First Twelve Miler (Read 1522 times)

juniordo1

As am I.  I find NSAID's to be quite helpful when necessary.

I have read that NSAIDs such as ibuprofen can reduce blood flow to the kidneys. It is my opinion that I should refrain from NSAID's after a long run until kidney function has returned to normal.

It was not my intention to trun this thread into a dsicussion about NSAIDs. We could certainly discuss this in another thread in the appropriate area beacuse I too am interested in the prevailaing knowledge-based information that is available today.

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Click

i am on a regimen of 2 aleve in the am and 2 in the pm. i can not run with out this. if i can't run, i'll die.  so i guess i'll die.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

i am on a regimen of 2 aleve in the am and 2 in the pm. i can not run with out this. if i can't run, i'll die.  so i guess i'll die.

Fwiw, the other aspect of NSAIDs is that it can impact your bodies ability to recover. I read that in a few articles, but initially in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Body-Exercise-Stronger/dp/1605298611/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297711000&sr=1-2

L Train

The milage is base on a Higdon plan and this run corresponds to Novice Supreme Week 19 so I'm patiently mirroring the miles in the plan.  I was surprised at how much more punishing this was than the 10 miler from a previous week. I finished that run strong and did not suffer the stiffness/soreness. This is my first shot at any training plan but future plans will definitely incorporate higher weekly mileage.

That's fine, and at least you have a plan you are following.  But I suspect these long runs will continue to be painful until you can work in more weekly mileage.  Every time you go further you are likely to experience the same types of issues in my experience until your body adapts. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

http://philmaffetone.com/l/tr26ta/4070448;http://lavamagazine.com/training/dietary-alternatives-to-nsaids#axzz1D5v1Sw95

tried the alternatives....didn't really help me but that IS me. probably too fah gone already but for a freshah body, i'm sure this has merit. carry on.

RunningAhead's Steepler

I looked at your log and noticed that your long run is typicaly 50% of your weekly milage, so I'm going to beat a dead horse. Higher weekly milage will more then likely allievate those aches and pains after longer runs. Its your body adapting to new stresses that you put it through.

Pr's 400: 51.5 800: 1:59 1600: 4:27 3200: 9:48 5k: 16:06 10k :36:12 HM: 1:24 Marathon: Coming in 2015-2020

GGW

tried the alternatives....didn't really help me but that IS me. probably too fah gone already but for a freshah body, i'm sure this has merit. carry on.

rcuch - tread carefully - maybe you are young and think popping a few blue pills is no big deal and it gives you the mental calm to run another day.  weekend warriors and professional athletes alike develop mental addictions to these over the counter NSAIDs and i have seen the consequences.  i am a dialysis tech and i have a couple of patients that were really good marathoners...WERE being the operative word.  i even have one patient that claimed that the discomfort of dialysis (his kidney failure in addition to serious stomach issues was caused by abuse of alleve/advil in order to qualify for, as applicable, and complete all 5 major marathons) was only alleviated by more alleve.  i watched that patient stroke out in the waiting room one afternoon and he no longer can even walk and barely feed himself. 

just remember - pain is the body's way of telling us we've gone too far and discomfort is the body's way of telling us we need a better battle plan

GGW is 100% right. thank you for postin that.

juniordo1

I ran my first 15 mile training run yesterday. It was interesting to say the least. I ran this  long run on a Wednesday instead of Saturday because of scheduling conflicts.

This was the first time I had done a long run the day after another run. I had done a comfortable 3 miler the day before. This was also the first time I had run a long run at the time of day the marathon will take place.

I chose this run to try a new fueling/hydration combination. Instead of only Powerade the whole way, I used water and Twizzlers. I did this because Powerade or Gatorade don't ride well and my stomach becomes upset. I've never used gels on runs but they make me queasy just trying them in a non-running situation. Gels also make my throat burn regardless of water intake.

The Twizzlers/water combo did not upset my stomach at all so I was pleased. I'm not sold on changing from the energy drink though.

I said this run was interesting but here is why:

About 8 miles in my right hamstring started cramping. The cramping subsided about a mile later

At 12 miles I started running out of gas. I had two distinct moments when my brain said STOP! I can't really explain the feeling but my brain was telling me something like - hey you better stop or you will pass out or fall down. Walking for 45 seconds helped these feelings pass but when I started running again I couldn't maintain my previous pace.

I din't have any quit in me so I slogged out the last three miles and finished although more slowly than planned.

I've listed soem reasons I think this run went bad on me:

1) Inadequate carb loading before long run - normally carb load through the week and rest the day before

2) Waited too long to drink/fuel - drank /fueled starting at 4 and then 6, 8,10, 12

3) Changed fueling strategy

3) Went out too fast

4) Wasn't used to running at this time of day

5) Inadequate rest - only 6 hours of sleep the night before

This run was significant because it was probably the worst I've ever felt in a long run. It was also my longest run ever. Although bad things happened, I am optimistic because I handled adversity and kept going. 16 miles next week. I'll run a smarter run

Note: I tried a cold bath after the run and I loved. it. I just left my compression shorts/tee on and climbed in. I feel really good with very minimal soreness/ fatgue today.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I would do more shorter runs for a better fitness base before ramping up your long runs so much.  FWIW, I would get off the treadmill, too!

You shouldn't need to fuel or even hydrate every two miles for a run of that distance.  Just eat, drink, and rest well in the eight or ten hours leading up to the run (but don't overdo it in the hour or so immediately before the run), and you should be fine.

Maybe you're overthinking all of this.  Just run by feel and enjoy it.  Don't beat yourself up to the point that you need to take drugs for your recovery.

juniordo1

I would do more shorter runs for a better fitness base before ramping up your long runs so much.  FWIW, I would get off the treadmill, too!

You shouldn't need to fuel or even hydrate every two miles for a run of that distance.  Just eat, drink, and rest well in the eight or ten hours leading up to the run (but don't overdo it in the hour or so immediately before the run), and you should be fine.

Maybe you're overthinking all of this.  Just run by feel and enjoy it.  Don't beat yourself up to the point that you need to take drugs for your recovery.

Prior to the runs on my log, I was running 3-5 miles every other day for a year. It's still winter here in Minnesota and the sub-zero wind chills yetserday kept me on the dreadmill.

I was hydrating/fueling at those intervals as practice to see what my body likes/doesn't like.

Maybe my mind was sabotaging me  because I was BORED! No NSAIDs following this run - just the cold water bath.

I agree with the others.  You may find it helpful in understanding why you are having pain, and why we are saying that adapting your approach may be helpful.  I find training schedules very helpful, but you also have to listen to your body, especially if it is giving you warning signs.  

The pain you experiencing is because your body, specifically your muscles and bones have not adapted (yet) to the level of stress you are doing.  This causes tissue damage.  The good thing, is that the soreness you are feeling is in large part due to the breakdown and repair process that will eventually lead to stronger muscles and bones that will allow you to run long distances without pain. 

Fluid, electrolytes, and carbohydrates have some, but much less impact at distances less than 16 to 20 miles.   Most studies have not found a link between muscle cramping and electrolyte imbalance. 

Since you recovery quickly, you could continue on with your plan, but you will risk injury that may set you back more than taking alternative steps. 

These include:

1. Slowly increasing miles in the week, and not increasing long runs until you have a better feeling at the end of the run.  You want to have the workout stress your body, but not to the extent you are currently feeling
                              2. Add muscle strengthening exercises during the week, again start slow
                              3. Avoid NSAIDs, as these disrupt the normal process of breakdown and repair that is needed to build muscle

A nice book about these issues is “The Runner’s Body” by Ross Tucker and Jonathan Dugas.   I will admit that they have strong opinions on certain topics, and some of their discussions are not balanced - there is still a lot of debate on some issues, but I found it a nice intro to running physiology.  

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??