New to forum...50 days to 10K seeking advice (Read 594 times)

Hello All, I have been monitoring this forum for about a month and decided to dive in and join this great community! I am preparing for an upcoming 10k run and would like some feedback from anyone that is willing on how to best prepare for this event. Date is set for May 17th. Here are my stats and situation: Male, Age 40, 5'8" 172lbs, no health issues currently. Here is my story...August 2007 I set a goal of running in a 10K by May of 2008. With that in mind I figured going from couch and fast food to a 10K was going to take hard work and dedication. I knew I needed to start slow as to avoid injuries so my monthly goal was to increase by roughly 1 mile each month up to May 2008. I took the entire month of September and did nothing but stretch and walk. I started like others with a short distanced and worked my way up to 1 mile by month end. I began October (my first "real" month of jogging) with a walk/run mix until I was at roughly 1 mile running by the end of the month. Well, here I am 5 months later and I have exactly 50 days to my first 10K. I am up to about 5 miles three times a week, with shorter 2 mile runs in between. (I filled out the running log for March so far, so hopefully it shows up). Anyway I am running about 3days on 1 rest, 4days on 1 rest and so on. If anyone has any helpful feedback I would greatly appreciate it. At this point I don't really care about time, just crossing the line and being able to say I DID IT!!!!! Thanks! babeba67
      Good story and welcome. I'm not exactly sure what advice you're looking for as it sounds like you have a grasp of the basics. If you're running 5 miles 3 times a week I have every confidence that the 10k will be no problem.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I agree, sounds like you're doing well! I ran my first 10k last August, and I wasn't nearly as well-prepared as you. The one piece of advice that helped me the most was to start out SLOWLY. The excitement on race day really does tend to get you carried away, so you have to rein yourself in. Then if you feel OK, you can pick up the pace later. Be sure to post a race report for us! Good luck. Teresa
          You are in a good position to run a your first 10K. You've built your mileage slow enough and although you are a little light on mileage to seriously train for a 10K, you'll have no trouble completing one. I would recommend the CoolRunning Beginners 10K program and you'll be starting at about week 5 of the 12 week program. You've been running about the same mileage as the first few weeks of the program and the only thing you've missed out on is the speed work. Be wary of the speed work in the rest of the program, it's extremely hard on your legs and your mileage is just barely adequate to be doing it. Keep your pace down to where you don't end up breathless during your run or extremely sore the next day. Speed work will do you little good if you end up missing your race with a pulled muscle. The McMillan Running Calculator is an excellent guide to how fast you should be doing your various runs according to your level of conditioning. Tom
            Thanks to both of you for the welcome. I guess I was looking for some feedback on my training schedule. I am alternating days of what I call my "long" run of 5 miles now. I am starting to feel that a rest is due about every 3 or 4 days on a 7 day week. For Example: M=5 T=2.5 W=5 Th= Rest Fr=2.5 Sat=5 Su=2.5 M=Rest I know there is no exact science to this, just looking for advice on coming off the rest day, should this be the long run? Or should I do a long run then rest the next day and come back with the same distance, etc. Also, thanks for the tip on race day. I run with my iPod to songs with the same BPM so to keep my pace on track. Last question...How do I make my running log viewable to forum?
              Great info Tom...thank you so much, I'll take a look and see if it's adaptable to what I have accomplished to this point. B

SMART Approach

Got to give advice to a fellow medical sales person. You will have no problem finishing now. In next 50 days below are a few tips to help you perform a bit better but still safely progress with more miles. Firstly, I recommend you do a 5K race soon. Just find one and get an idea of your fitness. Also, it will help you get a feel for what a race is like i.e. preparation, eating, pacing, environmnent etc. Also, your time will give you an idea of training paces. Also, nothing wrong with another 5K in a few weeks. Here is weekly progression to slowly work up to in next 6 weeks 3 6 w/ faster finish last mile or two, jog 2 min and then 4-5 X 100M striders at a quick pace w/ full recovery between 3 rest 3 7-8 doing 4-5 quick striders 3 or rest This will still allow you to continue to progress. You can do this. Do what you feel comfortable with.Also, if you are feeling good, no need to take a couple days off a week. Just do a slow 2-3 and this will enhance your progress. Listen to your body.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

To make your log visible, Click On options in the top right hand corner and then click on "My Log preferences". Check "Allow everyone to see my running log". Regarding the 10K in 7 weeks or so, you are well on your way there, Like Figbash recommends the Coolrunning beginer 10K is a good plan. You do not have to do the races in week 6 and 8, if this is your first race those are for who are targeting a race and want to improve their "race preparedness" to do well in the target race. other than the weekend mileage you basically seem to be following the program. Just increase the weekend long run by half a mile each week if you dont want to do the program exactly.
                    Thanks Tchuck and HMhopeful, Tchuck...I've been the industry as both a med device and pharma rep...we'll have to talk some time Yes I've got the 5k covered...running tomorrow morning in my first ever official run. Figured I'd do at least a couple 5k's one tomorrow and another mid-late April, just for the protocol and to get a feel for the environment as well as establish a "floor" for my pace. I will look closely at the advice on upping the easier days from 2/2.5 to 3 miles and adding in a quicker pace in the longer runs. This seems like a good plan. Also, thanks to the tip, I have my running log viewable now. I have data from Jan-present documented, but only input data for March. B