RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I just noticed that my DVR (automatically) recorded Blazing Saddles. Dang it, now there's another 2-hour block of time I have to set aside. It's like the National Anthem, or Casablanca. once you start, you MUST watch/listen to the whole thing. You can't stop in the middle. Somebody's gotta go get a shitload of dimes! Or popcorn. Whatever.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, we found it last night while channel surfing and HAD to finish watching it. I also found a website with free ringtone downloads and a few audio bits from BS...I just wish there were more from Lili. I may use the Gabby Johnson "cracker kroaker" gibberish one as DH's ring. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

FOLLOWUP and warning: Turns out my DVR recorded the AMC "censored", politically correct version. Which means all the good dialog is gone. Why do they even bother? Don't they get the irony? Does anyone remember the first amendment? Oh never mind. DELETED. Sheesh.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nope, I'm totally with you. We recently saw a Mexican film (Y Tu Mama Tambien) that we really liked...but when I read more about it online I realized that we missed some important details. 4 minutes of the film were cut to "achieve" the R rating, but part of those 4 minutes completely changed the viewer's understanding of the main characters' interaction and the ending of the film. We liked it enough to purchase the NR version off of Amazon. BS is one of the last movies that should be censored. Part of what makes it such a great film is that a Jewish man was able to poke fun at EVERYONE...including his own. No one was left unscathed. I think it's the only time I've ever heard the "n word" and not cringed, too. Being able to be offensive without offending anyone takes talent.

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

BS is one of the last movies that should be censored. Part of what makes it such a great film is that a Jewish man was able to poke fun at EVERYONE...including his own. No one was left unscathed. I think it's the only time I've ever heard the "n word" and not cringed, too. Being able to be offensive without offending anyone takes talent.
            I'm with you, Zoomie. When they censor the movie, they totally miss the point, and turn a classic satire into a simplistic screwball comedy. Why even bother airing it once they've emasculated it like that?

Menace to Sobriety

The network television edition of Fast Times at Ridgemont High is similar. They've removed literally all drug references. What remains is a largely incoherant collection of random scenes.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

The voice of mile 18

FOLLOWUP and warning: Turns out my DVR recorded the AMC "censored", politically correct version. Which means all the good dialog is gone. Why do they even bother? Don't they get the irony? Does anyone remember the first amendment? Oh never mind. DELETED. Sheesh.
                how can it run two hours? cut out all the bad stuff and it should be 45-50 seconds tops

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

FastTalkingFatty

Just a quick warning here: Taken is a bad bad movie, not good bad, not bad that akes you laugh, not bad where it's fun to find the inconsistencies. Just simply bad. I love bad movies, my sister and I feel that one should always take time to watch a bad movie: you might never get to see it again while a good movie will probably be shown over and over again on cable; plus it's always good to know how the venomous snakes from the amazon mutated and found their way to the new suburb being built in town. 'Cause you just never know. But this one NO. nonononononono. It's been a few weeks and I still get angry, so very angry.

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

325th place or bust!

I'm with you on that. One of my favorites is "The Blues Brothers" which I caught on cable a while back. Keep in mind this was a cable channel, not broadcast. There's a scene where Jake and Elwood are talking to the nun and Jake says: "I guess you're really up Sh*t Creek" which causes the nun to hit him with a ruler, which leads to more swearing and general mayhem. Now if they had bleeped out the s-word I would have understood, but they *dubbed* over it to make it sound like Jake said "you're up a creek". egads. That made the nun's actions pretty hard to understand...

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

xor

I just caught the end of Meatballs. First time I've seen it in 20ish years. You will all remember that the way the misfit kid becomes the hero is because he beats the much bigger kid in the cross country/trail run thingy. But I noticed, for the first time: They refer to the race, several times, as "the 4 mile marathon." It's a big deal when Morty lets Rudy run "the marathon." Ok then.

highonrunning

Porkey Ok i saw this with my girlfriend and it was odd and all but i got a great chuckle out of it. It does go a little far, but how could you not enjoy something as funny as this. The main plot concerns the efforts of a group of Florida high school students in 1954 intent on losing their virginity. it was hilarious...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Porkey Ok i saw this with my girlfriend and it was odd and all but i got a great chuckle out of it. It does go a little far, but how could you not enjoy something as funny as this. The main plot concerns the efforts of a group of Florida high school students in 1954 intent on losing their virginity. it was hilarious...
                          Cry I feel so old...I can remember when this movie came out (I was too young to see it in the theater, but still...).

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Touch of Evil is on one of the Encores right now. I've heard the stories about Orson Wells' battles with the studio, but I've never seen it. The only reason I really know about it is because it comes up in Get Shorty. Chili Palmer (John Travolta) wants to go watch it with Renee Russo's character... and sells it as a fun thing with the line "let's go see Charlton Heston be a Mexican." Now I've seen what he's talking about. Charlton Heston doesn't look one bit latino. But you know who he DOES look like? John Dillinger. And I mean, spitting image. Weird.

Imminent Catastrophe

OK, it's on HBO but it's still a movie: Taking Chance Everyone should watch this. Everyone. Even if you're not American. Doesn't matter.

I just saw "The Watchmen" And wow, It was... I don't even know. I think I enjoyed it? Although wayyyy too much violence and sex for me though. I liked the whole "End of the world" theme and Dr. Manhattan though.
                                2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.