RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

"HEED!  PANTS!  NOW!"

OMG, my wife & I still use that line, not sure why it's so hilarious, it just is (or maybe is not, to 99.9+% of the population). That and "We have a piper down!"

As far as the Hangover, I do agree it was overhyped, although still one of the better comedies of the last few years.

Two other movies with Zach Galifianakis (not sure if I spelled his name right, but on iPad & too hard to look up) which I thought were just going to be dumb but were actually very funny: Due Date & The Campaign.

Dave

LOL, I loved So I Married An Axe Murderer, and don't understand why it wasn't more popular ("HEED!  PANTS!  NOW!")!  So maybe I'll be okay with Bridesmaids.

It's not so much that I "didn't like" The Hangover, it's just that I didn't think it was the funniest movie in the world like everyone else seemed to.  Though I did like the plot device of them trying to piece together the events of the previous evening from the pictures on the digital camera.

So I Married an Axe Murderer - awesome movie.  To this day if hanging out with friends and someone goes into the bathroom there's a good chance someone says:  LIGHT A MATCH!

I liked The Hangover but not as much as expected given how great I was told it was.  Funny, but doesn't hold a candle to something like Old School.

SheCan

I liked The Hangover but not as much as expected given how great I was told it was.  Funny, but doesn't hold a candle to something like Old School.

+1  that's for sure.  And The Hangover 2 sucked in my opinion.

But Old School, I've watched that one over and over.

"you're crazy, man.  You're crazy.  I like you, but you're crazy."

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

I watched part of The Rookie again this weekend while lifting weights.  Something about a 38 year old guy suddenly and magically rediscovering major league form appeals to me for some reason.  Maybe its because I turn 38 on Wednesday.  Similar appeal with Invincible although I think he was only 30.

A must for a hockey player - Miracle.  Even though I already know what happens and have seen it numerous times, I still will be glued to the TV.  They did a great job with this one including capturing the era in its context.  The hockey action is very well done.  I'm sure it will be on as we are nearing the anniversary of the game again.

+1  that's for sure.  And The Hangover 2 sucked in my opinion.

Yes....it sure did.  I had to shut it off.

Lilyhammer is another underrated gem from Netflix. Frank Tagliano (Steven Van Zandt aka Silvio from The Sopranos) adapts to life with a fresh identity in Lillehammer (Norway).  highly entertaining (4.1/5)

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Wing

Joggaholic

I just watched Into the Wind (Terry Fox documentary) on netlfix 2 nights ago while running on the TM. If the show had been 10 hours long it would have made me stay on the TM for 10 hours.

Found it on youtube too.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I just watched Into the Wind (Terry Fox documentary) on netlfix 2 nights ago while running on the TM. If the show had been 10 hours long it would have made me stay on the TM for 10 hours.

Found it on youtube too.

Watched it on tonight's treadmill run...wow.

...and as I ran and watched, I realized this was the first run I've had since Friday that was free of this weird pain I've been having in my right upper thigh.

Coincidence?  I think so.  But having watched his story, I'll certainly count my fully intact, functional body* as one of my many blessings from this point on, and take my future little aches and pains with a big grain of salt.

*a body which still couldn't achieve what he did

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Safety Not Guaranteed. Awesome film. Synopsis from IMDb: "Three magazine employees head out on an assignment to interview a guy who placed a classified ad seeking a companion for time travel." It's not sci-fi. It is a charming little quirky film - I guess a rom-com, but certainly not a typical one.

BeeRunB

Lilyhammer is another underrated gem from Netflix. Frank Tagliano (Steven Van Zandt aka Silvio from The Sopranos) adapts to life with a fresh identity in Lillehammer (Norway).  highly entertaining (4.1/5)

Fun show. Silvio takes over Norway.Cool

For those of you into Gothic material, check out the old Dark Shadows (1966) soap on Neflix. They have a stretch of 166 episodes that are pretty good (just a fraction of the 1200+episodes actually made). Barnabas Collins is one demented vampire. His sidekick, Willie, is a great character.

zonykel

Watched "Dredd" last night. I thought it was pretty good (unlike the crappy Sylvester Stallone version).

"Dredd" reminded me of "Robocop" and "The Raid: Redemption", both violent, but fun movies.

Doc, my tooth hurts

Watched "Dredd" last night. I thought it was pretty good (unlike the crappy Sylvester Stallone version).

"Dredd" reminded me of "Robocop" and "The Raid: Redemption", both violent, but fun movies.

I liked Dredd! Really big fan of Sci-fi, especially those with dystopian futures.  My only gripe would be that there was too much slow-mo in this movie.

I watched Sound City yesterday. It's about Dave Grohl buying the recording board from the now defunct Sound City in LA. It talks with artists that had recorded there from late 70s and up. It kind of goes through the whole recording timeline from the 70s until today. It's a really good watch for Dave Grohl fans, or fans of classic rock. I couldn't believe how many classic albums were recorded there.

Also watched Flight. It was pretty good and didn't follow the typical cookie cutter route I thought it would for a hollywood type movie. I'm not sure Denzel deserved an Oscar nomination, but his performance certainly carried this very good (not great) move.

I'm assuming most people here have netflix, so I'm going to recommend Klown. It's a swedish movie with subtitles in the same vein as a movie like Ted (grossout comedy) but actually funny, has the emotional part of the story, and the characters are likeable.  I thought Ted was borderline unwatchable with the typical Seth Mcfarlane humor, where it's just there on an island and doesn't really tie into the story.  I felt like it was "shocking" just for the sake of being shocking and/or offensive.

Not a movie, but I just finished season 3 of Justified. Such a great, fun show with a total badass that you can root for as the main character (Timothy Olyphant).

I appreciate Charlie Kaufman's stuff, and usually at least think I "get it..." but man, his movies just don't usually leave me feeling very good about things.

MTA: Synecdoche, New York is pretty brilliant.  Doesn't hurt that I'd pay for a ticket to see Philip Seymour Hoffman play peek-a-boo, though.

OK going back a ways in the thread here, but finally watched Synecdoche, New York.

Wow. If anyone ever wondered what a Charlie Kaufman-written movie would be like without someone else directing it (as with his others), to sort of rein in the crazy, this is it. Didn't quite appeal to me as much as the others, although sort of like a car wreck I could not take my eyes off of. Perhaps a fine line between brilliant & self-indulgent; it leaned more towards the latter for me.

Can't imagine what he is going to do next, to top this one.

Dave

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Troubled dude gets an unlikely, yet timely, intervention.  Cracking plot and (flashback inducing) soundtrack (4.2/5)

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

SheCan

I must say i preferred the Stallone version.  The old version wasn't as well acted, wasn't was polished, but was much more entertaining.

The new one was slick and full of action, it just wasn't engaging, and totally lacked any humor at all.  Didn't even find the characters one bit relateable, so for me it fell flat.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson