Oh I can't wait (Read 671 times)

I have to say I am always suprised when I get geared up for a race. I think a few weeks out... oh no big deal it is just another race... it isn't even the race I am targeting to peak at for the year... but here I am a couple days before the race... having worked really hard over the past month or so... Perhaps I made a mistake but yesterday I opened it up just a bit and was really cooking a few miles... my weight has come back to right where I wanted it going into this race... I am totally not sure I can hold 7:00-7:15 for 10 miles (running a 10 miler)... but at the same time all signs and training... and my 5k performance say it I can... if the weather is cool... projected to be high of 83 that day... but it will probably be 70's durring the race... Anyways... I am pumped up and ready... and I hope I always get this excited before races... How long have you been running races? and do you still get geared up for a race?

De-slacking in progress

Jsobo- are you running the Akron Marathon on the 27th? I'm thinking about going up there just to watch, except for the fact that I drive up there to work 50 mins each way and havn't decieded if I want to drive up there an extra day. I'd like to see it. If I would have thought about it earlier, perhaps i could have volunteered somewhere. I'm running Navarre 5K- fastest in NE Ohio on Saturday. I'm not 100% and was/am all geared up for a new PR but I don't know if it's going to happen. YES- I love being around other like minded people verses my solitary daily running

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

How long have you been running races? and do you still get geared up for a race?
        I ran my very first race (a 10 miler - the Morgan Monroe Miler - Bloomington Indiana) over 25 years ago...and I have been in and out of running since.....I have no idea how many I have run but there was one period when I ran a race almost ever weekend..........I have run a marathon, tons of 1/2 M and even a 30K race---- countless numbers of 5 milers and 5K races...... The short answer -- YES --- I get geared up for every one.... Now days I ran a race every two months or so...but Im alway geared up.... I just cant help it....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Anyways... I am pumped up and ready... and I hope I always get this excited before races... How long have you been running races? and do you still get geared up for a race?
          Something happens when you pin on a bib, or lace up a chip. Even if you aren't racing all out, there are times during every race where instinct just seems to take over. I actually have the bib from my first race (a two miler in 2002) my first half (Applefest in 2005) and first full (Manchester City Marathon in 2007) in a frame. Just looking at it makes me want to fill out an entry form. For the first couple of years my running was very inconsistent, and that two miler and a four miler were the only races I ran. I wish I had found this site a lot sooner, I wouldn't have wasted so much time.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Jsobo- are you running the Akron Marathon on the 27th?
            I'm actually running the perfect 10 miler this weekend... Been all over the place on Akron... from I am running it to racing it... to not ... to doing a relay... ... I wouldn't be apposed to running it slowly... at between easy and recovery speed... but I am not up to racing it... not yet... I am going after a fast fall 1/2 right now... aiming for a race on 11/2 in elyria... talked about putting together coed relay... isn't materializing... BUT I am going to pace a friend through their first 1/2 at the towpath marathon... right now in my training I am running comfortable 40 mpw... with a speed workout... midweek longer run... and a weekend long run... 15 felt good the other day... and I burned 9 yesterday... I am almost ready to peak.... I think I need 3 more really hard weeks then a week of easier work and rest and I'll be ready to really smoke 13.1 this 10 miler will tell me how far away from running 13.1 @ 7:00-7:15 pace I am... OH I AM SOOOO PUMPED UP ... I smell a pr! Granted I have never run a 10 miler before. BUT I think I will crack my 15k pr... as I pass that point... in this race... which that PR is a 7:31... I am so ready to smash that... oh I can't wait to see what race day energy gives me... and what compitiion pulls out of me...

IMKY13 finish!!

How long have you been running races? and do you still get geared up for a race?
              I have been running races for nearly two years now...and I still get pumped about them. In fact, I'm getting pumped about the one I am doing tonight. It's called "Howl At The Moon" and it's just a 5K...but I'm excited none the less. Last year I techniclly got 3rd in my divison, but since I did not correctly fill out the paper work (my fault), I did not receive the kewl looking trophy (the top three did). Tonight, I'm looking to place again (called the RD earlier this week to verify my division) and bring home that hardware. Wish me luck!!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

I have been running races for nearly two years now...and I still get pumped about them. In fact, I'm getting pumped about the one I am doing tonight. It's called "Howl At The Moon" and it's just a 5K...but I'm excited none the less. Last year I techniclly got 3rd in my divison, but since I did not correctly fill out the paper work (my fault), I did not receive the kewl looking trophy (the top three did). Tonight, I'm looking to place again (called the RD earlier this week to verify my division) and bring home that hardware. Wish me luck!!!
                Good luck... and I'll be rooting for you! From one ex-bp-med taker to another!
                  Every race I have ever run has pumped me up. I LOVE to race (I hate to train) PLEASE let us know a full race report when you can.

IMKY13 finish!!

I LOVE to race (I hate to train)
                    I second that motion!! Big grin

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

xor

I'm coming up on my 200th marathon and ultra. I've run about 100 halves. I don't know how many shorter races. I dunno about "geared up". I still get butterflies, especially the night before and double especially during the minute or so before the gun. Sometimes I get excited, either because the environment promotes excitement (Disney's start what with all the fireworks/flamethrowers) or for internal who-knows-why reasons (like whenever I run Kona, my home course). Sometimes I just stay petrified. Almost NEVER is it "just another run", even after 180ish long ones.

Prince of Fatness

Funny you mention this. I have a race tomorrow morning, and I'm not all that wound up over it. It's a 4 miler, and not a goal race. I just don't have that race ready feeling right now, which is OK. I know I am in decent shape and will do alright. But I know what you mean. I ran a HM this past spring, and I was climbing the walls for a couple of weeks leading up to the race. I think I peaked just right for that one. I ran a PR, the ran another PR 3 weeks later in a 5 miler.

Not at it at all. 

BigOwie

Well.......that happened

Anyways... I am pumped up and ready... and I hope I always get this excited before races... How long have you been running races? and do you still get geared up for a race?
                          Just got back into running this year. 2 races so far this year, and my first duathlon this weekend during the Tri-Indy event in Indianapolis. But to answer the second part of the question, I am, and have always been, antsy as all get out. Competition drives me! Excited, nervous, whatever it is, I love it. Unfortunately 75 hours in 7 days at work has really hurt me in this week leading up to the race, but I'm excited, should be a good time. Also.......after the du I'll shift gears to train for my first half marathon on 11-1. We'll see how that goes. Good luck in the 10 miler Jsobo, and everyone else racing this weekend.
                            Every race I have ever run has pumped me up. I LOVE to race (I hate to train) PLEASE let us know a full race report when you can.
                            I'll write one up later but it was a PR... and I beat my 15k pr time in the 10 miiler... 15k pr = 1:10:00 10 mile PR 1:09:56 Blush I'll give a full race report later... time to hit the tub for a good soak...