RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Went and saw Kingsmen: The Secret Service last night.  Summary courtesy of IMDB: A spy organization recruits an unrefined, but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program, just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius.

I wasn't sure what to expect when going to see this.  From the previews it appeared to be sort of a "Sorcerer's Apprentice meets Spy Kids" type of movie.  I really had no clue.  Anyways: it's damn tough to pigeon hole this movie.  It is part Sorcerer's Apprentice, part Spy Kids, part James Bond, part Austin Powers, part class warfare, part Tarantino.  Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.  It kind of left me shaking my head as the credits rolled.  There were parts that I really like but other parts just left me saying "did I really just see/hear them do that?"

Anyways, I'm rating it 6/10 Socks.

There be spoilers here: 

From my understanding it is supposed to be a series of movies.  I find this hard to believe when they killed off the top 3 billed actors but....

You people have issues 

RunJasonRun

Girly (1970)

An eccentric and dysfunctional London family, consisting of "Mumsy", "Nanny", "Sonny" and "Girly", kidnaps homeless people or random unfortunate passerbys, and forces them to participate as playmates in childish role-playing games.  Those who refuse to participate or those who outlive their usefulness are murdered in vicious ways by the odd family.  When one unfortunate man is lured into the fold by Girly, though, he finds a way to play the family against each other, and glorious chaos ensues.

The term, "black comedy", is usually the mother of all red flags for me when I'm trying to decide on a movie, but Girly is one of the few films that is truly deserving of the description, and it's one of those insanely skewed British flicks that could have only been thought up at the tail end of the psychedelic 1960s era.  If you can imagine what would have happened if The Texas Chainsaw Massacre had been filmed by the cast of the old Monty Python skits, then the result would probably be close to what you see in this movie.  More than anything, though, Girly plays out like an odd real-life fairy tale that goes to over-the-top extremes.  The movie is not violent or gory by today's standards, and most everything is implied offscreen, but the delivery is wonderfully twisted.  I laughed out loud quite a few times, even if I felt unclean for doing so after the fact.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Parallels (2014) - Sliders meets The Lost Room.  Big empty building in the center of town "slides" to alternate earths.  The three main characters are a MMA fighter, Princeton bound 23yo, and the lawyer who has a crush on her.  Actually, they aren't that interesting.  The interesting character is Polly, whom they meet in the building.  She is the most delightful driver of the narrative.  The building is old-hat to her.  She briefs them about how it works, and what decision-branching universes are about, etc.  She's basically there for the SF fan who has seen this setup a bunch of times and would be bored by neophytes stumbling through the rules of the game.  Even better, she toys with her advanced-knowledge power a bit, which is delightful.  Not to mention, she's the only good actor in the bunch -- wonderful comic timing.   I believe this "movie" is actually a pilot for a show that hasn't  been picked up yet.  For a series the first episode is a bit rushed in plot.  Too bad.  Still, if you liked the premise of Sliders, you'll like this.  (4/5)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

RunJasonRun

Furious 7 

I have always enjoyed the movies in the Fast and Furious series from a lighthearted "I want to have the kind of fun that these characters are having." standpoint. When the first film, The Fast and the Furious, was released in 2001, I liked it because I was reminded of all of those great loose-and-free 1970s car chase flicks, like Two-Lane Blacktop, Vanishing Point, or Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. These Fast and Furious movies are quite silly and over-the-top in so many ways, but it's easy to become attached to the "family" of characters, and I love how the familiar faces, played by Paul Walker, Vin Diesel, Jordana Brewster, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Ludacris, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Sung Kang, Gal Gadot, and Lucas Black, all get a chance to shine in the films. The funny thing is that I'm not a car person in the slightest, and I really could not care less about what is under the hood of a vehicle, but I get drawn into these stories just the same. It's probably for the same reason that I love sports movies, although I'm bored by actual football, basketball, or baseball games on television.

Furious 7, the latest in the series, is yet another popcorn movie that cruises along on the strengths of its predecessors, mainly cool car chases, big explosions, a lot of gorgeous girls, and an endearingly casual hip-hop vibe. This one goes way over-the-top, even by the standards of the series, to the point where the story has more in common with one of the 1980s G.I. Joe cartoons than it does with the events in the earlier Fast and Furious movies, but that's all in the fun. The team of familiar faces is as engaging as usual, and I enjoyed the quieter character development moments and the comedic exchanges as much as I enjoyed watching the action sequences. That said, the film does not disappoint from an action standpoint, because an early mountain road chase sequence rivals the bank safe chase from the fifth movie or the tank sequence from the sixth movie. The presence of the great Kurt Russell adds some old-school toughness to the equation, while the additions of Jason Statham and Tony Jaa (Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior) put some additional sparks into the fight scenes.

This particular popcorn movie is given an unexpected poignance, since Paul Walker, who has always played FBI Agent Brian O'Conner, tragically died in a vehicle accident in late 2013 when the filming was only halfway completed. Walker's death necessitated some on-the-fly script changes, and his two brothers were even enlisted as stand-ins to finish filming some of his scenes. To the movie's credit, I could not personally tell the difference between the scenes with Walker himself and the scenes with his stand-ins. More importantly, though, I was hugely impressed with how the movie handles a dignified closure for Walker's character. The events of this film indicate that more sequels in the series are coming, but the story arc of Agent Brian O'Conner is completed here with a wonderful grace that gave me a smile as I watched the final moments.

Highly recommended!

RunJasonRun

Avengers: Age of Ultron

One of my favorite things about working 10-hour days Monday through Thursday and having Fridays off is that I can beat the traffic to new movies courtesy of the seven-dollar pre-noon matinees at the theater down the street. I penciled a 10:30 AM showing of Avengers: Age of Ultron into my schedule a few days ago, and made a seat reservation.

Avengers: Age of Ultron is not merely a sequel to the first Avengers film back in 2012, because it references events in subsequent Marvel films, especially last year's Captain America: The Winter Soldier. This film pretty much starts right where that last Captain America movie left off, with the Avengers storming a castle hideout to take down operatives of the Hydra organization. Tony Stark/Iron Man decides to utilize technology obtained during the castle raid to finish his project, Ultron, an artificial intelligence entity intended as a peacekeeping global defense. Chaos ensues, however, when a fully aware Ultron decides that the best way to achieve peace on Earth is to wipe out the entire human race.

Filmmakers are advancing the capability to create movies with seamless digital effects, and Avengers: Age of Ultron pushes the envelope farther than ever before with several spectacular showdowns that mirror the panel illustrations of the Avengers comic series, where each and every superhero character uses his or her abilities at the same time within the same frame. It's a testament to the talent of all involved that these elaborate fight scenes are still grounded in a way that does not come across like a sensory overload, so that it is easy to follow exactly what is going on with every individual character during the battles.

More importantly, though, this latest Avengers film is not without its share of quiet character-building moments. The movie includes quite a few low-key dialogue scenes that bring us closer to each character. I'm glad, for instance, that we get to know Hawkeye a little better this time around.

I'm pleased with Avengers: Age of Ultron, and I think that it sets the bar pretty high for the rest of the movies coming our way this summer.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Avengers: Age of Ultron

One of my favorite things about working 10-hour days Monday through Thursday and having Fridays off is that I can beat the traffic to new movies courtesy of the seven-dollar pre-noon matinees at the theater down the street. I penciled a 10:30 AM showing of Avengers: Age of Ultron into my schedule a few days ago, and made a seat reservation.

Avengers: Age of Ultron is not merely a sequel to the first Avengers film back in 2012, because it references events in subsequent Marvel films, especially last year's Captain America: The Winter Soldier. This film pretty much starts right where that last Captain America movie left off, with the Avengers storming a castle hideout to take down operatives of the Hydra organization. Tony Stark/Iron Man decides to utilize technology obtained during the castle raid to finish his project, Ultron, an artificial intelligence entity intended as a peacekeeping global defense. Chaos ensues, however, when a fully aware Ultron decides that the best way to achieve peace on Earth is to wipe out the entire human race.

Filmmakers are advancing the capability to create movies with seamless digital effects, and Avengers: Age of Ultron pushes the envelope farther than ever before with several spectacular showdowns that mirror the panel illustrations of the Avengers comic series, where each and every superhero character uses his or her abilities at the same time within the same frame. It's a testament to the talent of all involved that these elaborate fight scenes are still grounded in a way that does not come across like a sensory overload, so that it is easy to follow exactly what is going on with every individual character during the battles.

More importantly, though, this latest Avengers film is not without its share of quiet character-building moments. The movie includes quite a few low-key dialogue scenes that bring us closer to each character. I'm glad, for instance, that we get to know Hawkeye a little better this time around.

I'm pleased with Avengers: Age of Ultron, and I think that it sets the bar pretty high for the rest of the movies coming our way this summer.

Thanks, Jason, I've been hearing good things about this one, and I'm glad it seems to hold up to the first movie.

I think the only Marvel movie DW and I haven't seen at this point is Thor: The Dark World...much reference to that one in A:AOU?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

RunJasonRun

Thanks, Jason, I've been hearing good things about this one, and I'm glad it seems to hold up to the first movie.

I think the only Marvel movie DW and I haven't seen at this point is Thor: The Dark World...much reference to that one in A:AOU?

Not really.  Captain America: The Winter Soldier figures heavily into this new Avengers film, but it's still possible to follow the Avengers film without having seen it either.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still my favorite of the Marvel films so far, but Avengers: Age of Ultron is pretty close.

Mysecondnewname

(Minor spoilers follow)

I'm glad Jason liked the film.

With respect, I really wanted to love the film as I'm a big time comics geek and Avengers is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've seen (followed closely by Winter Soldier).   I liked the film, but I didn't love it.  Here's why:

My favorite scenes in the movie occur early on.   The opening sequence is an amazing tribute to staging and precision--Wow!  In addition, the after dinner scene shines with character and the running jokes are priceless. ( "Language!",  The hammer lifting gag, etc.)

However, I thought that while Avengers 2 had some very great moments (especially if you are familiar with the Marvel Universe:   Klaw!!!!), I think Josh Whedon could have really used an editor.  The idea of "kill your darlings" comes to mind, as there were just way too many throwaways and what could have been rather interesting backstories, etc, which resulted in a bit of story bloat.  They almost feel tacked-on (especially the ballyhooed "romance" aspects and the forced sterilization).     In addition, while some of Whedon's trademark clever asides tickle as usual, others just feel forced. and out of place.  For example, when Thor and another character team up to belt Ultron, the requisite snappy rejoinder is ill suited to context and breaks up what should have been a cool moment.

In addition, the now familiar 3rd act of the typical Marvel film (cf:  Iron Man 2, Avengers 1, etc.) comes into play where faceless minions attack, selfless sacrifices take place, and a whole lot of skyscrapers fall down in slow motion.    I also think those who don't follow the previous movies will be confused as to who some of the plethora of minor characters are.  They don't add a whole lot, but they do serve as setups for Avengers 3 (West Coast Avengers, anyone?).  However, I'm pretty sure there are going to be a lot shrugs going on amongst the less geeky audience members.  I will say, one introduced character is really off the charts--exactly as I imagined them, but curiously without the one defining power they possess in the comics.

Finally, although James Spader is appropriately creepy as the title villain, I just didn't think they spent enough time/thought developing Ultron's motivations.  The original comic character had an Oedipus complex, which would have been fascinating to see on screen and given the character more depth.  Here, he just resorts to the ol' Nomad 7 reason to terminate humanity.  HIs chosen method of world destruction is also kind of goofy, IMHO.

All in all, I think it is worth seeing on the big screen, but it suffers in comparison to it's amazing forebearer.  Had it been a 2 hour film, I reckon it would have come much closer to reaching the mark.  Hopefully, by the time Avengers 3 hits, Whedon will trim the "clever just to be clever" stuff, and really hone in on the characters and the main story.

One final thing:  there is only one post-credits scene and it's a doozy.  Although it's not completely unexpected, it does have the desired impact and I can't wait for Avengers 3.

Birdwell

I saw the movie, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, I thought the Hawkeye stuff was a bit over the top.

I felt they were trying to force his likability on us and all of the sudden I'm supposed to care about Hawkeye?

Not gonna happen.

Hip Redux

Saw Inside Llewyn Davis last night. The Coen brothers' latest. I loved the marquee on the theater: "Starring a cat and John Goodman." Yup. It was really good. Amazing--things kind of happen, sure, but really, nothing happens. There's not a traditional arc. But I wasn't bored. And, of course, the music was great.

We watched this last night.  To be fair, I was multi-tasking while watching but I just couldn't get into it.  I mostly found the main character to be so.... flat, I guess.

The cat was the best part!    And the music was great, I agree.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Saw Still Life last night on Amazon direct or whatever they call it.  Summary courtesy of IMDB: A council case worker looks for the relatives of those found dead and alone.

One of the reasons I picked this movie was the high ratings it got both on Amazon and IMDB.  It's not that it's a "bad" movie but it is a little on the slow side as it builds the main character; really only 1 character in this movie. I kept expecting this movie to get to the outstanding part that everyone seems to be mentioning in their reviews. It never really happens.  Yes, the ending is good (no spoilers from me) but it seems like sitting through 80 minutes of watching water boil for the payoff.  I suppose if you're really the introvert type this movie would really appeal to you and you could relate to the main character.

Rating: 5/10 Socks.

You people have issues 

RunJasonRun

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Mad Max movies are basically post-apocalyptic versions of the old 1939 western, Stagecoach, in that the horses and stagecoaches have been replaced by heavily-armored cars and fuel tankers, while John Wayne's hero figure has been replaced by Max Max and the Apache tribe has been replaced by feral gangs in ragged punk outfits. This formula never gets old, though, and the new film, Mad Max: Fury Road, is one of the best cinematic depictions of vehicular mayhem that I have seen in quite a while. This fast-paced movie barrels forward from one explosive confrontation to another, and blows the mind with a series of action sequences that rely primarily on practical special effects and real stunts, so that the viewers are right there in the fray, just as they were in Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985).

This time around, Mad Max, who is portrayed with rugged toughness by Tom Hardy, takes a second-place podium to make way for one of the most mesmerizing female action characters in movie history. Charlize Theron, as Furiosa, shines in what I personally believe is her greatest movie role to date, and she slays all during the fight scenes while also displaying a convincing air of vulnerability. Hugh Keays-Byrne, who played Toecutter in the original Mad Max film, is impressive as the main villain, Immortan Joe, and, although he wears a mask the entire time, he is able convey so much with his eyes that one cannot help but relate to his motivations even during his most vile moments. George Miller, who directed the first three Mad Max films, steps back up to the plate in a big way, and, although 30 years have passed since Beyond Thunderdome, he keeps us grounded in the same gritty aesthetics of sand and rusted metal that made those first three films so special. The difference is that Miller now has the budget to realize his visions in full, so Fury Road ups the ante with over 150 actual drivable vehicles that were used to wreak havoc onscreen while computer effects were mainly utilized to enhance the film location landscapes and to remove stunt rigging from the background.

Mad Max: Fury Road is completely off the chain, so do not miss it while it is showing on a big theater screen near you.

No more marathons

RunJasonRun

Great review - and right on the mark.  This was non-stop from beginning to end.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

RunJasonRun

San Andreas 

My love for all of those 1970s disaster films carries over into present day, so the decision to check out the seven-dollar pre-noon matinee of San Andreas at the theater down the street this morning was an easy one. If you like to see mass destruction on the big screen, then this one does not disappoint. If, however, you are quite attached to the cityscapes of San Francisco and Los Angeles, then you may want to proceed with caution. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson pulls his weight, and is convincing even in this role that is more serious than his normal fare. Carla Gugino and Alexandra Daddario are both great for eye candy, but they both deliver surprisingly tough roles as well. The Australian singer, Kylie Minogue, whom I've loved for a long while now, has a short cameo as an unfortunate woman in a high rise. Computer-generated special effects are not scary, and they will never be scary, but this movie still has a few decent thrill rides up its sleeve. I still prefer the 1974 film, Earthquake, in all of its practical effects glory, but San Andreas shakes things up enough to stay interesting, and it gets an enthusiastic thumbs-up from me.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Kung Fury (2015) - Every 80s action movie rolled into one.  Hard to pick out the best part, but my personal favorite is the Power Glove and Timex Sinclare used to "Hack Time" to sent the hero back to kill Hitler.  The link is the actual whole movie.  If you don't like the first 2mins, you'll hate the rest of the film.  (5/5)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do