Race with killer hill - help with training (Read 653 times)

I am registered for an 8k race on April 5th. 2 years ago, the 5k race was my first ever race. What a rush! I wasn't even well-trained for it, but I made it. This 8k has 2 hills, with the last one about 800 metres long. It feels like a 60-degree angle - I swear! I am not worried about actually making the distance, because I have run alot farther than that, but I just want to do the best I can. What do you recommend I do now to train for this? I have a nice base and feel strong - I'm not too worried about time, since it will be a PR but I'd like to feel good at the end. I do run in a hilly area, but the hills are not as steep as this one and they are all through my runs. This one is at the very end. I have a nice long hill not far from where I live (not as steep, though) and I was thinking of running up that hill at the end of my runs to train. How many times a week would you recommend for hill training? Thanks Ruth

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

VictorN

If you are regularly running hilly routes as part of your normal training, then I think one hill session per week is more than enough. In addition to ending some of your runs on that long hill, you may also want to work in an occasional hill repeat session...maybe one every third week or so. Just go to that big hill and run up it at a good pace, turn around and jog down easily, and repeat. If you have problems with your knees you may want to stay away from hill repeats, however. Victor

thumbs up!

Is your 8k the Crazy Legs run in Madison by any chance? That was my first run ever with a very famous wicked hill. Since I'm such a new runner, my goal was to finish and run the whole way regardless of my time. Well, a turtle with two broken legs could have passed me on that infamous hill. But, I still chugged on. Good luck with your training, and your run.
        2010 Goals
        1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
        2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
        3. sub 30 min 5k
        4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
          Is your 8k the Crazy Legs run in Madison by any chance? That was my first run ever with a very famous wicked hill. Since I'm such a new runner, my goal was to finish and run the whole way regardless of my time. Well, a turtle with two broken legs could have passed me on that infamous hill. But, I still chugged on. Good luck with your training, and your run.
          No, it's in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The first time I ran it I almost threw up at the end Dead but I did much better the next time. I think what I need to concentrate on is not to get too freaked out and nervous. All that energy needs to be stored and channeled into THE HILL! Thanks!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I had a similar 10k race last year. The race was uphill the last 3 miles is uphill with a big hill about 1/2 mile from the end. Training for it I ran a decent number of hills (lots near me). In the race, I tried to conserve some energy for the last sprint up the hill. Have a race plan, including paces for each mile with adjustments for the hills. If you have a heart monitor you can try to stay within 5-10 beats going up and down the hills. This will help you keep an even effort. Of course, if it is like going up a flight of stairs, it will be tough to keep the heart rate within 5-10 beats, but try to use an even effort and not burn yourself out. Here's the map of the 10k I ran with the hills. http://www.runningahead.com/maps/82f114b2532e44b984d2e881342fb5b8
            PRs 2 mile: 12:30 7/07 5k: 19:39 8/08 10k: 44:12 5/07 HalfM: 1:35:06 2/08 25k: 1:57:30 9/08 Mar: 3:19:07 10/08
              No, it's in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The first time I ran it I almost threw up at the end Dead but I did much better the next time. I think what I need to concentrate on is not to get too freaked out and nervous. All that energy needs to be stored and channeled into THE HILL! Thanks!
              I ran that race back in 2003, the good thing about the hill at the end, is while going up it you know, just make the apex and I'm done. I prefer that than having to run another couple of Km. As you say,Just remember to save some energy for that last kick. You really have to resist the urge from starting out too fast as you get thrown into the race by running down that same hill at the start, if I remeber correctly.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius