Most recent run not appearing when import from Garmin FR (Read 528 times)

I just got back from a run today and logged it on my Garmin Forerunner 610, but when I tried to upload it to RA it didn't appear.  I tried both the "only upload new workouts" and the "upload all workouts" features but neither had the run.

After uploading to Garmin Connect, RA noticed the file on my watch and uploaded it.  I'd prefer not to have to go through GC before uploading to RA, which is now my primary log!

Thanks for the support.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Hi Snowsickle

If you know all of what I am about to write, apologies! You'll need somebody more techy to answer but in case this is of any value:

I believe the 610, like the 405 that I have, connects to your PC (and then on to RA or GC) by the Garmin ANT Agent software.

RA does not get the file "from your watch" but uses the Garmin plugin in your browser to access the data from ANT Agent to upload your runs to the RA server.

I expect the issue you saw below was likely caused by the time it took for ANT Agent to transfer the data from your watch. When you logged on to RA it wasn't done... but by the time you logged into GC it was... so it looked like uploading to GC solved the problem.

This would be my recommendation for your next run.

When you come back from the run and put your 610 by the PC, open up the ANT Agent program from the system tray (assuming you are using windows) wait and check that the transfer happens and is successful. See picture below. Then try uploading to RA.

ANT Agent

If this does not work or if this is not the problem you are having please post again and tell us which OS, which Browser & which versions of the Garmin Software you are running. You should not have to go near GC to use your Garmin with RA. I never have.

Cheers

2013 Goals
      1) Break 1:50 in a HM (PR 1:52:19)
      2) Break 4:00 in a Marathon (PR 4:20:39)

Hi Matt - thanks for the help and informative response.  I'm using a Mac so the method is a bit different, but you were spot on in that the problem wasn't technical but more that I was misunderstanding exactly what's going on when I plug in the USB stick for my watch.  GC has a feature on the website where you can upload from the watch without opening the ANT Agent, so I assumed RA would be the same.  I didn't realize that the ANT Agent prepared the data from the watch to be uploaded to whatever website - I thought it was strictly for upload to GC and the Garmin Communicator Plugin RA uses would take its place.

When I open up the ANT Agent my watch automatically syncs and uploads to GC - I guess it's not a bad thing to have the data in two places though.  Thanks for the help!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Glad it helped! Smile

For completeness, either for you or anyone else who stumbles across this thread, you can disable that "auto transfer" of data to GC in the device settings for your forerunner in ANT Agent. Just uncheck the auto transfer to GC check box (assuming it's similar on PC & MAC?)

2013 Goals
          1) Break 1:50 in a HM (PR 1:52:19)
          2) Break 4:00 in a Marathon (PR 4:20:39)

Great, just did that.  To do it on the Mac version you go into the Preferences dialog after clicking on the ANT Agent symbol in the top bar, but the option's the same.

Thanks Matt!  You're awesome.