New runner (Read 456 times)

Bob B.

The last time I was in good shape, I was a sophomore in HS. That was 19 years ago. Nearly a month ago, kind of out of the blue, I decided to start running again. (actually I've had a couple short lived attempts during the past couple of years). Anyway, the first day, I just ran until I was winded. I would guess I ran 2 or 300 yards. The next day, I just ran a little further. I've been doing that nearly every day (I think I've missed three days). Now, I'm up to about 2.5K. I'm hoping to run a 5K on Jul. 19. If I keep up the pace, I'll be up to 5K three days before the race. So that's my training regimen...just run a bit more each day. As close as I can figure, I'm adding 120 meters each day. I'm not training to compete in the 5K, just finish it, hopefully faster than a half hour. What do you all think of my plan?
      As others will come on here and say, it would help if you posted your log so we can see what you're doing (how fast) day to day. But based on what you've written, "just finishing" a 5k by July 19th should be no problem. Doing it under 30 minutes? That depends on how fast you're running during training. Good luck!

Bob, At present, I think what you're doing is just fine. You're not increasing your mileage drastically (leaving yourself open to injury), or doing anything else radical... at least nothing that you're admitting to Wink I agree with Tanya - the public log helps, and based on the info, not sure at this point about the 30 minute goal. Stay with it, keep the feet moving, and stay motivated through the 5K. Then, you can re-evaluate. Congratulations and welcome!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Bob B.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am not keeping track of my time, intentionally. At this point, I'm really just hoping I can finish the race. I threw in the half hour comment just as an afterthought, as sort of a secondary goal. If I finished and ran the race in 45 minutes, I'd be happy. There's another local 5K on Aug. 9. That one I can work on improving my time. Big grin
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There's another local 5K on Aug. 9. That one I can work on improving my time. Big grin
            That's exactly the thing to do. The first race is for absorbing it all...enjoying the experience, figuring out what works, what doesn't work, and learning what to do to improve your time at subsequent races. Smile Pay attention to your body and keep consistently adding mileage very gradually. Don't worry about pace yet, get those easy miles in so carefully that your body doesn't know you're increasing the mileage. If something hurts, take it as a signal to back-off for a bit. And if you only run 3-4 times a week for a month or two, that's good. It's easy to overdo it at the start, then end up back at square 1. For a lot of us who have BTDT, square 1 often means not running again for years. Ask me how many times I started and stopped before I finally figured it out at 33.... Blush BTW, take a look at the Couch-to-5k program. That's another great way to get started. That's how I and a lot of other folks around here got the motivation to get started...and keep going. It's a nice way to ease your body into consistent running. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bob B.

I clocked myself this morning, and came up with a 10.29 minute mile. That's on pace for a sub 32 minute 5k. Hopefully I can pick up the pace just a bit, and come up under 30 min when I run the race. Thanks for motivating me to check my time.