Flu shot heresy (Read 2156 times)

A Saucy Wench

So Trent...on the recommended 2 doses for kids.  What is the general feeling on 1 dose.  Is it what I remember from the first baby flu shot which is "they can still get sick but it should be less severe?"  Both my kids have 1 dose.  When they will be able to get a second is a total mystery.  There has been talk around here about refusing to give second doses until a significant % of the pop has their 1st, etc. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One dose is the new two doses.  Recommendations are changing.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Crap. Really? CDC link? My boys will be due for round two next week. But It may be a pointless if they are not available anyway.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is from WHO right now.  CDC has not followed suit.  Yet.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Really?  Dane got the flu mist on Thurs. from his ped. and they scheduled him to come in for the second dose next month.  I wonder if they will cancel it.  Seems the recommendation has gone 2-1-2-1...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It is from WHO right now.  CDC has not followed suit.  Yet.

Gotcha.  So maybe they will cancel.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am not aware of any recommendations ever that have you take two doses of the mist.  I may be wrong, but I thought the two dose recommendation was only for injections.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am not aware of any recommendations ever that have you take two doses of the mist.  I may be wrong, but I thought the two dose recommendation was only for injections.

No wonder everyone is confused as hell.  There seems to be a lot of varying and constantly changing info. out there, even amongst medical professionals.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Looking at the CDC website right now, it says "two doses" of vaccine for under 10, but does not clarify whether that is shot, mist or both.  It has not been changed to recommend WHO single dose guidelines.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Looking at the CDC website right now, it says "two doses" of vaccine for under 10, but does not clarify whether that is shot, mist or both.  It has not been changed to recommend WHO single dose guidelines.

The health care worker told me it was 2 doses regardless. The fact sheet for both says:

Children through 9 years of age should get two doses of vaccine, about a month apart. Older children and adults need only one dose.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

A Saucy Wench

The health care worker told me it was 2 doses regardless. The fact sheet for both says:

Children through 9 years of age should get two doses of vaccine, about a month apart. Older children and adults need only one dose.

This is also what I got told.  We have one mist and one shot and both were told specifically that they needed a second. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mta: oops didn't realize you couldn't see anything..

ymmv

a good read, somewhat related. i don't think it was linked here yet.

click

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Joy.  Kid had flu mist 10 days ago, but has been coughing, sneezing, and generally under the weather for about the past 24 hours.  I hope it's just a cold.  H1N1 injections are FINALLY in our area, so I will hopefully be able to get the shot tomorrow, but I'm thinking it may be too late if DS has already brought that crap into the house.

On the bright side, my last race for the year was yesterday, so at least now I won't have to sit-out any races if I get sick. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

A senior girl in several of my son's classes got H1N1 this week, but so far he's fine. The vaccine should have taken effect by now.  I'm kind of surprised she got it, since they got the shots two and a half weeks ago.