Hamstring Pull (Read 568 times)

Go Pre!

Quick fix neded! My wife pulled her hammie. It's been sore and tight for a week now, with a week left until our marathon. She had to cut today's run short. Anyone have any experience getting back on track with this? I am thinking she should not run except for maye a tune up on Friday to get her legs back. It would be a shame for her to have to mss out after all of her training Black eye
    PWL

Has been

Stretching & icing tends to work the best. I wouldn't have her run on it. Hope she feels better!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

SMART Approach

I would not be aggressively stretching a hamstring pull. You can stretch a little if warmed up. Ice regularly and hope she is a fast healer. Have her cross train and test a run in a couple days. If she cannot run pain free, she probably should not do it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Yeah. I would completely avoid stretching it too. I found running with a hamstring problem means slowing down. Speeding up increases soreness - or converts soreness/tightness into pain. I agree with Tchuck. If she can't run pain-free - skip the marathon.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Hammy pulls are the one injury I've never been able to run through. Rest and ice, and hope the running gods are smiling on you. Hope it works out for her.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Oh Mighty Wing

Here is a stretch my PT gave me. Sit on bed, put sore leg on bed and not sore leg off bed. With hands behind the back lean gently toward toe. Hold for 30sec repeat 10x. This was not a pull but he said it was a gentle way to help and the best way to stretch as opposed to more common methods.

The Greatest of All Time

Do you have one of those foam rollers? You could have her sit with that roller under her hamstring which will gently stretch it out. These foam rollers are amazing and every runner should have one.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  I was able to run through mine, and R.I.C.E. (especially the ice and compression) really helped me. I took shorter strides and for my pull, it felt like the small strides actually aided in recovery. I definitely didn't stretch-the little stretching I did initially made it so much worse (though what ShanHas posted has me very intrigued so I am going to try that-thanks!!). Hope she feels better ASAP!

Go Pre!

Do you have one of those foam rollers? You could have her sit with that roller under her hamstring which will gently stretch it out. These foam rollers are amazing and every runner should have one.
                    We have one of these. Seems to be helping Looks like we'll go with rest until Friday. Going to try ice to. (alternate ice & heat actually) Her run Friday will determine whether to opt out, switch to the half, or go for it. There is another marathon 4 weeks later so al will not be lost hopefully. Thanks!