Home Made Sports/Recovery/Energy Drinks (Read 1091 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Nope - Hippies came first, so it's gotta be Hippie-Yuppie - a Huppie! Evil grin
    Chris UK

I have used this made with cocoa powder - http://www.dissidents.com/articles/sportsdrink.htm

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

I've seen a lot of people using maltodextrin in the past for their homemade drinks. What would be the differnce between that & dextrose? One of the arguments I saw for maltodextrin was that is was absorbed slower than some other carbs, but others say it has a high GI which would contradict that? It's hard to know what's best. I've also seen suggestions to get a good mix of various carbs... maybe I'll try that?

The Greatest of All Time

I've seen a lot of people using maltodextrin in the past for their homemade drinks. What would be the differnce between that & dextrose? One of the arguments I saw for maltodextrin was that is was absorbed slower than some other carbs, but others say it has a high GI which would contradict that? It's hard to know what's best. I've also seen suggestions to get a good mix of various carbs... maybe I'll try that?
          Dextrose=Glucose. Highest GI. Maltodextrin will work too. I picked up the Dextrose bit from body builders and a book titled "Nutrient Timing". Since it has such a high GI, it causes a huge insulin release, which in the presence of protein is a good thing, assuming it's post exercise. Huge insulin releases any other time are not desirable.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            For a recovery drink after long runs, I've been using what we have for breakfast just about daily: Protein shake using whatever soy or whey protein powder I can reasonably get at Trader Joe's, my coop, or wherever, fat free milk, plain yogurt, OJ (8 oz each of the liquids) banana, berries (rotate blue, rasp and straw.) Mmmm. I have oh, a few ounces before the run and say, 10 ounces after. Key to recovery is to get it in you w/in like 30-45 mins, or so I've read on the Internet. And experimentation seems to validate. I have wondered if using homebrew malt extract would suffice as a Gu-like thing.