VO2 Max (Read 378 times)

stick

Hi does anyone know the vo2 max is not populating in your stats ? It used to be next to the number of calories you had burned.

Many thanks for any help in advance

Everyone so often, someone would ask about VO2max and how it is calculated. Then a debate ensues on whether it's even valid.  Several users contacted me and urged me to remove it to avoid confusion.  I removed the VO2max calculation from all workout types exception for Race because it is applicable only at your maximal effort.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Hi Eric, I noticed this too and was curious.

Why remove it? I think it's useful.  If folks don't want it, they could just not look at it.  

I think it has to do with the perception of what it represents. I would recommend changing the name from vo2max to VDOT which is what these actually are, since they are pseudo vo2max values based on time and distance rather than a lab test.

I think it's useful to give an "equivalent performance" for any training run. I know there's some debate of it's value, but I like to compare the VDOT of a workout versus my average heart rate.  That one number represents the combination of the pace and the distance, and I have personally seen strong correlation with an increase in my fitness and a rise in this metric as I increase my distance.  Especially for those of us who may not race as much, I like it as another way to track a change in fitness.

Also, this is not a number that folks could easily figure out themselves as you well know, the formula for calculating it seems unnecessarily hairy for those who aren't so keen on math. As I posted in a previous thread, this is the formula if folks want to figure it out themselves:

percent_max = 0.8 + 0.1894393 * e^(-0.012778 * time) + 0.2989558 * e^(-0.1932605 * time)
        vo2 = -4.60 + 0.182258 * velocity + 0.000104 * velocity^2
        VDOT = vo2 / percent_max

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Daniels_(coach)#VDOT

VDOT

In the 1970s, Daniels and his colleague, Jimmy Gilbert, examined the performances and known V̇O2max values of elite middle and long distance runners.[4] Although the laboratorydetermined V̇O2max values of these runners may have been different, equally performing runners were assigned equal aerobic profiles. Daniels labeled these "pseudoV̇O2max" or "effective VO2max" values as VDOT values. According to Daniels, VDOT is a shortened form of V̇O2max, properly stated as "V-dot-O2max".

With the result of a recent competition, a runner can find his or her VDOT value and determine an "equivalent performance" at a different race distance. Given that runners with identical V̇O2max values may have differences in running economy/efficiencybiomechanics, and mental toughness, Daniels concludes that VDOT is, due to this holistic view, a better value from which to assess fitness and determine training paces.

2014 Goal: Run faster than 3:37:07 in the NYC Marathon (3:37:50 :( but amazing time anyways!)