Define 'Bandit' (Read 1314 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did anyone else notice how much that picture looks like the SNL version of him? I'll take Japan US relations for 600 Alex.
    Ha, I was going to post that if no one else had. Turd Ferguson...it's a funny name....

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

I'll take a stab it at... i'm in the middle of law school finals! We need to protect the interests of the race directors. This is a business and they've been granted the rights to put on an event. The city/whoeverelse has consented to letting them do this and they'ven been given the rights.
      The will of the city does not always coincide with the will of the individual or other communities. These individuals and communities also have a right to engage in civil disobedience and acts of protest. Banditing falls under this. It is not illegal, but protected by the bill of rights as a form of civic engagement.
      While running as a bandit may concievably cause no harm... you're not taking away anyone's spot, you are depriving the race directors of the fruits of their labour. They have paid money to close down streets, find volunteers, get permits etc and have a right to be compensated. While one person in themselves may not pose a problem, what if hundreds of runners decided to run as bandits. The race might not be profitable anymore and end up closing down so no one benefits. We call this the free-rider problem.
      This is a different case than the free-rider problem because in this case, the bandit does not agree with the manner in which the race has been conducted. From her perspective, this labor has borne no fruit and is valueless. It's not labor from her perspective at all. It's tomfoolery that messes up her morning.
      The same is true with news, intellectual property, etc. While you might not be physically stealing, you are depriving people of the fruits of their labour, and taking a personal benefit at the expenses of the majority.
      The rights of the majority are not the only rights to consider. The constitution protects the rights of minorities precisely because it is from the margins of culture that innovation occurs. The ipod you wear is a reaction to online piracy, an advancement spurred by activity that you would want to deem illegal.
      :]
      Evil grin
      xor

The will of the city does not always coincide with the will of the individual or other communities.
        Or the will of the one. I learned that from Spock.

C-R

The will of the city does not always coincide with the will of the individual or other communities. These individuals and communities also have a right to engage in civil disobedience and acts of protest. Banditing falls under this. It is not illegal, but protected by the bill of rights as a form of civic engagement. Evil grin
          Banditing a race is now considered freedom of speech? I missed that one on reading the Constitution. I think its time for you to get out and run to relieve some of that dissertation defense stress. Wink

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Why is it sideways?

Banditing a race is now considered freedom of speech? I missed that one on reading the Constitution. I think its time for you to get out and run to relieve some of that dissertation defense stress. Wink
            It could be a form of civic engagement. These are public streets. And banditing is not illegal, last time I checked. I've got the actual law on my side, not just the arguments of a law school student. It is one thing to express outrage at bandits. 'Tis another to argue that it ought to be illegal.
            C-R

Never said it was illegal just distasteful IMO. Just didn't catch it as protected speech under any case law or the Constitution.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Why is it sideways?

Never said it was illegal just distasteful IMO. Just didn't catch it as protected speech under any case law or the Constitution.
                Where did I say it was "protected speech under case law or the Constitution?" I didn't say this argument has been made, only that it could be made (I hope). If someone threw me in jail for banditing a race just because I was running down that road, I'd hope that some sort of legal argument could be made against that jailing. By the way, I didn't bring up the issue of legality. I was responding to an argument for making banditing illegal. You decide which argument is frivolous and which is not.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Is it still banditing if the race organizers offer bandit bibs?
                    poor Mamma.... started off thinking of posting an innocent question to decide to bandit or not and 5 pages later she is probably afraid to post again!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

C-R

Where did I say it was "protected speech under case law or the Constitution?" I didn't say this argument has been made, only that it could be made (I hope). If someone threw me in jail for banditing a race just because I was running down that road, I'd hope that some sort of legal argument could be made against that jailing. By the way, I didn't bring up the issue of legality. I was responding to an argument for making banditing illegal. You decide which argument is frivolous and which is not.
                      Just responding to your comment "Banditing falls under this. It is not illegal, but protected by the bill of rights as a form of civic engagement." which insinuates Bill of Rights protection for civic engagement which is under the right of petitioning or assembly. Sorry if I misconstrued. As for being illegal, we should have bigger fish to fry than clarifying through legal issues if someone runs a public road without paying an organizer. Somewhere common sense and good decorum should prevail without the trappings of legal arguments.

Why is it sideways?

I'm just playin'. Devil's advocate and all.

Why is it sideways?

Just responding to your comment "Banditing falls under this. It is not illegal, but protected by the bill of rights as a form of civic engagement." which insinuates Bill of Rights protection for civic engagement which is under the right of petitioning or assembly. Sorry if I misconstrued.
                          There is a rich tradition of civil disobedience in this country. It is indeed frivolous to associate banditing with this rich tradition. But no more frivolous than constructing an argument for its illegality. I thought sparky was playing, and I would join the fun. Obviously this whole thread is ludicrous, just like every other.
                          As for being illegal, we should have bigger fish to fry than clarifying through legal issues if someone runs a public road without paying an organizer. Somewhere common sense and good decorum should prevail without the trappings of legal arguments.
                          Here, I agree completely.
                          C-R

I'm just playin'. Devil's advocate and all.
                            A good ten miler will fix that or you. Wink

Why is it sideways?

A good ten miler will fix that or you. Wink
                              I ran 10.5 today. I see you put in a solid 5. Evil grin
                              C-R

I ran 10.5 today. I see you put in a solid 5. Evil grin
                                Now that's just cold. I have a marathon on Sunday you gitt. Wink