Weird letter from Ins. re: low vit. D levels (Read 488 times)

Needs more cowbell!

Has anyone ever gotten one of these (it's Aetna, if that makes any difference)?  I've never received a letter like this and I can't figure out if it's random junk mail or if it's more specific than that.  On the front the letter says that they are contacting me to alert me to a potential issue, then on the back they list "your care considerations: Check for a low vitamin D level."  It says that their data shows that I may be at risk, but I've never been told this by my PCP.  Of the risk factors they list the only one that I fall under is being overweight (and I am pretty much on the line between healthy and overweight.  I can cross that line either direction depending upon water retention/DOMS/dehydration).  My PCP has never once made an issue of my weight, just so say continue doing what I'm doing and commending me on my fabulous blood work in terms of lipids and low BP, pulse, etc.

So is this something that insurance companies just do?  It doesn't seem particularly official, but I've also never been notified by mail of anything like this, before.  Is this something they perhaps do once a person nears 40...?

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 6 duathlons (1 Olympic distance)

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

A Saucy Wench

I think it is a new trend in "managed care" where they flag you for all kinds of things.  So far I have been with my new insurance company (Cigna) less than 6 months and have already been "enrolled" in two managed care programs for conditions I do not have but they think I have based on something in the billing codes. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Dance with Monkeys

So is this something that insurance companies just do?

Yes.

Needs more cowbell!

This is kind of what I'm suspecting, too.  Aside from the weight thing, my only other risk factor could be living in the upper-Midwest...lots of cloud cover and/or skin not seeing sunlight for much of the year.  I get the feeling that this letter is not entirely me-specific.  I was just in to see my PCP a month or so ago for my twice annual (being dropped to 1/year, yay!) allergy/asthma check and nothing was said then.  I haven't had any blood work in the meantime, either.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

Needs more cowbell!

Yes.

I wonder why this is the first letter of the sort that I've gotten.  They've not bothered me about my overdue pap (because my ob/gyn had to cancel twice and I gave up trying to reschedule until after DS is back in school).  So is there any use in having D checked, or am I safe to assume that if it were really low that it would have been caught already?

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

A Dance with Monkeys

They've not bothered me about my overdue pap

Perhaps. Perhaps not. There are now new recommendations to have this done every 5 years...

So is there any use in having D checked, or am I safe to assume that if it were really low that it would have been caught already?

Low vit D is very difficult to detect clinically, and there are recommendations around screening for it. So no, it is not safe to assume this.

Needs more cowbell!

Perhaps. Perhaps not. There are now new recommendations to have this done every 5 years...

Low vit D is very difficult to detect clinically, and there are recommendations around screening for it. So no, it is not safe to assume this.

Yep, I'm fine with not having the babymakin' stuff checked more often than that, anyhow.  Unpleasant!!! Tongue

The other interesting thing with this letter is that it wasn't immediately obvious that it was from Aetna.  It was addressed from Active Health Management.  At first I was wondering if it were some spam from Active.com.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals: