Training for my second Tough Mudder. Need advice (Read 741 times)

dallasboycows

So, I'm training for the dallas tough mudder. I got 8th outta 9000 people at the last one but competition was weak. I ran about 15 minutes behind the first runner to cross the finish. It will be very strong in dallas. It's 10 miles but feels like about 15 or 20 because the obstacles and trekking through the mud drain the hell out of your legs. any weekly mileage suggestions/training programs/ideas? Last time I worked up to about 30 miles per week with 2 speed sessions a week usually 800's or 400's. It took me quite a while to work up to that because I hadn't ran once in ten years. Now I'm in much better shape. At this point I have 5 full months to train. I've dropped all speedwork for the time being as I'm tring to get my base mileage up quickly and that's hard to do injury free with speedwork. The plan this time is 2-3 months buildup in mileage to 50 or so mpw and then incorporate maybe 1-2 mile intervals, hill runs, leg weight training, stairs, etc. I don't think my vo2 max needs to be as high as I originally thought as my pace will never be high enough to reach it as the obstacles really really are a serious drainer on the legs. I never even breathed hard last time. My legs just couldn't go on. I'm open to any suggestions. Not worried about upper body as none of that was a problem.
    dallasboycows

think i may follow the advanced plan at http://www.runnersworld.com/rwdcaspdf/HalfMarathon.pdf except add some hills and legwork.