Leg unrest during sleep? (Read 890 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I get something like this, usually if I fall asleep in the late evening on the couch watching a movie.  I get this odd sensation, almost like my legs are about to tense up and need to release a lot of energy.  If I get up and go to bed, I don't get it, luckily.  It's REALLY uncomfortable though.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Yep, that's it!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I know the RLS does not describe exactly how my legs feel, but that's the closest thing I know of.  They only feel that way when I'm overly exhausted (not from over training because I haven't really trained in years).  When I lay down in bed and go to sleep (not sit in bed and watch TV), the sensation stops immediately.

Prince of Fatness

I would be a little worried about restless sleep as a sign of overtraining. This is one of the first signs that I am pushing too hard.

This is my experience as well, especially when it happens several nights in a row.

Not at it at all. 

I deal with this too...it was really bad two years ago when I was training for my first marathon--occasionally overtraining for sure!  I have found relief, however, since then by taking magnesium supplements on a regular basis.  The magnesium helps muscles relax (from what I've read!).  It's made a big difference for me and I've been able to increase mileage without the leg creeps!

Hoodoo Guru

I used to have this overwhelming desire to get out of bed in the middle of the night and walk or run or ride my bike or anything to get my legs moving and me out of the house.

Of course, I think it had less to do with RLS and more to do with the misdiagnosed bi-polar bitch I was living with at the time

Ha!

The tangents are moot.

I get this odd sensation, almost like my legs are about to tense up and need to release a lot of energy. 

Are you sure it's your legs?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

As other have said anaemia can be associated with restless legs. It's worth getting a blood test to check - ask for a serum ferritin test as well as the usual blood count - sometimes iron levels can be low even tho' red blood cells are normal.  There's no point in starting with iron supplements unless you know you have problem. Most people on a western diet should have plenty of iron in their normal food.

It could be that you're just doing a little more than your legs will tolerate, you could try easing up on the volume of running, or just the reducing average pace for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference. 

Try getting some other lowish intensity work for your leg muscles to aid recovery, e.g.  gentle cycling or walking.

Also - are you getting enough sleep? Try going to bed earlier than usual for a bit and see if you can sleep a bit more - try taking a nap during the day if your routine will allow it. If you habitually wake to the sound of an alarm clock then you are almost certainly not getting enough sleep. The alarm should be a last resort for the rare occasions when you oversleep - normally you should wake naturally when your body is ready. Similarly do you have good light-blocking blinds/curtains in your bedroom? Some people are very sensitive to light levels and wake once it starts to get light even if they need more sleep.

Alcohol and caffeine have both been linked to restless legs - so you could try cutting back/cutting out those (they also tend to interfere with sleep).

Oh - and don't take medical advice from random people on web forums Smile