Philadelphia Marathon 11/23 - who's in? who's done it? (Read 154 times)

delicate flower

It'll be marathon #5 for me.  I am hoping to improve upon the suck that was my Vermont City marathon back in May.

Anything I need to know about for Philly?  Any pointers about the course?  Any other RA folks going to be there (besides my wife)?

<3

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

It'll be marathon #5 for me.  I am hoping to improve upon the suck that was my Vermont City marathon back in May.

Anything I need to know about for Philly?  Any pointers about the course?  Any other RA folks going to be there (besides my wife)?

I've done the Philly marathon a couple of times; the Philly half marathon 3 times. I really like this course -- that's where I got my marathon PR! I'm bummed that I can't do it this year due to work/travel commitments.

A few things to keep in mind: The start is very early and it can be very cold, so bring extra "throw-away" clothes. The lines at the porta-potties can be very long so don't wait too long before the start. The first half is the most demanding part of the course, and the most interesting, but it's not too bad. Beware that the start can be very crowded, which can help you not to run too fast. There are many more runners for the first half because the marathon and half marathon start at the same time. There are a few small hills over bridges and one tough uphill and equally tough, steep downhill in the first half, but the second half is a flat out and back. That's good and bad because it can get rather dull and there are no crowds to cheer you on for most of it. Also, as you go out, you see runners coming back and you get very jealous. However, if you are slow enough, you may also get to see the winning runners on their way back which is exciting.

The start and finish are in the same place which makes the bag check and transportation much easier.

We've generally stayed in a hotel within walking distance of the start/finish, but it may be late to book a hotel now. Check the web site for a list of participating restaurants and make a reservation for your pre-marathon dinner now. There are some good deals, and restaurants will be booked up soon.

All in all, I think it's a good course in a fun city; the crowds are great and it's an interesting, but not too demanding course. I'm comparing it to New York and Boston and Philly is much less tough IMHO.

delicate flower

Thanks for the info, jerseyrunner!  Sounds like the second half was tailor-made for me...I train alone and run out and backs fairly regularly.

I'm not sure what hotel we're in but DW booked us something very close to the start/finish area.  We're headed down from CT with a couple of friends and they've offered to drive.  SCORE.

<3

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm doing the half. I'm excited about it and hoping for a PR. I waited too long to get a hotel room so now I'm staying by the airport. Hopefully I will be able to get a cab to the start in the morning?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dreamn

Yes, very easily.  And on a Sunday morning, it should be about 20 minutes or so Smile.

I'm doing the half. I'm excited about it and hoping for a PR. I waited too long to get a hotel room so now I'm staying by the airport. Hopefully I will be able to get a cab to the start in the morning?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yes, very easily.  And on a Sunday morning, it should be about 20 minutes or so Smile.

Excellent.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jill_B

I fly.

I'm running the Rothman 8K the day before.

Bring it on.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Great marathon.  Really enjoyed it.  Not too crowded and a walk-up start.

About the only thing I didn't like was the hair-pin on the other side of the bridge.

Other than that, enjoy.  And go out for a cheese-steak afterwards.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

jfa

The second half along Kelley drive is a slight uphill on the out, turn around at Manayunk at mile 20, then a fast last 10k to bring it home.

Plenty of beer offered by college kids while going by Drexel.

seanster

ME

I did it in 2010(?) and I've done the half multiple times.  I was originally going to do Steamtown this year, but had to drop out due to illness... this was the most obvious backup for me.

Like mentioned above, the first half is more crowded, more turns, and "hillier."  Don't worry if your pace is a few seconds off the first half.   Once you pass the halfway mark and the half-marathoners split off, the course opens up and you can settle into a nice groove.  Really nothing more than a few rollers after that point.  Less spectators (besides Manayunk of course) on the second half, but never felt bored.  Every year I've been there, wind wasn't too much of a factor other than waiting around to start.  It can be cold, but a lot of people duck into the hotel lobbies down by the circle (tip: you can use the bathroom there too if you arrive early enough - a lot of people are using this trick now though).

I live in Delaware, so I'm not going for a hotel, but yeah they are probably sold out in Center City.  If you are out of town and need a hotel try stadium or airport areas.  You'll be able to get transport.

See everyone there... goal somewhere between 3:25-3:30

§ SIGNATURE§

delicate flower

Way-too-early weather forecast is looking great!  

It better hold up.  

<3

Dad, Runner, Programmer

It was my first marathon in 2009 and then I came back in 2010 for my PR which still stands. I really enjoyed it both times. I thought it was well run and the course itself was enjoyable and pretty fast. Well at least compared to Marine Corps and New York which are the only two others I've done.

Good luck everyone and have fun! By the way, I did have a bit of beer somewhere around 20 miles or so when I PRd in 2010 so I think that might be necessary to do well Smile

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Keep Going

I'll be there for marathon #3. Never done it before but have done several halfs in the city that have incorporated chunks of the full mary course. I'm expecting it to be super fun. I live in the northern burbs so it is an easy forty minute drive for me in the morning. I did the Harrisburg Marathon last Sunday so I do not anticipate running fast at all. I like small races so this will be a big change for me. It will be just a fun run for me to cap off a great year of running. And I absolutely plan on taking any free beer passed my way! 

100 milers are my favorite

delicate flower

How'd you all do?

I ran 3:23:27, good for a 15:15 PR.  My body is appropriately sore.

<3

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How'd you all do?

I ran 3:23:27, good for a 15:15 PR.  My body is appropriately sore.

Congrats! Great job!