RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Now... talk about a movie that is like that but much, much more so... Primer. Mind = blown.

Primer - yeah, that's a movie you can sink your brain into.  Perhaps the best time-travel move ever made.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Primer. Mind = blown.

OK I will have to check into that one, I am a total sucker for time-travel movies in general. According to IMDB, the total budget was $7000, so I guess I know why I've never heard of it. And the first movie on the "You might also like" list was Pi (not to be confuse with Life of Pi), which had to be one of the freakiest movies of all time. So I am now intrigued but a bit frightened.

Dave

god hates us all

My wife likes Fight Club.  The year the movie came out we were Tyler Durden and Marla for Halloween.

Awesome!  I would have had your same reaction.

I don't know why most women don't seem to like Fight Club.  You'd think, with all the shirtless Brad Pitt-ness...I guess it's the nihilism.

That said, I'm not that big of a fan of the overall message (though I do like the anti-materialism), but it's a classic example of presentation trumping content for me.  Anyway, if they haven't already, knifey, your movie tastes are going to make some lucky guy very happy some day (if guys are your thing)!

bhearn, that's interesting, how you watched The Sixth Sense for the first time!  That would be an interesting perspective.  I'm apparently one of the three or four people in the world who like M. Night's style, and wouldn't mind - nay, would be excited - if he stopped worrying about "twists."  He's certainly swung-and-missed once or twice (*coughTheHappening!cough*), but I generally like how he takes his time with a story.  For me, a movie doesn't have to be jam-packed with plot, or meaning, or what-have-you, as long as what's there is well-presented.

Primer, huh?  I'll have to check that out.  The IMDb page looks really interesting!

My wife likes Fight Club.  The year the movie came out we were Tyler Durden and Marla for Halloween.

That's awesome.

OK, I see I can stream Primer on Netflix...will check that out next week. I'm a sucker for a good time travel movie.

Cool Jump Suit

Rented a couple of good movies this weekend.

Watched Men in Black 3 with the kids.  They're 7 & 9 and really enjoyed it.  A little gross for them, but the outrageousness of the aliens really kept them interested.  Plus, according to my 9 yo, Jaden Smith's dad is in it.  I'm old.

Also rented a movie from 2011 called Butter.  Didn't think I would like it as it's not my usual movie "type", but it was pretty interesting.  And let me tell you, it's not easy to have a good movie about butter carving.  If they'd added bacon to it, it probably would have been a blockbuster.  One guys opinion.  Check it out though...Jennifer Garner, Ty Burrell, and Hugh Jackman.

So bittersweet,
            This tragedy
            Won't ask for absolution;
            This melody,
            Inside of me,
            Still searches for solution.
            A twist of faith,
            A change of heart
            Cures my infatuation.
            A broken heart, 
            Provides the spark
            For my determination.

taogreg

I don't think any great movie list isn't complete without The 13th Warrior, with Antonio Banderas.   Awesome movie night type of movie.

How many times do I have to say it?  Pillage, THEN burn!

just watched Casa de mi Padre and it's v.funny (with the intentional continuity gaffs stealing the show).  4 out of 5 badgers

Miguel Irnesto: "You have your mother's eyes"

Armando: "You have said that many times...the eyes of a small chicken"

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Zero Dark Thirty - Good movie.  It's an analyst move, not an action movie -- and I really liked how they refused to make the raid the focus of the film.  The pacing of the raid is a jarringly wonderful antidote to the hyper-kinetic GO-GO-GO door kicking SWAT actions usually depicted.  The absence of a visceral "HooRaw!" at end also contextualized the accomplishment with its origins at the beginning of the film.  Much less than a justification for torture, this film presents a moral problem for the morally awakened viewer - is it worth it?  Where a fist-pumping finally would push hard for a "YES!", this does not. (4/5)

Beasts of the Southern Wild - it's too bad the director chose to lace a good cultural study with a silly ham-fisted metaphor.  The culture, conversations, philosophy, living conditions and language of people living on the edge of the South was enough of a character without visions of prehistoric pigs.  The father and daughter duo in this film deserve all the credit for making this watchable.  The abject poverty and outright harmful parenting are sweetly contextualized and colorized by the father's uneducated understanding of reality and the child's magical-realism.  The acting saves the film.  His.  Hers. (3/5)

Jeff, Who Lives at Home - Loser, stoner, believer in 'signs' as an existential siren .  If you like stories about losers who never catch a break, but in the end redeem their lives, then this is your film.  Personally, I found it painful to watch. (2/5)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Chantilly75

Jeff, Who Lives at Home - Loser, stoner, believer in 'signs' as an existential siren .  If you like stories about losers who never catch a break, but in the end redeem their lives, then this is your film.(2/5)

We both liked this cute little movie.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

SheCan

I don't know why most women don't seem to like Fight Club.  You'd think, with all the shirtless Brad Pitt-ness...I guess it's the nihilism.

That said, I'm not that big of a fan of the overall message (though I do like the anti-materialism), but it's a classic example of presentation trumping content for me.  Anyway, if they haven't already, knifey, your movie tastes are going to make some lucky guy very happy some day (if guys are your thing)!

I'm one of those weird women who really liked Fight Club.  Someone once told me that I was apparently as "sick as anyone else" because of my tastes in movies!  I loved the black humor of it.    This weekend, I finally got to see Seven Psychopaths and again, it was one of those movies that not everyone would like, very violent, and as sick and wrong as it was, it kept me entertained and amused for the whole 2 hours.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jeff, Who Lives at Home - Loser, stoner, believer in 'signs' as an existential siren .  If you like stories about losers who never catch a break, but in the end redeem their lives, then this is your film.  Personally, I found it painful to watch. (2/5)

if you haven't already seen it, reckon you'd enjoy Hesher.

Doc, my tooth hurts

I liked Jeff, Who Lives at Home. Not the greatest movie, not the worst by far. If you didn't like this one, don't see anything else by the Duplass brothers.

I just finished the 1999 movie "The Insider" with Russell Crowe and Al Pacino. I thought it was an AMAZING performance by Crowe and am really surprised he didn't win the Oscar that year. The story was compelling, even though I knew how it ended. Definitely a must watch for anyone who hasn't seen it. I still can't believe American Beauty won so many awards that year when there were so many other strong contenders that are still better.

SheCan

I just finished the 1999 movie "The Insider" with Russell Crowe and Al Pacino. I thought it was an AMAZING performance by Crowe and am really surprised he didn't win the Oscar that year. The story was compelling, even though I knew how it ended. Definitely a must watch for anyone who hasn't seen it. I still can't believe American Beauty won so many awards that year when there were so many other strong contenders that are still better.

Now you got me jonzin to see this one.  I looked it up, and can't ever remember seeing it before.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Chantilly75

I just finished the 1999 movie "The Insider" with Russell Crowe and Al Pacino. I thought it was an AMAZING performance by Crowe and am really surprised he didn't win the Oscar that year. I still can't believe American Beauty won so many awards that year when there were so many other strong contenders that are still better.

American Beauty was a disappointment, after all the hype by the critics.  Agree there were better movies that year.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Ted - crude, offensive, childish, predictable...I loved it! (4/5)