My 1st 20 Miler and the things I learned (Read 750 times)

1) DO NOT run above your capabilities. I ran the 1st 10 miles trying to keep up with the fast group in my running group. It almost crushed my chances at finishing 11 miles, much less 20. 2) DO NOT be afraid to slow down. I slowed down at mile 10 and began to feel a little bit better, enough to go on. 3) This may be wrong...but when other runners quit, it inspires me to go on. At about mile 15.5 I met two runners in the fast group coming back up 5 mile loop - cutting the run short. One was walking, and was done for the day. I said something cordial to both of them and joked about how hot it was...What i was thinking was..."Oh there is no way I am quitting now". 4) HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE - I could not drink enough fluid. OMG, I felt like I needed an IV of water and Powerade. I have never sweated sooo much in my life. 5) You really learn to look foward to the little things. Miles 16,17, and 18 were in full sunlight and all I could think about was the water cooler at mile 18 and the shade that the rest of the run was in. Once I got there I knew I was going to finish...I think I might have picked it up a bit, my attitude totally changed...It was like getting a present. It was torture, but fun and satisfying. And suprisingly, after a shower,nap, and some lunch...I feel OK. Not Good, but ok considering I just ran a little over 20 miles.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Along for the Ride

Nice job Ben! Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Wobblebottom

Wow, good on you for completing it! I will think of you whilst I am suffering doing 8 miles tomorrow!
          Thanks....good luck
          2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
            The first time at any distance that ends in a 0 or a 5 is a big deal. Well done, keep up the good work.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

kcam

Feels good knowing you got that 20miler under your belt, eh? Way to go.
              redleaf

Kudos on your run!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Congratulations on a great run and lessons learned!

Chris
                  PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

A Saucy Wench

The first time at any distance that ends in a 0 or a 5 is a big deal.
                    Or a 6.2 Wink

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Giants Fan

Congrats! That first 20 is the best! (although I don't think the feeling when you finish something that long ever gets old). Way to Go!!!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Dave

Awesome job, Ben. Try weighing yourself before and after those long runs. I dropped 5 lbs today despite drinking 56 oz of fluid during my run (4x8 oz fuel belt plus a 24 oz gatorade) and probably another 10 ounces of water afterwards before I weighed.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I know I weighed 179 before the run and 174 after. During the run I drank 40 oz of powerade and at least the same in water. And yes it feels great to know I did it. I didn't know it, but 2 different people saw me and asked why I was running out in the middle of nowhere...and when they asked how far I ran, I said "20 miles" like it was nothing Wink Today my wife asked if I could have finished 26.2. At first I said no, but when I thought about it, I told there is no telling how I would of felt if it weren't for those first 10 miles...so maybe Big grin