Question about the Twin Cities Marathon (Read 104 times)

th3fen

Hi all -- I'm hoping to run the Twin Cities marathon this fall and was wondering if anyone could give me advice about what the finish line area is like. Specifically, I'm wondering how fast I can plan to get out of the finish area because I have a work trip starting the next day and ideally would get on a plane the evening of the marathon.* Have any of you had any issues finding your families, getting to your cars, getting out of the parking area, etc? I'm fairly familiar with the Twin Cities and will have a driver and a place to shower & store food, but my biggest concern is the actual logistics of getting around St. Paul after the race. Thoughts/experiences to share?

*Yes, I know this is not a great idea; yes, I am willing to listen to reason if you think this is a bad enough idea to skip a bucket list race this year.

spinach

I have run it several times and it is fairly easy to get away from the finish area if you aren't going into an area that is blocked by the marathon.  It is easy to avoid those blockages since there are interstate highways going both west and south right at the finish area.  (The marathon is south and west of the finish area).  One concern for this year is the renovation of the state capital.  The finish is right at the state capital building and there is major work going on there for the next year or two.  I don't know how much of an impact this construction will have on the finish area.

SubDood

Depending on where you need to go, light rail transit might be an option. Last year, I was able to walk a few blocks from the finish area and catch the light rail back to Minneapolis (free ride for runners) -- very convenient. The bag pickup in the finish area is a well-oiled machine; someone spotted me walking into the area, called out my number to their crew, and by the time I got to the table, they were waiting for me with my bag in hand. So that should help a bit.

As spinach mentioned, renovations at the State Capitol could throw a wrench in the works. Your finish time might also affect how easily you can navigate after the race.

northernman

Fight The Future

I've run it three times. Getting out of the finish area and out to your car is simple. All three times, though, I had a terrible wait actually driving home (I live south of the cities.) i kept driving east, west, north, and would always end up getting stuck at the race course somehow. I vaguely recall there being simultaneous football games, which added to the mess. I do think it's possible, but should certainly plan the escape route much more carefully than I ever managed. Maybe head north and east and connect to a highway that heads back down around to the airport that way?

You won't have any problem.  The finish area is well organized and bag pick up has always gone well for me. As far as parking my husband has met me at the finish the 4 times I've run the Twin Cities 10 mile ( it's run the same time and on the last part of the marathon course).  He parks in a lot on University Ave which is only a block or so from the capital. Easy access to the interstate.

You will love the course.

th3fen

Thanks to everyone for your responses! Good point about the Capitol renovation, that hadn't occurred to me. I think as long as I plan to scope out the area with my husband (aka driver) the day before and figure out where to meet/park so we won't be trapped we should be just fine. I'll also plan to ask the organizers at packet pickup if there's anywhere in particular they recommend.

Worst case scenario, if I crash and burn during the race, I'll have about four hours between leaving the race and getting on a plane. It's definitely ambitious but I guess if I weren't crazy I wouldn't run marathons. Right?

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Not sure what time you'll be finishing in .. last year I was in around a 4:35.  I parked in the lot next to the Kelly Inn which is across from the finish.  .

Finish line medal / finishers shirt / bag pickup / free beer / out and gone ... no biggie.  A mid to later afternoon flight would let you enjoy the experience and still get to work on time.

Great expo / race course / great crowd support thru the entire course  ... big fun.  ~ mile 22 to mile 25 was a chore going up Summitt ave.

Have fun!

Tim