Bad Run Today... (Read 624 times)

Better I Leave

I certainly hope this is just a "one off" as my half is 8 days away. I felt fine all day, ate proper and even had a few days off from running due to family obligations. I had an hour after work so I thought I'd knock out an easy 6 miles of treadmill work at the gym before heading home....right...

OMG! Right from the get go I was having trouble maintaining an 8:34 pace for any length of time! I was like...WTF? Last run I did on this damn treadmill I ran an 8:34 like it was nuthin!!!

Anyone else have bad days for no apparent reason? I sure hope this was a fluke cuz my pace at 40 minutes was only 9:44 and I've been consistently as of late doing long runs in the 8s. 

Feeling the growl again

Bad days happen.  It's trends you need to worry about.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Yeah, don't sweat it, dude.  It happens.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

some call me Tim

"Anyone else have bad days for no apparent reason?"

Yes. Expect an avalanche of 'yes' es. And don't psych yourself out.

Loves the outdoors

"Anyone else have bad days for no apparent reason?"

Yes. Expect an avalanche of 'yes' es. And don't psych yourself out.

Yes

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

reddogrunning

Yes. They happen and a trend is the worry. 

JML

Look at it this way....you got the bad run out of the way before race day.   Clear sailing from here on out.....

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Prince of Fatness

even had a few days off from running

Could be this, not that it is anything to worry about.

Not at it at all. 

Every now and then it just happens.........I wouldn't sweat it much.....get it out of your system before the race.....

You'll be OK

Champions are made when no one is watching

delicate flower

Heh...if I don't have a bad run once in a while, I'd think I wasn't running enough.  Big grin  I had one Tuesday.  The nice thing about a bad run is that you'll usually feel like a champ on your next one. 

But, bad runs happen.  Shrug it off and move on.  On the flip side of that, unexpectedly fantastic runs will also happen. 

<3

Better I Leave

Whew...Very cool. Thanks for the replies folks. It's reassuring to know that it happens. I mean, I've had my days when I didn't really "feel" like running, but this was one of those runs where it was a real effort and it kinda freaked me out. 

I always find a treadmill workout is hard because there is no wind and the heat just gets me sweat a lot. Sometimes it is difficult (bad day) especially when I am tired after work.

Have a good run in 8 days.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

craig_c98

Embrace the suck

What I find annoying is when I feel great, but run like crap.  On the other hand, feeling like crap and running a PR really pulls you out of a slump.

I finally quit drinking for good - now I drink for evil

FWIW, I read somewhere that one common characteristic of the most successful elites is the ability to shake off a bad day and go into the next day's run without psyching themselves out.  That actually really helped me, and I've found lately that unless I over analyze them, bad days tend to not mean much.

SheCan

I find when I train really hard for a race, that I start struggling that last week of hard training before a taper.  It's like my body is reminding me that it needs to start healing up for the race.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson