How much faster do you get by losing 10 lbs? (Read 2053 times)

evtish

Wondering how much faster you got from losing weight. I know this is not an independent variable, since running probably went along with the weight loss, but I haven't seen the data on this anywhere. Just curious, my current pace is 15 mm and I'd like to get down to 4mm in the next month or two. Thanks!

Just Be

Take it with an *extreme* grain of salt: http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/weighteffect.php
      evtish

HS, that was a fast response. Thanks!
        Jeff2

Each pound slows you by 3 seconds per mile.

The voice of mile 18

depends how much muscle or fat do you lose? do it right and lose fat you'll be fast do it wrong and lose muscle not helpful.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Just curious, my current pace is 15 mm and I'd like to get down to 4mm in the next month or two. Thanks!
              It's gonna take more than weight loss to get from 15 minute miles to 4 minute miles! Wink Generally your pace will increase 1-2 seconds per mile for every pound you lose. Tom
              BTY

You will need to lose about 2,200 pounds in the next month. Everything I've read says this is unadvisable. At 2 pounds per week, you should be doing 4mm by the year 2030, +/-.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

You will need to lose about 2,200 pounds in the next month. Everything I've read says this is unadvisable. At 2 pounds per week, you should be doing 4mm by the year 2030, +/-.
                  LOL! My laugh for the day. So I will be doing 4 minutes per mile when I'm 68! I can be patient. Teresa
                  evtish

Thanks. I was serious about the weight loss question, goofing around on the pace thing. Big grin I guess you guys do read past the first sentence Wink
                    JakeKnight

The answer obviously depends on countless variables. There is no simple formula. If you assume ALL OTHER THINGS remain exactly the same, you should get a little faster. More to the point, you'll run easier, train easier, and recover quicker. And be at less risk for injury. And heart disease. Plus, chicks will dig you.
                      It's gonna take more than weight loss to get from 15 minute miles to 4 minute miles! Wink
                      I'm assuming he meant lose 4 minutes per mile. Then again he also asked if running makes holes in ones more likely. So who knows?
                      depends how much muscle or fat do you lose? do it right and lose fat you'll be fast do it wrong and lose muscle not helpful.
                      What he said. Modified to add:
                      Thanks. I was serious about the weight loss question, goofing around on the pace thing. Big grin
                      I assumed wrong.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

At 155 lbs - 15 minute mile (first run) Month later (running three times per week approx 20 -30 minutes each run) 144lbs - 10:40 minute mile That's my experience.
                        LTD

I don't think it is the weight loss that makes you run much faster. It is the running. Although, weight definately helps some. I am was 210 lbs four weeks ago and ran 27:48 5K I have been running quite a bit for a month. Just ran a 24:32 5K, at 203 lbs. So, in a month I lost 7 lbs and dropped my 5K time3:16. Does that mean each lb. ment 45 seconds a mile for me? On the other hand, I train with a teammate who played in the NFL for three years. He is lifting heavy this off season while running with me. He gaind 2 lbs. in that same month and dropped his 5K time 1:40. Think about this too... he is 6'4 285lbs and runs 24:10 5K. And dropping his time. He will get faster. I think running lowers your time a lot more than weight does. Terry

SMART Approach

Let's just say it helps. Hard to get an exact figure and it may vary from person to person. My estimate on myself and I am pretty lean is about 1-2 sec. per mile per fat lb. lost.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I've got a naive question. I've seen a couple hardcore women in my area, hardcore as in bodies so slim, they look like tiny, breakable birds, though I realize they're at great "fighting" weight for a runner. Am I wrong to suspect that someone with so little bodyfat might have a weaker immune system then if they had a little more weight on them? On one hand, they gotta be tough because they're getting out there for huge mileage, but I wonder how they manage it when they look almost sickly. Am I basing too much on appearances?

My Hero

Wondering how much faster you got from losing weight. I know this is not an independent variable, since running probably went along with the weight loss, but I haven't seen the data on this anywhere. Thanks!
                                How about reversing the question and say, how much slower do you get by gaining weight? This way we will all know the answer. Since it takes months even years to loose weight, ones fitness level will continue to improve in spite of struggling with loosing weight so it may be difficult to get an accurate #. It would probably help if anyone wishing to try this experiment uses a heart monitor, that way we can be totally objective. For this test, take (1) 20 lb. dumbell plate and find a way to secure it to your upper body. Go for a 5 mile run. Record your time. Subtract the difference of what you would normally run that distance / heart rate and there it is. Clowning around