HR Zones (Read 500 times)

Just bought a heart rate monitor as have been wanting to experiment with heart rate training. My question is, for a standard easy run what would be a good range ofr % of Max (197).

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

I just started HR training a couple of months ago, so take this with a grain of salt... That's about my max, and I do my "easy" runs at about 145, so I guess that's about 70% or so. I do GA at 150, tempo at 165+, and my "MP" effort is thought to be about 155-160, but that's untested in a real race.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This article describes methods for determining heart rate zones and describes the zones. MTA: Use this spreadsheet to calculate your zones based on the results of the 30 minute time trial. The articles page of the same site has several items regarding heart rate training.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

SMART Approach

Generally most runs are at 70-75 percent of max or slower if recovery run. Need to know true max and not use formula for best accuracy. 2 ways I recommend to determine max HR or close to it: -5k race with strong finish and sprint -or warm up 15 min and do 2 min hard-recover 2 min then do 4 min hard with last minute real hard w/ sprint finish preferrably up a hill. Look at HR within 5 sec.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I've been a serious HRM user for 12 years and I use the Karvonen HRR method of calculating my zones. My tested max is 170 and I use a resting HR of 45 although I can get it as low as 39. 70% or 133 is where I do all my easy mileage. When I'm at my peak, such as the few weeks before a marathon, this gets me an 8:20-8:40 pace. Today, it would probably get me 8:50-9:00. My 26.2 miler last Sat was 8:45 pace with an AHR of 137 I think. It's on my log.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.