How much would you pay to race? (Read 1198 times)

protoplasm72

It looks as if you'll be paying less per minute of racing than you would in a typical 5K. Plus, I've never seen a 5K tattoo.

I've paid $150 to climb the Sears Tower (Willis Tower) which only takes me 20 minutes.  Technically $100 of that is a donation so at least it is tax deductible.  I used to do 4 tower climbs a year but they are all expensive so now I just do the 1.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

kcam

I totally understand the 'don't like crowds' thing.  I race local marathons and races almost exclusively EXCEPT when on of my other running family members sets up a family meet-and-run somewhere.  Last year we got together in New Orleans for the RNR Half/Full marathon (we had 6 family members running either the 1/2 or the full and a bunch more spectators).  The year before it was Boston (3 family members running) and this coming year we're heading to Houston to watch the trials and run the race.   If it's not for those occasions I wouldn't go to any of those big-city destination event/races.  So, I'm with ya MrPH .... except for Boston.  I'd  recommend it at least once in your life if you're a runner but, again, I understand your attitude completely!

So, I've spent some pretty big dollars going to these races but it's just as much a family re-union as a race.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I  really really really dislike  flying. Could use a sedative on most flights.  I  endure flights. DW endures races.

PS: Looking for a marathon / ultra in India 2012. Long flight = Long run.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I  really really really dislike  flying. Could use a sedative on most flights.  I  endure flights. DW endures races.

PS: Looking for a marathon / ultra in India 2012. Long flight = Long run.

This one looks cool.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

A Saucy Wench

Most people don't give a shit.  And really, why should they?  It's just running.  It happens to be my obsession (apparently) and I hope that I'm not "that guy" who doesn't read the room correctly and goes on and on about stuff while eyes roll back into heads.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Julia1971

I've had a no-traveling for races rule (which I'm hoping to break next year for Boston), so I'm guessing the most I've ever spent for a race is $125 or so.  Between gear, my other sport and gym memberships; I probably spend at least $200/month on hobby-sporting as it is and the penny-pincher in me feels like that's a lot.  But, if you asked how much I would pay to do something I really, really want to do - I spent $2k on motorcycle lessons, a cheap bike and gear.  That is a lot of money for me to spend in one shot, but I had very little hesitation at the time.  I was having so much fun.  I've since sold the bike and taken some ribbing from friends and family, but really have no regrets.

northernman

Fight The Future

On a somewhat related note, what are some really cool marathons to do in Europe (Loch ness sounds great)? I'd like a good (or bad) excuse to travel there. Only been to Europe once, and just for a few days

xor

On a somewhat related note, what are some really cool marathons to do in Europe (Loch ness sounds great)? I'd like a good (or bad) excuse to travel there. Only been to Europe once, and just for a few days

If you like wine, then the answer stops at the Medoc Marathon.

Julia1971

If you like wine, then the answer stops at the Medoc Marathon.

If I ever travel for a race internationally, I think I'll run that one based on your recommendation, the website, and my appreciation of wine.  Smile