What trail shoes for a Kinvara/Cortana wearer? (Read 79 times)

Mmmmm...beer

I have a 50k trail race on tap for next month, and after today's 14 miler on the trails where the race will be held, it became apparent that my half worn out Kinvaras aren't going to cut it.  I had some traction and rock/root protection issues, and it was dry out, throw in some moisture and it probably would have been ugly.  I'm a big Saucony fan, running in Kinvaras and Cortanas exclusively, racing in Fastwitchs and A5s.  After reading tons of reviews, it sounds like the Kinvara TRs are nothing like the road Kinvaras, and the Peregrines might be a better fit for me, but they're heavier.

I'm open to other brands as well, the NB MT110 looks promising.  Just wanted to see what other trail runners are using, hopefully someone who also runs in Kinvaras on the road.  Thanks!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Resident Sk8r boi

I answered at the other place as well, but I'll add here just in case. I thought the peregrine matched well with the kinvara as a trail shoe. The mt110 is a better shoe overall in my opinion (lighter, with equivalent traction, will drain water better).

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks lomad.  I'm going crosseyed from reading all of the reviews. lol  But the MT110s sound like a good fit, lighter, more flexible, but still providing good traction and protection.  I think I'll give 'em a go and see how they work.

-Dave

My running blog

LB2

I have run a 100K and the last 80 miles of a 100 miler in Kinvaras with no problems. Well, I had some problems, but it wasn't from the shoes. The Peregrine II worked well for me in another 100 miler. I didn't finish that one, but my feet were in great shape when I dropped for other reasons. And that trail was pretty rocky, rooty, gnarly. The Peregrine looks like it is a little narrow, but it didn't feel like it to me. I would say it is a pretty solid shoe. I have heard the same thing you have about the Kinvara TR.

I think the Peregrine is a great shoe, but it would be a good idea to try it on if you can. If you are like me and have no LRS that carries it, you may want to use runningwarehouse's shoe fit guide. That thing has never let me down.

Also, I run a lot in NB MT110's. Frankly, I think it is the best shoe I have ever worn. I think the 110 is the perfect 50K shoe, for me. However, I would run a 50 miler in them, too. I think you should definitely give them a look. In fact, I recommend the 110's over the Peregrine, especially for the 50K.

LB2

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks LB2!  The MT110s should be here on Wed, I'll let you guys know how they work out.

I wish I lived closer to these trails, I'd never run on the road again.  Yesterday was the most fun I've ever had on a run. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Kalsarikännit

I run in Cortanas and am pretty much smitten with all things Saucony. Except their trail shoes. They are just awful. After many years of going through an endless supply of disappointing shoes, I finally discovered LaSportiva C-Lite 2.0's. They have the C-Lite's (formerly Crosslite) which would be more for the kinvara wearer, and the 2.0's which remind me a bit more of the Cortanas (just a touch more stability).  Both are light and responsive with great lugs that uses the same material (friXion) that they use on their climbing shoes. You can scale walls with these things. They also drain well, but the upper is thick enough for winter running. Their one downside is a scree-guard that prevents you from attaching a gaiter. I have used a bunch of shoes from LaSportiva over the years, and they are all top notch.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks WG, those do look good.  Are the gaiters worth it?  I saw some folks wearing them at the 50k last year when I was volunteering.

-Dave

My running blog

Kalsarikännit

Thanks WG, those do look good.  Are the gaiters worth it?  I saw some folks wearing them at the 50k last year when I was volunteering.

Dirty Girl gaiters are 1000% worth it. Stuff gets in shoes (some trails are worse than others for this).  It isn't worth wasting time to pick stuff out, and a small object in the shoe can create a big problem after rubbing against your foot for a really long time.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

jmctav23

2/3rds training

My only advice would be go to a running store that has a wide variety of trail shoes and start trying them on.  The more I run trails, the more particular I'm getting about which shoes and attributes I want on my feet.  I tried the Peregrins but they were too tall and narrow for me; I've never experienced a shoe that rolls ankles so quickly before or since.  I'll probably rock the kinvara TR for short trail (under marathon distance, maybe a 50k) races next summer.  Nike tigra (i think) was a surprisingly nice fit and light, I just wanted something with a more aggressive outsole.  With trail shoes I've stopped shooting for an exact drop or specification and go for shoes that fit my feet and the trails I run well.

Mmmmm...beer

Good advice jmctav23, that's what I ended up doing.  The MT110s showed up and didn't fit well at all, so they'll be going back to RW.  I went to my LRS and ended up buying a pair of Kinvara TR2s, they fit great, pretty much just like my road Kinvaras.  Gonna take 'em on a test run tomorrow and if they feel good, I'll long run with them on Sunday.

-Dave

My running blog

RunsOnDirt

I've gone through several pairs of 1010 v1's and loved them except the fabric always blows out.  i don't like the 1010 v2s much b/c the toebox seems bigger and sloppier, the tread is different, the fabric doesn't breathe as well, and the shoe is heavier. That said, I have also run through four pairs of Peregrine 2's, using them for longer, rougher trail runs. i also recently bought the Kinvara TR2's and absolutely love those shoes... The best trail shoe for me so far I think although I haven't put many miles on them.  They're light, breathable, just enough cushioning and rock plate protection, flexible, and very grippy on wet leaves, mud, and sand... even the little bit of snow we recently got. I'm not sure i'd use them in a 50K since I might want a little more underfoot for that distance, but then I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs. BTW, I run roads in Kinvaras and find the fit is similar to the TR2s, although the former are more cushioned. Both have a 4 mm drop.

PRs in my 5th decade: 5K - 19:56 10K - 43:45 10 M - 1:14:12 Half Mary - 1:39:27 Full Mary - 3:34:12 (BQ)