RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

If you choose movies on Netflix, pay attention to what you pick.

You will be quite depressed if you think you are about to watch The Mask, but you actually requested Mask.

When my DW was a teen her father took her to see "Chariots of Fire". Somehow they ended up in "Quest for Fire". Hilarity ensued.

MTA: I didn't realize that scene was on TV. Kind of surprises me, if you've ever watched the TV version of "Blazing Saddles" or "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" or any number of films, after the network censor gets through with them they are almost unwatchable.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

We went to see "Harry Potter" today. With about 20 minutes left in the film, the power went out. D'oh!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

if you've ever watched the TV version of "Blazing Saddles" or "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" or any number of films, after the network censor gets through with them they are almost unwatchable.

I'm not sure why they even try to broadcast these.  Any existing fans of the films know what they're missing but those who haven't seen these movies probably don't understand why they are such great, timeless films once the best parts of them have been edited away...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

MTA: I didn't realize that scene was on TV. Kind of surprises me, if you've ever watched the TV version of "Blazing Saddles" or "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" or any number of films, after the network censor gets through with them they are almost unwatchable.

Blues Brothers is another one that gets bludgeoned.  

The funny thing about these movies is that a lot of the things that were edited/censored would probably pass muster today.  But the versions that get shown on TV are the ones with the edits from 20 years ago.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Blues Brothers is another one that gets bludgeoned.  

Of course, this is not all bad...my kid LOVES the police car chase/crash scene (yeah, he's warped...I have NO idea why...) and can watch the televised version without any need for muting the TV. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Of course, this is not all bad...my kid LOVES the police car chase/crash scene (yeah, he's warped...I have NO idea why...) and can watch the televised version without any need for muting the TV. Big grin

Now that I think about it, "shit" is the word most edited out of that movie, and that's still a no-go.

Jake: Well then, I guess you're really up shit creek.

Elwood: Shit!
              Jake: What?
              Elwood: Rollers.
              Jake: No?
              Elwood: Yeah.
              Jake: Shit.

Jake: That's right, so I don't wanna hear anymore of this small change shit.

Aretha: The Blues Brothers! Shit, they still owe you money, fool!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

We went to see "Harry Potter" today. With about 20 minutes left in the film, the power went out. D'oh!

Snape kills Dumbledore.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Here it is on youtube.

Rundadrun27

My wife and I rented Gran Torino last night.  I highly recommend it.  Clint Eastwood was the perfect actor for the role he played.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

redleaf

This is a fun thread. Up to page 5 now and added a bunch of stuff to the zip.ca list!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I rented a Christian Bale movie called Equilibrium this weekend. It had some of the best gun fight seems I've ever seen. It's about a post ww3 world where the government injects people to remove feelings to prevent a ww4 from happening.
                          jeffdonahue

I rented a Christian Bale movie called Equilibrium this weekend. It had some of the best gun fight seems I've ever seen. It's about a post ww3 world where the government injects people to remove feelings to prevent a ww4 from happening.

Excellent movie, though the end if I remember was a bit anti-climactic.

Has anyone seen GI JOE yet?  I am debating whether to take my 7 y.o. son.  I dont have a problem with him watching action or fight scenes but you never know what other crap they are going to throw in there (ie - Transformers had a useless scene discussing masturbation that was not needed nor called for) and I would like to avoid stuff like that, but other than that I think he would like it.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I almost never post to this thread because, despite my love of movies, I see them so long after they come out that there's almost no point.  But what the hell.  Saw Benjamin Button this weekend.  Loved it.  It was a magical, Forrest-Gump-esque journey through the 20th century with reverse aging instead of a box of chocolates.  I liked it so much I even made a spreadsheet to calculate Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett's biological ages at various points in the movie to make sure that they were accurate (they were -- the filmmakers did their homework).

And on the completely opposite end of the sophistication spectrum, I saw a movie that set the bar extremely low, but managed to clear it -- Stepbrothers with Will Farrell and John C. Reilly.  I give credit where credit is due  -- Messrs. Farrell and Reilly successfully managed to walk the thin line that separates lazy dolts from just plain stupid.

redleaf

I almost never post to this thread because, despite my love of movies, I see them so long after they come out that there's almost no point.  But what the hell.  Saw Benjamin Button this weekend.  Loved it.  It was a magical, Forrest-Gump-esque journey through the 20th century with reverse aging instead of a box of chocolates.  I liked it so much I even made a spreadsheet to calculate Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett's biological ages at various points in the movie to make sure that they were accurate (they were -- the filmmakers did their homework).

And on the completely opposite end of the sophistication spectrum, I saw a movie that set the bar extremely low, but managed to clear it -- Stepbrothers with Will Farrell and John C. Reilly.  I give credit where credit is due  -- Messrs. Farrell and Reilly successfully managed to walk the thin line that separates lazy dolts from just plain stupid.

That's just like me really - I tend to see action movies in the theatres because things blow up better on the big screen but other than that I usually see movies years later! This thread started in 2006 and I've only read the first 5 pages and added three movies to my list.

And now I'll add Stepbrothers and DH will be pleased.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362