Running with plica syndrome (Read 81 times)

stshipley7

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with plica syndrome about six weeks ago, and have continued to run aggressively, as I have some races coming up that I care about. Right now I can run quite well most of the time, but I have difficulty walking in many situations and I cant really walk up or down stairs. I have been icing, stretching, doing the prescribed physical therapy, but I feel like it's getting worse. The running doesn't seem to bother me, but I can't help but think I'm hurting myself doing so.

So what do I do . . . Keep training for races? Back off training? Stop running altogether? There is little consensus on the internet other than to rest. But what do the wise voices on this board think?

-STS

Fortunately for you, you came to the right place. I just googled it, and wikipedia says to be cool for awhile, take some NSAIDS, let the inflammation die down, then get back after it.  Sounds like it's just gonna take some time, other wise you could just keep on keepin' on and run the risk of further exacerbating your problem, aaa-ight.

btb1490

I dealt with plica syndrome for years.  It would flare up.  I would rest it.  It would get better.  It would flare up.  Rinse.  Repeat.  I think eventually the plica gets thicker and tougher over time, and the occurances become more frequent and take longer to resolve.  Eventually I had mine removed.  It was ok for about 2 years, and I started having the same issues again.  Got it operated on again to clean up any scar tissue and remaining plica left from the first surgery, and have been good for the last 10 years.  That's been my experience anyway.  If you continue to run on it, it will probably just keep feeling worse.  If you rest it, it will eventually probably feel better.   It sure is annoying.  Best of luck.

stshipley7

I appreciate the feedback. My last run was Friday, 5 days ago. I might try another run after Xmas, but for now I believe the rest from running, AS MUCH AS THAT SUCKS, is helping.

Cheers,

-STS