RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Did you guys talk already about Life of Pi ?

I thought it was the best 3D movie I ever saw in terms of visuals. The story was cool too.

Did you read the book? I'm always curious how the ended "felt" to people that didn't read the book...I don't want to give out any spoilers but when I read the book the end was very...dramatic...as it unfolded...but the movie didn't feel that way to me - but I wasn't sure if it was because I already knew what was coming?? Like I said, I don't want to give anything away to anyone that hasn't seen or read it, just curious.

I loved Life of Pi and agree that it was the best 3D movie...best CGI animal ever in the history of CGI; that Tiger was so real.

AjayMac

I have heard so many good things about this movie and the book. Should I read the book first, or should I just watch the movie and then read the book afterward?

________________________________________________________________________________________

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." –Confucius

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.

I have heard so many good things about this movie

so far, i've been put off by 3.14159265359 hour running time.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

jfa

so far, i've been put off by 3.14159265359 hour running time.

Eh, that's a pisser.

I did not read the book. However, I did see the movie twice. Even knowing the ending did not lessen my enjoyment.

I have heard so many good things about this movie and the book. Should I read the book first, or should I just watch the movie and then read the book afterward?

________________________________________________________________________________________

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.

I absolutely loved the book but the movie easily stands on its own. Beautifully done, great story, etc. Very entertaining.

AjayMac

I absolutely loved the book but the movie easily stands on its own. Beautifully done, great story, etc. Very entertaining.

Alright cool! I'll add that to my "To Watch" list. 

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Did you read the book? I'm always curious how the ended "felt" to people that didn't read the book...I don't want to give out any spoilers but when I read the book the end was very...dramatic...as it unfolded...but the movie didn't feel that way to me - but I wasn't sure if it was because I already knew what was coming?? Like I said, I don't want to give anything away to anyone that hasn't seen or read it, just curious.

I loved Life of Pi and agree that it was the best 3D movie...best CGI animal ever in the history of CGI; that Tiger was so real.

Wait...there's a tiger?!  I thought you said no spoilers!

Burton vs. Nolan: apples and oranges, IMO.  And I like them both.  Someone mentioned the depth Ledger gave the Joker character, and I agree, it was pretty exceptional...and I think, for me, that summarizes the difference throughout: depth.  I mean, there isn't exactly a Scorsese epic in either series, but where I'd say the focus for Burton was depth of his trademark visual style, Nolan focused more on depth of character and motivation.

Like I say, I really like both...and further, I wish both directors would go back five or six projects in terms of the types of movies they make.  I think Nolan will - nothing I've heard makes me think he's scared of the deep end yet.  But it doesn't seem like Burton is interested in coming at us from left field anymore.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

AjayMac

But it doesn't seem like Burton is interested in coming at us from left field anymore.

And that's a crying shame. He really needs to come up with something new, fresh and TIm Burton-like. 

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.

Eh, could be, but I really wish Nolan would get back to making interesting movies, like Memento and Insomnia. The superhero genre does not do him justice.

+1

The first two movies always on my list to recommend to people are Memento and The Prestige. Used to be I could not wait to see what Nolan was going to do next, because you knew it was going to be not like anything else you had seen. Then he got into the Batman films, which are very good, but in the end are still superhero movies which everyone is doing. He did manage to squeeze Inception in there, so there is hope. Got me wondering on what he is in fact doing next, so I looked it up. Guess what? Superman. But then he has a couple sci-fi-looking projects, so we'll see.

Dave

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Saw Silver Linings over the weekend.  I have no idea what the fuss is about.  Jennifer Lawrence does a good job.  But Cooper's acting fades through the movie and you end up with just Cooper.  That being said, I really enjoyed the film.  A bunch of good jokes and poking fun at sports fans.  The Philadelphiacana was rather fun.  Oddly, the two guys who saw it (me and a 70yo Indian-Brit) had a good time with it.  The two women we brought did not like it at all, or find it the least bit funny.  Maybe next time the boys will get to choose.

Homeland - started watching this series.  I also don't understand what the fuss is about this show.  Yes, it's enjoyable.  But there's nothing outstanding about it -- well, except Clarie Dane's acting, which vassilates between desperate, vulnerable and confident -- that is to say, perfect.  Mandy Patinkin holds every scene he's in and is a complete joy to watch.  The rest is rather "meh".  The main question is whether the returning PoW is working for the bad guys.  But you get the sense that you're just being strung along and the writers haven't really decided one way or the other -- but keep giving you breadcrumbs on each trail.  So, I don't really care.

Now, if you want a deeper cerebral treatment of the Homeland idea, try: Rubicon.   Okay, the show didn't last that long on AMC, but the acting is better, the plot deeper and much more intriguing.  It gets a little confused in the end, when the series isn't going to continue.  But it's a nice short ride. 

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

BeeRunB

check out the movie, Departures, a Japanese film. Running on Netflix streaming these days.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

check out the movie, Departures, a Japanese film. Running on Netflix streaming these days.

LOVE that film.  Oddly, I also IDed the female co-star from Wasabe, even though I'd only seen here the once and 10 years earlier.  Damn good movie, though.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xor

I don't want to see it, but "Bullet to the Head" sounds like it was titled by the same folks who came up with "Snakes on a Plane".  What are some uber-literal titles like this?

xor

Eh, could be, but I really wish Nolan would get back to making interesting movies, like Memento and Insomnia.

I realize "interesting" =/= "I like", but I thought you didn't like Insomnia and found his ideas to be silliness.

(I didn't really like Insomnia.  It was ok, but at the end, I was "wait, THIS is what everyone was going on and on about??".  I really liked Memento a lot.  But after many years, I'm still not 100% sure I understood all of it.)

((speaking of "what was that about..", I watched Adaptation with my 82 year old dad a few days ago.  He didn't get it, so I tried to help explain.  Easier to understand than Memento, but not easy to explain really.))

I realize "interesting" =/= "I like", but I thought you didn't like Insomnia and found his ideas to be silliness.

(I didn't really like Insomnia.  It was ok, but at the end, I was "wait, THIS is what everyone was going on and on about??".  I really liked Memento a lot.  But after many years, I'm still not 100% sure I understood all of it.)

((speaking of "what was that about..", I watched Adaptation with my 82 year old dad a few days ago.  He didn't get it, so I tried to help explain.  Easier to understand than Memento, but not easy to explain really.))

For me, Insomnia was not bad but more of a mild disappointment, as I went into it with such a high level of anticipation - "the new movie by the guy who did Memento". (Mementos - the freshmaker!) And of course Pacino is a great actor and all, but he ALWAYS looks like he's been awake for 3 days straight, so that role wasn't much of a stretch. And I still don't know why people don't talk more about The Prestige.

If you said you did 100% understand Memento, I would have called B.S. on you. I am convinced there are parts that are just not figure-outable.

Adaptation is another good one, along with some other Charlie Kaufman films (Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). movies like these with a very high originality quotient always get extra points with me vs. a well-made movie of a more formulaic nature.

Dave