Home Made Sports/Recovery/Energy Drinks (Read 1091 times)

C-R

Quick question for the RA world. Does anyone make their own sports/recovery/energy drinks? I find the gatorades, powerades, accelades,..... of the world not to my liking (require too much cutting with water for me) and am looking for some experiences and recipes. If this has been covered in another thread, drop me the link as I could not find it on my attempts during a search. Thanks.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The Greatest of All Time

My standard recovery drink is: 15g of whey protein 50g of dextrose Sometimes in water, sometimes in milk. FYI, I have been using this exact mix in water during my long runs and know I recover quicker and have little or no muscle soreness the next day. My mix is in about 20 ounces of water, BTW.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Not homemade, but this is a good recovery drink:

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I concur! Big grin
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My standard recovery drink is: chemical a + chemical b
            I ran 100+ miles last week drinking yogurt smoothies (yogurt, fruit, sugar or honey) after each run, without any soreness or loss of ability. Marcus could only eek out 60 or so miles on his artificial stuff. Wink Evil grin
            C-R

I already do that - sheeeeshh. And I will have you know I prefer a better brand of beer than that English swill called newcastle. Wink Crap I can't get the image thing right but its a Guiness in case you wondered. I guess I've had too many already today to work my computer properly. I haven't yet put this into my hip bottles but might try it.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

The Greatest of All Time

I ran 100+ miles last week drinking yogurt smoothies (yogurt, fruit, sugar or honey) after each run, without any soreness or loss of ability. Marcus could only eek out 60 or so miles on his artificial stuff. Wink Evil grin
                We'll see. I got a 100 miler coming for you next week buddy boy. Wink

C-R

Sometimes in water, sometimes in milk.
                  Thanks Marcus. Milk on long runs - doesn't that get kind of gamey? I would worry about carying that with me for a twenty miler in the Indiana heat. I once used G2O and liked it since it wasn't over-powering but am looking for more than H2O during my run. Trent - I like the yogurt smoothie idea and will try that this weekend.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Marcus and I are both really talking about recovery drinks, to take after the run. During the run I usually drink a simple carb/salt mixture in water, such as lemonade with some salt (unless I am using a sports drink).

The Greatest of All Time

Thanks Marcus. Milk on long runs - doesn't that get kind of gamey?
                      As Trent noted, with respect to milk, I was referring to recovery drinks. No way I could drink milk during a run. My during long run mix is the same protein/carb blend in water. My blend has the same carb to protein ratio as Accelerade (4:1) but tastes a hell of a lot better and doesn't jack my stomach up. I use chocolate whey protein and it tastes a little bit like semi-sweet chocolate flavored water. It might sound gross but it's not that bad. It's just way different than the normal sports drink flavors. But I know you can buy unflavored whey protein.

C-R

Thanks guys. I agree on Accelerade. Nasty stuff. Tried it for the first time at Country Music marathon and I have no use for it (didn't bother my stomach but just plain yuck). I assume you get your ingredients at GNC or other health food outlets?

The Greatest of All Time

I assume you get your ingredients at GNC or other health food outlets?
                          www.fitrx.com They have about anything you need and a lot of stuff you don't. I happen to live 15 minutes from this place which is nice. But their prices are good. The Dextrose is like $4 a bag. It's made by NOW foods and will last you a long time. I prefer Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. You can buy whey protein at Walmart, but I don't know what brand they sell (probably EAS though). You should be able to get Dextrose locally at a health food store, like somewhere Trent would shop. Wink Just make some phone calls.

C-R

Thanks Marcus. Whey from Walmart? I didn't think that was something you could import from China. I'll try Fitrx and see if I can find a local health food shop. Trent - do I have to wear a tye died shirt and Birkenstocks to get into a place like that? Also, if there is some secret password or handshake could you pass that along too so I can get the member discount. Clowning around

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, but the handshake is pretty easy. Crocs are a reasonable alternative too.

The Greatest of All Time

Crocs are a reasonable alternative too.
                                And I know you wear these too. I have seen pictures of them. Yuppie-Hippy..wait....Yippy. Trent is a Yippy.