Do you run faster on a TM or the road? (Read 1007 times)

evtish

Assuming a relatively flat road, do you run at a faster pace on the treadmill or on the road?? Right now it seems about equal for me. I usually have the TM set at 1.5 incline. Although it's really hard to find a relatively flat road where I live. I live off a street called Hill St, next to the town's water tower. The end of all my home based runs really SUCKS! Maybe I should end my routes at the bottom of the hill and walk up for my cooldown. WHAHAHA.
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Running on the road I'm about 15 seconds per mile faster based on the same perceived effort. MTA I don't think anybody really knows why.

My legs are killing me

Definately the road.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I usually do my TM running at 1% incline. TM running feels much harder, but my heart rate is about the same at a given pace whether it's TM or flat ground outdoors. So I think it's mostly psychological. So for me, the answer is road.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

my answer is ROAD...
            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
              Road - somtimes almost a minute per mile faster for the same perceived effort. Running my road pace (which is pretty slow to start with) feels like a sprint on the treadmill.

The Greatest of All Time

Well recent race results suggest I am faster on the treadmill. My fastest 5k this year has been 18:50, but this morning I ran a 4 mile warm up, then a 4 mile progressive tempo run (I sped up every mile; see log entry). Anyway, I ran the first 5K of that 4 miler in 19:01 and was not even close to being spent. My HR for my last two 5K's has been in the low to mid 180's. This morning the highest it got was 175 and that was at 5:53 pace. I have also done mile repeats faster than 5:30 with a one or two minute jogging recovery, but it's not reflected in what I have done at a race so far. Confused.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Life is Good

Definitely the road

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Lazy idiot

...that was at 5:53 pace.
                    At least your treadmill goes faster than 6:00/mile. Lucky dog.

Tick tock

Non ducor, duco.

TM! definitely!

For comparable effort, I run faster on the roads. But I don't run on the dreadmill any more than I absolutely have to.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Definitely the road. On the TM, I did a mile in 9:54, trying pretty hard, but in a 5k, I did the same distance in 9:48 and it didn't seem hard at all.

The Greatest of All Time

At least your treadmill goes faster than 6:00/mile. Lucky dog.
                            Yeah, mine go up to 5:00 pace. Have had it there a couple of times; albeit very briefly Big grin
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                              TM at the YMCA-I was always a good MINUTE faster than outside... TM I bought-I am sooooooooooooo slow on it (or if I run on it effort is so much harder)...I am hoping there is some natural incline I am not aware of...

Lazy idiot

For comparable effort, I run faster on the roads. But I don't run on the dreadmill any more than I absolutely have to.
                                Ditto everything here.

Tick tock