Efficient Running (Read 283 times)

pedaling fool

http://www.runblogger.com/2013/05/is-heel-striking-evil-more-evidence.html

Above is a link to a recent blog on the different types of heel strike.

Thanks, that's a good article and I like how it talks about all the various footstrikes, even among so-called forefoot strikers. And it kind of reinforces my question on the "study" in my OP. How can they say that heel striking for most of us is the most efficient? I do, however, understand the importance of noting that some people naturally heel strike (without overstirding). Although I do wonder why? Is this, as some say, a result of us using shoes? But then again if you think about it, that doesn't make sense, unless heel strikes are actually more efficient for us in general. For now I'm just going to have to look at more videos and think about it during my runs, it's really confusing. But at least I don't have to feel stupid, since there are so many studies out there and it seems they all got it wrong too.

Why is it sideways?

Good form is in the hips and spine, not the feet.
      wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

maybe we should just go out and run in whatever way feels right to us, as individuals, and not spend so much time worrying about how others think we should run. Seems there is plenty of evidence for both sides which leads me to believe this isn't a one size fits all issue. Personally, I think the shoe companies and the minimalist groups are in this for the money, not that there's anything worng with making a buck. I will now go back to being a voyeur on this site...
        bhearn

Jay Dicharry has an interesting chapter on running gait in his book "anatomy for runners". Here is a short excerpt:

Thanks for reminding me this was sitting on my counter waiting to be read. Just what I need after wrapping up the latest sci-fi novel yesterday.

bhearn

I'm maybe a third of the way through this book now. Hmm. Anyone else read it? What did you think?

I am torn -- on the one hand, this could be the most useful book to improve my running I've ever read. On the other hand, well, there are blatant mistakes that make me question the author's competence. No, sarcomeres are not muscle cells (in a book called "Anatomy for Runners"?!). A lot of the early physics discussion (and especially the graphs & figures) is borderline nonsense. But for the most part, everything else I've double-checked elsewhere seems plausible. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) the meat of the book: self-diagnostic tools and correctional exercises.

leonasmith1977

Addicted to Running

Good form is in the hips and spine, not the feet.

Good point! Smile