Define 'Bandit' (Read 1314 times)

Why is it sideways?

Now that's just cold. I have a marathon on Sunday you gitt. Wink
    Ah, good luck then. And trip a bandit while you're out there.
    xor

It isn't the length of the run, it's the girth. Or so I hear. Party on, Girth.

C-R

Ah, good luck then. And trip a bandit while you're out there.
        Thanks and it would just disrupt my flow. I can leave that windmill for others to tilt.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

To Jeff's stuff
          Smile I don't know if I've said that running as a bandit is illegal (although I realize its implied), I'm arguing that there's a demarcation of property rights that have been assigned and should be recognized. Now I'm a Canadian and we have a different Constitution, which isn't nearly as robust (or enforced as such) as the American Constitution... and I probably know as much about the American constitution as the average joe who's watched "Legally Blonde." In Canada, for something to be protected as "Freedom of Expression" it must further the values of: i) political participation, ii) truth seeking, iii) individual self-fulfillment. Taken from the Canadian experience, banning the bandits will be a limit on the form of expression - not the message. There are many other ways for bandits to get their message across, short of depriving another of "stealing". There is a need to balance the commercial interests of the race directors with freedom of speech. There are other meaningful alternatives available for the bandit to futher those 3 values of their expression. The philosophical motivations of the bandit are irrelevant. The bandit knows, or ought to know, that what she is doing amounts to "theft". That one doesn't believe there actions are wrong doesn't make it so. It doesn't matter if one doesn't think there's any societal value served by a race. I might believe that there's no societal value to gasoline and therefore I don't have to pay for it. Does this mean I don't have to pay? And yes the majority rights aren't the only one to consider. I agree! One of my favourite quotes from someone is that, "A properly functioning constitution should be counter-majoritarian." If a constitution is designed to protect the sometimes undesirable rights of people against the wishes of the majority. BUT there is a need to balance this with economic efficiency as well. The race community wouldn't function very well if everyone just ran as bandits. But I also know when to back off... I know a losing battle when I see one, and I don't think its wise to lock horns with a Graduate Philosophy student. Smile

Why is it sideways?

Naw, man, you know this stuff better than I do. I was just spouting hoo-hah. Good luck on your exams!
              Naw, man, you know this stuff better than I do. I was just spouting hoo-hah. Good luck on your exams!
              Ha. Thanks. But I do believe that there are some serious problems with the law and its reluctancy (In Canada at least) to recognize valuable social/philosophical considerations. This is an uber hijack --> Have you ever though about laws against vagrancy and homelessness? Why can't someone sleep in a park? Well, because people sleep at home - not in parks. Why can't you cook in a park? Well, its because people cook at home -not in parks? Why can't you.... you get the drift. We've constructed our laws around the interests of people who have a certain level of means to provide shelter for themselves, and shut down the public realm to anyone who can't afford places to live in. We turn homeless people into offenders - trespassers almost everywhere they go - and provide no real meaningful alternative for them. Just a thought. And Jeff, remember:

Why is it sideways?

Ha. Thanks. But I do believe that there are some serious problems with the law and its reluctancy (In Canada at least) to recognize valuable social/philosophical considerations. This is an uber hijack --> Have you ever though about laws against vagrancy and homelessness? Why can't someone sleep in a park? Well, because people sleep at home - not in parks. Why can't you cook in a park? Well, its because people cook at home -not in parks? Why can't you.... you get the drift. We've constructed our laws around the interests of people who have a certain level of means to provide shelter for themselves, and shut down the public realm to anyone who can't afford places to live in. We turn homeless people into offenders - trespassers almost everywhere they go - and provide no real meaningful alternative for them. Just a thought. And Jeff, remember:
                Yes, the legal structure of liberalism, the concept of rights, etc. are all problematic, for some of the reasons you suggest. There is definitely a place (probably not a running message board) for philosophical analysis of how these concepts structure our understanding of where political community is, what "public space" is, how democracy works, etc. These questions are made even more interesting by changing cultural conditions like globalization, etc. Seems to me that thinking about the organization of society in terms of laws and rights is effective in producing democratic conditions in certain places, at certain times, and in certain contexts. But not always. It is healthy--a sign that democracy is taken seriously?--to consider the limits of legal liberalism for producing democratic conditions and to suggest alternatives; I hope this is at least part of your law-school training.

#artbydmcbride

Banditing in this case seems to me less like civil disobedience and more like the Irish concept of boycott.

Runners run

Best Present Ever

poor Mamma.... started off thinking of posting an innocent question to decide to bandit or not and 5 pages later she is probably afraid to post again!
                    I'm not afraid to post -- I was hoping for the kind of discussion that Ben and Perry and Jeff have contributed to, since I don't think it's an absolute black and white question and was genuinely looking for opinions on where in the gray space in between banditing absolutely begins. Unfortunately, I started the conversation when I should have been writing a grant proposal, which I need to have to my associate dean today, limiting my ability to contribute to the conversation. (See what a good citizen I am? I am trying to get stimulus money to stimulate the economy!) But, FYI, my husband the big bad mean prosecutor is very clear that no laws are broken by banditing a race (though perhaps drinking the water/gatorade could be considered theft). It's a public road. The ethics are murkier of course.
                      Unfortunately, I started the conversation when I should have been writing a grant proposal, which I need to have to my associate dean today, limiting my ability to contribute to the conversation.
                      I dont know about you, but it really pisses me off when work gets in the way of Running Ahead.....Angry

Champions are made when no one is watching

Purdey

Self anointed title

I don't think it's an absolute black and white question
                        If you purposely run on a course being used for a race then it is black and white. If you run there anyway and were not aware that a race was going to be held... and the roads are open to the public then it is grey. In your case it sounds black and white - and premeditated.
                        But, FYI, my husband the big bad mean prosecutor is very clear that no laws are broken by banditing a race .
                        Maybe not.
                        (though perhaps drinking the water/gatorade could be considered theft).
                        This would be considered theft. No perhaps about it. Have you paid the entry fee to contribute towards drinks? No? It is theft.
                        It's a public road.
                        If it is a public road, which remains open to the public during the race, there is nothing to stop you walking, or running, along the course.
                        The ethics are murkier of course.
                        I think the ethics are black and white.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

This would be considered theft. No perhaps about it. Have you paid the entry fee to contribute towards drinks? No? It is theft.
                          It is theft...and maybe that is why the fee is so high for the run - because those not paying are drinking the provided bevs, etc.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Is it the Charlottesville Half/Full Marathon we are talking about? If so, some of that $85 goes to the local YMCA. The traffic may not be too bad on race morning before the race starts. That might be a good time to run that part of the course, and I wouldn't consider that banditting. I think if someone is running next to a registered runner or knowlingly runs on the course during the race, that is banditting. I missed everything in the middle of this topic, but good discussion. Anyone that does bandit for whatever reason should take the money they saved and give to Eric. At least you are still supporting the running community in some way, or consider volunteering at another race.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

Best Present Ever

If you purposely run on a course being used for a race then it is black and white. If you run there anyway and were not aware that a race was going to be held... and the roads are open to the public then it is grey. In your case it sounds black and white - and premeditated. Maybe not. This would be considered theft. No perhaps about it. Have you paid the entry fee to contribute towards drinks? No? It is theft. If it is a public road, which remains open to the public during the race, there is nothing to stop you walking, or running, along the course. I think the ethics are black and white.
                              See reasonable people can disagree. What if I'm offered water, say 'no thanks, I'm not part of the race" and am told "that's ok, take it anyway?" That's happened to me. What if I regularly run a course on Saturdays, and everyone once in a while find myself running along with a small 5K part of the way? That happens to me several time a year, as student groups have 5Ks most weekends during the fall. Sometimes I remember and avoid the course, sometimes I forget and find myself in the time/place of the race, sometimes I didn't realize there would be a race and it's a true accident. Am I a bandit in all of those cases? If I run and cheer for the runners at the same time, have I become a spectator or am I a bandit? I think there's a good argument to be made that my original question re: deliberately running much of the course at the time of the race is clearly in on the side of being a bandit because of knowledge and intent. I don't think that every instance of being on a race course during a race is banditry, though. For what it's worth, I'm probably going to do what one of my running partners did last year -- deliberately run part of the course (a part that we regularly run both alone and with others, by the way), both backwards and forwards in a way that will allow us to see the front runners, then stop at the end of our run and spend a good chunk of time cheering (which will put us at a very lonely stretch of road where there will be no other spectators). It's probably banditing for at least part of the run, but we've decided to call ourselves demi-semi-bandits. Wink I don't think the ethics of this are clear cut -- I'm not profiting from a thing the race has done by running this particular stretch of road and not interfering in anyway with the race itself, but I am intentionally running on a race course during a race. I'm a pretty reasonable person, and definitely a person who thinks a lot about how I contribute to things I take part in. (And in fact, I think a lot about how laws punish folks for simply being poor, sparky. That's dinnertime/late-night-going-to-sleep conversation in my house. Without being absolutely homeless, not having a stable address to receive mail can wreak havoc in the life of someone living at margins. Not having a job that let's you take a morning off of work to take care of something in court, not having the money to pay a parking fine, all kinds of small things will snowball and land folks in jail. I have a whole lecture on this!) I don't think being a bandit is civil disobedience though. Which is too bad ... I find the absolute black-and-whiteness of much of this discussion pretty amusing, and wonder if all y'all carry this sense of moral rightness over to everything you do in your lives?
                                Holy mackerel.