Rotator Cuff Tear - crosstraining ideas? (Read 848 times)

#artbydmcbride

I am having surgery to repair my rotator cuff tear on Jan. 23, next Wednesday. After that I will be in a sling for a few weeks. Apparently I shouldn't swing my arm at all for the first week, and after that can gradually move it some just not extremely. Has anyone had this done? What kind of things did you do to stay in shape? I have a gym membership, I don't go much. Can I still jog slowly? Thanks! Smile

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

Jostling for a couple weeks will likely be uncomfortable and if you are in a sling, even slow running is probably out. Stationary bike is probably best, recumbent bike if you can get one so you dont have to put any weight on your arms. After it starts to heal you might want to try elliptical without arms.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

#artbydmcbride

Thanks! You can do the elliptical without using your arms? I will try that.

Runners run

Lazy idiot

Some might say you get a better workout not using the arms on an elliptical. Wink

Tick tock

#artbydmcbride

As long as I don't fall off! One of my arms will be strapped to my side. I can't afford to lose my balance.

Runners run

Lazy idiot

Use your core muscles to balance (and keep yourself from swishing side to side). I know from experience that this is easier said than done, but you'll be much stronger for it in the long run. MTA: Not using the arms will actually improve your balance.

Tick tock

I actually started running after a rotator cuff injury, afraid that my kayaking and sailing career was history and I'd become an enormous terminal couch potato, but then again, I never claimed to have common sense. Mine wasn't as bad as it sounds like yours is, though - severe strain/sprain and didn't need surgery, thank goodness. And I was really just slogging - mostly walking, running short intervals at around 15-16 min/mile. It hurt. A lot. And was probably a really stupid idea. If it were me, post rotator-cuff surgery, I'd probably stick to the stationary bike for a while and then try elliptical and/or walking as soon as I could manage it. Best wishes for successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Follow your post-op physical therapy plans diligently. And don't be too proud to let percocet be your best friend for a short time after the operation. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

btb1490

Another vote for the elliptical sans arms. I often keep my hands on my hips and let the legs do everything. Please don't do what my friend did after his rotator cuff surgery. He thought he could bike outside while steering with one arm, and ended up crashing and doing even more damage. Stick to the indoor stuff! Best of luck next Wednesday. Sending good thoughts and healing vibes your way!