How much would you pay to race? (Read 1198 times)

OK, I'm cheap and I'm about to sign up for a race that's a lot of money (I'll provide more information once I actually sign up).

It's a goal race that I've been dreaming about for a few years that I'll likely talk about 30 years from now to whoever has ears to hear (in other words, I think it's a big deal).

Now, when it comes to all race items (ie. entry fees, travel, lodging, ...), what is the most that you've paid to race?

I'm hoping to read about some huge numbers so that I can be convinced that what I'm planning on spending for this race is not crazy.

Cheers,
    Brian 

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

The two years I've done Boston it has cost me about $1,000 total each time.  Easily worth the money, would be worth triple.  I go out with the family and spend $50 on a meal we wont remember in a week.  Think about how many things you really remember from the last ten years.  Now think about how much non-esential stuff you spent money on you completely forgot about.  A event you will remember a lifetime is worth pretty much.

mta:  Boston was fairly cheap for me because I didn't have to fly and stayed in a relatively cheap hotel both times.  Many of the other runners easily spend $1,000 to $1,500 more.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I just paid about $1,500 total for a race I DNFed. I had free lodging, otherwise it would have been almost $2,000.

That said, the entry fee was quite reasonable.

Liz

pace sera, sera

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Bermuda Marathon $2500 for 2. DW does not run.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I paid $135 to run the Vegas HM last Dec.  That didn't include my flight, lodging, food, etc.  It was worth every penny to spend a weekend with a bunch of RA gals and their SOs (and meet Eric in-person!).

I would love to do a HM in Scotland, someday.  That's about the only overseas race I could see shelling-out that kind of money for.  Mostly because I'd love another excuse to see Scotland and meet some of the UK RA contingent, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

DoppleBock

Boston $1,000 for me - I did it once that was enough

The two years I've done Boston it has cost me about $1,000 total each time.  Easily worth the money, would be worth triple.  I go out with the family and spend $50 on a meal we wont remember in a week.  Think about how many things you really remember from the last ten years.  Now think about how much non-esential stuff you spent money on you completely forgot about.  A event you will remember a lifetime is worth pretty much.

mta:  Boston was fairly cheap for me because I didn't have to fly and stayed in a relatively cheap hotel both times.  Many of the other runners easily spend $1,000 to $1,500 more.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

A Saucy Wench

Boston was closer to 2K for me.  Wont do it again.

Monkey is usually around $600-$800 for me.

But I refuse to pay the $135 to race Portland Marathon in my own backyard

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Y'all don't know nothing until you register and travel to an Ironman.  Not only are they supremely expensive just to register, NOT ONLY do some events require you to be at a local location just to register (meaning, a second trip), but you also get to ponder "traveling with your bike".

WEEE

Prince of Fatness

I haven't qualified for Boston but if I did I would not run it.  I don't like crowds.  And before anyone mentions "the experience of running Boston", yeah OK, but the experience for me would be crossing the finishing line with a qualifying time anywhere.  I could spend a lot less than that on a race like the Monkey and meet just as many RA folks and would enjoy myself more.

To answer your question probably the most I have spent on a race is about $500 or so.  That includes hotels, meals, race registration, everything.

But that's just me.  It's your money.  Only you (and any immediate family) can decide if it is worth doing.

Not at it at all. 

Imminent Catastrophe

I would love to do a HM in Scotland, someday.  That's about the only overseas race I could see shelling-out that kind of money for.  Mostly because I'd love another excuse to see Scotland and meet some of the UK RA contingent, too.

Loch Ness Marathon. You can do it! It's cool, so you won't cramp. You won't be sorry. 

To answer the OP, it depends. I've paid a lot for some races--NYC, Honolulu, San Francisco, Miwok. I wouldn't have paid that much for other races (like R&R races, for instance). It's all a matter of personal choice, what does that particular race mean to you? 

You said:

It's a goal race that I've been dreaming about for a few years that I'll likely talk about 30 years from now to whoever has ears to hear (in other words, I think it's a big deal).

That tells me it's worth the cost. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Loch Ness Marathon. You can do it! It's cool, so you won't cramp. You won't be sorry. 

Milwaukee, Bayshore, Grand Rapids...all cool.  Still cramped.  But if there's a Loch Ness half I'd be SO in for that!  Or any other HM in that neck of the woods. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I paid around $3000 for the Hardrock 100 this year.  The race entry fee was only $250, but I spent two weeks in the San Juan mountains, renting a house, etc.  Made a vacation out of it. 

I paid $135 to run the Vegas HM last Dec.  That didn't include my flight, lodging, food, etc.  It was worth every penny to spend a weekend with a bunch of RA gals and their SOs (and meet Eric in-person!).

This!

I also once paid near over $500 for a 5k. It was supposed to be a 15k, and I was supposed to have a friend sharing the cost of the room in Chicago...neither happened.  But, was one of the most fun 5k's ever...and met a couple great RA gals and got chocolate!

I want to run the Athens Marathon someday.

I've spent way too much on races!  The most costly was San Fran marathon, with flight, hotel, car, registration, extra days spent along the coast...etc.  Spent nearly $2,000 total on that adventure.  Worth every penny though.  Also, Vegas was expensive since that included two flights and a few extra days.   The bad part about far away races is that it uses up my running/racing budget very quickly.  I'm staying local (within driving distance) for any races till the new year.  Big grin

For me, it's all about making memories with friends, meeting new people, seeing new places, & checking off more states on my marathon quest.  If it weren't for running I really wouldn't get to travel. 

Michelle

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm even cheaper than MrPHinNJ. I'd probably only do Boston if it were combined with a family travel.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.