to do and he seems to be a good source of info Big grin . As I want to be running 60+ mile weeks, I don’t find it feasible to be averaging 10+ mile runs per day. I like breaking things up so I can actually have time in the evening to spend with my wife. While its not bad, I don’t want to come home every day, go out for a 1.5-2 hour run, make dinner, eat, hang out for an hour, and go to bed (we’re “young-fogeys” and go to bed around 9:30PM). I also don’t want to give up my one solid day off a week (usually Sunday for me), just because I think it does do me good to have one day totally off to recover. I started the 2x daily runs when I wanted to break 50 miles/week for the reasons stated above. My plan is to only do them 2-3 days a week depending on how I feel, and I try to space them as far apart during the day as I can.. thus the 4:30AM wakeups this week. Although I haven’t been doing it (I get too eager and excited!) I really should be running at the new higher mileage for at least 2-3 weeks before increasing it again. Like Marcus I don’t run identical distances. My first run is generally the longer higher intensity workout, and I like to think of the second one as a recovery workout (even if the paces might not be at recovery pace). Also like Marcus, I run depending on how I’m feeling at the moment so I don’t get too blinded by the numbers and push myself too hard. That’s just my recent experiences as an experienced-beginner. Or maybe I can move up to the novice-intermediate category now… I don’t know. What we need is to wait for an ultra-marathoner to come along and preach words of wisdom... or wait for Blaine. He seems to know his stuff pretty good Smile

Hawt and sexy

I run doubles only when I am following a program like Pfitz's, but even then, I have been known to combine the doubles if that fit in my schedule better. I have no problem going up to 80 or 90 mpw without doubles. But i have big swatches of time available and I train for mainly marathons. Meh, do what you want to do. It's all possible, just get the miles in.

I'm touching your pants.

Why is it sideways?

This thread (fair warning, it's from the 2000 mile swamp) might be helpful.
                      I don't quite understand the physiology of it (jump in Trent or any other MD or physiology expert) but a new theory I've read says that doubles promote the release of IL-6 more than singles do, which causes your body to make more physiological adaptions, therefore increasing your endurance. see this: http://www.poweringmuscles.com/article.php?id=68 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleukin-6 The first place I saw this theory was in "Brain Training for Runners" by Matt Fitzgerald. I'm going to give doubles a try when training for my next marathon.
                      JakeKnight

This thread (fair warning, it's from the 2000 mile swamp) might be helpful.
                        I learned a great deal on the subject in that thread (and in the LetsRun.com thread that inspired my question). But take Jeff's warning seriously. The Swamp is not for the thin-skinned or faint of heart.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

But take Jeff's warning seriously. The Swamp is not for the thin-skinned or faint of heart.
                          Very true. And, like the rest of the internet, it's not G-rated.

Hawt and sexy

Yeah. Thin-skinned individuals just can not handle the swamp. Better don the tinfoil hat before entry.

I'm touching your pants.

Giants Fan

Ok, so here is what I think I'm getting from all of this.. When I start training for my marathon, on the longer mileage days, its ok to split that mileage up into two runs...but I should also try to leave one day for a longer run to get my body used to recover from it. I'm also gathering this is a purely personal decision...no real evidence of benefits either way? (and yes I braved the other thread). What about getting your mileage in, then adding on just for fun? Did I get all of this summed up correctly? CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Why is it sideways?

Ok, so here is what I think I'm getting from all of this.. When I start training for my marathon, on the longer mileage days, its ok to split that mileage up into two runs...but I should also try to leave one day for a longer run to get my body used to recover from it. I'm also gathering this is a purely personal decision...no real evidence of benefits either way? (and yes I braved the other thread). What about getting your mileage in, then adding on just for fun? Did I get all of this summed up correctly? CC
                                The purpose of doubles is to run more at a lower cost risk of injury, not to split up runs that you would otherwise run as singles. As for the "real evidence," it depends on what counts as real evidence. Many people have been successful incorporating doubles into their training. All elite runners double. Since they make their money maximizing their training, that's probably a good indication that doubles work. I think, also, that the best way to see through the fuzzy question of singles vs. doubles is by realizing that every run is a single. The real question is how many singles per week it's best for you to run. If the answer is more than 7, then you'll probably be doubling. Even if the answer is less than 7 times per week, there may be reason to double--since you may want more time than one day to recover between runs. The main reason why people run singles is because they only have time or energy for one run a day. This is a very good reason to run singles.