Return after l o n g hiatus (Read 220 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Hi all. It's nice to be back. Had to take an unplanned 9 months off due to ruptured Achilles. When I finally was ok to run I seemed to have lost the motivation so I have had about a year off really. Piled the weight on too. Just been out for 2 miles,it was painfully slow and I could barely breathe I feel like noob again, and I am not sure how to build up again. what is the best thing to do please?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Welcome back!

I'd suggest building out:

1. Frequency
      2. Duration
      3. Intensity

In that order.

Frequency.

Are you a 6-day-a-week runner? Then run 6 days a week to re-establish the habit. Keep the runs short and easy, just get in the routine of suiting up and heading out.

Duration.

After 3-4 weeks, if all systems are go, start building out the runs - still easy. 45-60 min for regular runs; 90 min for mid to long runs.

Intensity.

After another several weeks, once you have the habit and the endurance base, start adding intensity.

Liz

pace sera, sera

GinnyinPA

The problem with coming back to running after a long break is you remember how you used to be, so the present seems discouragingly difficult.  Try to remember what it was like starting running for the first time, because essentially, that is what you need to do, start from scratch.  You will be much slower and it will feel more painful than you remember.  The good news is that you do regain your fitness.  The bad news is it won't happen overnight.  It takes time and patience -- much more than you expect right now.

I've had to start over twice due to injury.  The first time, I pushed myself too hard and got reinjured.  The second time I kept it slow and easy for a few months until I got back my ease with running and was able to safely build my mileage again. I started with 10 mpw, then in about a month went to 15, then in another month 20, then 25, etc. It was discouraging though, because, with long runs especially, I remembered being able to do them much more easily before.

Slow-smooth-fast

Thanks for the advice. I used to run about 6-8 times a week but I think that would be a bit much if I started at that again. Like you say I can't remember it being this hard. Suppose I just need to for the habit again. A lot of you guys will remember me here. Had some great threads back then in the day. Glad to be back.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I remember. Good times ...

If 6-8 times a week seems like a bit much out of the gate, you can start by just putting on your shorts and doing a lap around your bedroom.

As you've said, it's a habit. And, changing clothes is half the battle.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Slow-smooth-fast

Just been out for  3 miler. Sticking to Maffetone training for the foreseeable, it will help build my fitness again and get me stronger. Running at just 11:34 per mile average, pitiful but good things will come, I just need to be patient.

BeeRunB

Welcome back, again, Eddy! Sorry to hear about the achilles. Ouch. Good health and good running! 

jfa

What Ginny said.

Take it easy and welcome back.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

No solid advice from me, just chiming in to say that I'm in the same boat as you eddy.  Been about a year since I ran a race that put too much hurt on my IT band and it hasn't let me run for a while.  Luckily, it did not stop me from biking and rock climbing, so I'm still in pretty good shape and much stronger in the upper body.  Good luck and hopefully things go well for both of us the second time around.