Hi I'm new and I have asthma (Read 761 times)

Hi everyone! I'm new around these parts. I just started running. I was curious if there are any other asthmatics that can give me running tips. My asthma is well controlled. I take my medicine before I run and I'm on singular and advair so I'm not really looking for asthma tips. I'm just curious if your asthma ever gets in the way of your goals and how you overcome them. Big grin
    No matter how slow you run, it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch.

SMART Approach

I also have asthma and treat the same way as you. I am fine as long as I stay away from a farm. No problems for me. You seem to have asthma in control. Progress slowly, building miles at comfortable pace. Take your time and build. You will be fine.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep! I'm generally in good shape, though high humidity in the Summer can really take its toll. Running by yards as the homeowners are mowing is not so good, either. But running has really helped make my lungs strong and more efficient. Treating the asthma proactively really helps.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I had exercised-induced asthma in high school and college, and I found that taking a puff on my inhaler before I exercised always did the trick. Not sure how, but I outgrew it. Maybe developing a beer gut strengthened my resistance. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Haile Gebrselassie, current world record holder in the marathon, has asthma.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Yep, Asthmatic here. Most of the time all is well. Singulair and a pre-run inhaler help. I notice issues breathing when there is a ton of pollen in the air (like spring), or a sinus infetion is lingering. On these days I run slower, and try to breath through my nose as much as possible. Come to think of it, the more Antihistamine/allergy meds I take the more water I need to consume to avoid cramping. Good luck-

left-right-left-right-repeat

I have exercise-induced asthma. I usually do OK during my easy runs, but find I need to use my albuterol inhaler before races/hard workouts, when my allergies get bad, or if it's too hot & humid out. If I don't, my lungs will feel like they're on fire, I'll struggle to keep my breathing under control, and I'll usually cough up a lung afterwards.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have exercise-induced asthma. I usually do OK during my easy runs, but find I need to use my albuterol inhaler before races/hard workouts, when my allergies get bad, or if it's too hot & humid out. If I don't, my lungs will feel like they're on fire, I'll struggle to keep my breathing under control, and I'll usually cough up a lung afterwards.
                  I could have written this. After races and speedwork I will often spend hours coughing and hacking. Yick.

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

If it wasn't for my hacking in my 5K yesterday I would have passed at finish line the female who I usually beat. She heard me coughing all race and on my final kick and had a bit extra to hold me off. It certainly didn't hurt her to have the crowd yelling, "come on, he's coming, he's getting closer"! Hey, if they only knew I had asthma. Sad

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If it wasn't for my hacking in my 5K yesterday I would have passed at finish line the female who I usually beat. She heard me coughing all race and on my final kick and had a bit extra to hold me off. It certainly didn't hurt her to have the crowd yelling, "come on, he's coming, he's getting closer"! Hey, if they only knew I had asthma. Sad
                      There have been so many times when I KNEW that the thing holding me back is my lungs. Drives me nuts when I can train more and smarter than others and they still kick my butt in races. Even with an awesome set of lungs I'd never be elite material, but if I had even average lung function I think I could probably knock a minute or two off of my pace with all other things being equal.

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Zoomie, Just be the best you can be! You do great. BTW, I enjoy your input and the fun and positivity you bring to this site.

I have asthma as well!! My asthma is triggered off when I exercise. I become short of breath & wheeze considerably. However, I have tried singulair and increasing my steroid inhaler dose (with the Doctors recommendation), but these have made very little difference. I currently use Flixotide as a preventer and Salbutamol as a reliever (which I almost never use unless I exercise). I would recommend to ensure that you remain on your preventer medication (as your doctor has prescribed) as this will prevent very bad attacks from happening. I too use salbutamol as a 'preventative' measure for my asthma just before I start running to open up my airways and prevent any allergens from triggering my airway spasm (things like cold, pollen & pollution seem to make it worse for me). Although salbutamol works quite quickly, the full benefit is obtained within about 15 minutes, and deteriorates thereafter. When I run I also take my inhaler with me, just in case it stops working. This is especially important with longer runs. Also, try to avoid the trigger allergens. I avoid running in extremely cold conditions, and will run inside on a treadmill instead. Additionally, try and control your breathing and keep it regular, although as a beginner I am finding it rather hard to do. My final comment would be, if you are a smoker --- stop smoking. Smoking will only make your asthma (and health!) worse.
                          pitrunner

Astma here too. I have exercise and allergy induced asthma that has really gotten a lot better as I've gotten older. I always take a puff of albuterol before I run, but I really don't know if I need it anymore; it's kinda like a security blanket at this point. One thing I've noticed is that cold weather running is a lot worse for me than the average person. I feel the need to cover up my mouth with a neck warmer at much higher temperatures than most people, usually anything below 40. If I don't, I'll be hacking for days!