Do you use Forerunner 50, Macs, and RA. Why GPS? (Read 933 times)

I'm coming back to running this summer and I want to ditch my Polar HRM because it doesn't transfer to Macs. I'm thinking of buying the Forerunner 50 which is a great bargain with all the bits included. But will I be able to transfer my info to Running Ahead? Or at all if I'm on a mac? or will I need to use a different site? Also, what is the advantage of using a GPS enabled one, like the 405?
    Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt

Dave

I can't speak for the 50 or 405 but I presume they are similar to the 305 in terms of mac compatibility. With the 50, the main thing you're giving up is actually having GPS data. Pace and distance are computed from the foot pod. Accuracy might be a little lower (debatable I'm sure) and it doesn't give you the ability to depict your run on a map (I use Sportracks under VMWare since the Garmin Training Center maps suck) or to measure elevation change on your run. On the positive side, the 50 will capture heart rate and pace data for treadmill workouts. I've seen people recommending a software package called Ascent on the Mac that works with the 205/305/presumably 405 but I have no personal experience. Lots of Garmin addicts on this site. I'm clearly one of them.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Thanks dgb2n I'm not sure that I'm too interested in the gps function. I'm sure it would be nice, but I don't want to spend that much money since I have the Polar alrady. I just want to have targets and see if I am reaching them etc.
        Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I can't speak for the 50 or 405 but I presume they are similar to the 305 in terms of mac compatibility.
          Actually, that's not the case with the 405, yet.
          Mac users will also need to wait a little longer for Garmin Connect support with their 405's. The Forerunner 405 uses the ANT Agent for uploads. Mac support for the ANT Agent is scheduled for late 2008.
          The 405 uses wireless syncing and syncs via some sort of wireless USB dongle; the software (ANT agent) isn't done for the Mac. Don't know why Garmin didn't just set this thing up to sync with Bluetooth -- it would have saved them from inventing their own wireless protocol (and all Macs support Bluetooth out of the box).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

According to their website, they didn't actually invent ANT. Some other company did and you can put the little circuit boards in almost anything. Plus, bluetooth is a pretty big battery draw. But I agree that bluetooth would have made more sense...you're only using it for a few minutes at most.
              But I agree that bluetooth would have made more sense...you're only using it for a few minutes at most.
              This is true if you are just uploading, but they use ANT for their heart rate monitors and foot pods also. Which communicate with the wrist unit every few seconds (or so).

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Dave

Actually, that's not the case with the 405, yet. The 405 uses wireless syncing and syncs via some sort of wireless USB dongle; the software (ANT agent) isn't done for the Mac. Don't know why Garmin didn't just set this thing up to sync with Bluetooth -- it would have saved them from inventing their own wireless protocol (and all Macs support Bluetooth out of the box).
                One more reason I'm sticking with my 305.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

brsafford

Until the correct mac drivers for the ant device are out, i'm using vmware fusion and running windows virtually so I can upload my forerunner 405 data. Works like a charm using virtual windows and the various apps.