Things I don't normally like to admit... (Read 2078 times)

In the interest of getting to know everyone, I've compiled a short list of the things I usually keep secret from casual running acquaintances... 1. I run in cotton socks. Cool 2. I always brush my teeth before running. I don't know why. I just have to. 3. My favorite cold-weather top is an old cotton fleece sweatshirt. 4. One pair of my running shorts started life as swim trunks. I like the pockets. 5. I secretly fear losing my progress if I skip more than a couple of days running. 6. I've never owned "body-glide." I use vaseline to prevent chafing. Old school, I guess. 7. I have one toe on each foot that tries to cut into its neighbor on long runs. I use tape to keep them separated. 8. When I see a runner on my route that I haven't met before, especially in early spring, I regard them as a newbie. In early winter, anyone I see running automatically scores "veteran." 9. Back when I raced, I was once passed by not one, but two runners pushing running strollers. Blush 10. When I see a runner "kick" hard at the end of a race, I quietly tell myself he didn't run hard enough in the first place. 11. I turn 40 this year and I now have Barry Manilow on my MP3 player. Right next to Mearle Haggard. I hope Mearle doesn't mind. Anyway, there they are. Anyone else?
    Do bears bear? Do bees be?
      I am a proud Merle Haggard fan.
      Len

Damn Yankee

11. I turn 40 this year and I now have Barry Manilow on my MP3 player. Right next to Mearle Haggard. I hope Mearle doesn't mind.
        I enjoyed your post, but Merle minds. The terrorists have won.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Big Chicken!

To the dismay of the so-called true runners (DH included), I really truly like my run/walk style. I have better form and go much faster. I have no plans to change what I do. I let my training partner push the jogging stroller. I don't tell DH or anyone else. I let everyone assume that I push my own kid. But she's much faster than me and the stroller just drains me. I am a full minute per mile slower when I push that thing. YUCK!
          Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
            I stink when I come in after a run. No, no....I mean really stink. Please telll me it's not Copa Cabana.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            JakeKnight

Hmmm. This is a bad idea. There's a reason not to admit things. I can think of a few, but I'd wake up tomorrow hung over and regretting spilling the beans. So let's focus on yours instead. Much safer. Most of them aren't particularly shocking. That first one will change: when you're running 15-20 miles, you'll lose the cotton socks. Somewhere I have some pictures of my feet after a 14-miler years and years ago, covered in blood and blisters. Yummy. I'd run in basketball shoes before I'd give up my running socks. No single piece of equipment made a bigger impact on my running than switching to the right socks. You'll see. I approve of the teeth brushing. You're disciplined and sweet-smelling. There is no reason to take two days off. Or one day off for that matter. Vaseline is fine. Although you'll switch to Body Glide about the time you buy the right socks. Your toes should be friends. Spring runners aren't newbies. January runners are newbies. I mock them, too. Barry Manilow rocks. But you should probably join the "cheesiest song ever" thread. You'd fit right in. And Merle probably minds. A lot.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

I have the soundtrack to High School Musical on my iPod.

Runners run

JakeKnight

Dude.

Scout7

If you run with said soundtrack, you're dead to me.
                    jeffdonahue

I'm with you Mike. I have a bunch of those songs on my ipod as well. I guess that's what happens when you have three kids and all you listen to on the radio is RadioDisney. I also have Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus, Ali and AJ, and Hilary Duff. And actually they are all pretty good running songs as they are pretty up-tempo to help me keep my pace going. And as for things to admit, I think I have met my quota with those right up there.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Spring runners aren't newbies. January runners are newbies. I mock them, too.
                        I started on the first day of Spring, '06. Winter running scared me. I never figured I would be a year-round runner. Seriously. Blush Hmmm...I'm trying to think of things I keep secret, but am coming up with nothing. I'm an open book. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If you run with said soundtrack, you're dead to me.
                          I don't run with my iPod. jeffdonahue, I also have some Hillary Duff and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some Hannah/Miley makes its way onto my iPod as well.

Runners run

Scout7

I don't run with my iPod.
                            I dunno if I can believe you anymore. You're not the same Mikey.
                            JakeKnight

Dude. Can't you just admit you killed somebody or something. I'd feel better.

Marathon Maniac #3309

10. When I see a runner "kick" hard at the end of a race, I quietly tell myself he didn't run hard enough in the first place.
                                That's what I have always thought too. At the finish of some of my 1/2 Ironmans, I see people doing sumersaults, jumping all around, dancing, and ect.... I always think too that they didn't race hard enough. Basically when I finish a race, when I cross the finish line it's about the last step I could possible take and almost collapse crossing the line...but everyone is different I guess. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!