RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

SheCan

Watched This is 40 last night.  I'm giving it an "its okay" score.  It was kind of funny, but being in my upper 40's me and my DH have went through a lot of that, and all those fights just aren't funny;  they're way too real.  Okay, maybe a little bit funny.  Anyway, I really like Paul Rudd, and he played his normal self, always likable and vulnerable.  I wasn't so sure about Leslie Mann.  I found her character somewhat annoying.  The two kids did a great job, in my opinion.  If you have nothing else to watch, and like Paul Rudd, you might enjoy this movie.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

zonykel

Watched Life of Pi last night.  I never saw it in the theater but I wish I had.  The visuals and cinematography were so awesome.  I haven't read the book but the movie intrigues me enough to go find a copy to read it.

I thought it was an OK movie. I recently posted on Louis Zamperini's story, and I think it's vastly superior to "life of Pi".

some of the CGI was impressive, but there were a handful of CGIs that were weak.

the story was decent, but the movie feels the need to explain everything to you at the end. overall, I liked the movie, but have a sense that it was hyped in my mind with the Oscar nominations.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Life of Pi - Ang Lee is visually brilliant.  The open water gives Lee plenty to show off.  And as others stated, the CGI is both incredibly well done in parts and horribly weak in others.  The story is pitifully weak as well.  Most of the time you spend wondering why he doesn't let the Tiger die; the rest of the time you wonder if his poor decisions will cost him anything in the end.  It's said this is a very religious movie.  I might have a tin-ear in this regard.  Other than the many references to gods, I'm not sure how the story would "make you believe in god" as the narrator promises.  At the end the narrator tells an alternative story, this one factual, rather than the allegorical tiger one.  The view is asked, "which one would you rather believe".  Italics, mine.  I found myself announcing to the TV: "the true one."  The author suggested the allegory was better.  If anything, this sounds like an anti-religious statement: people would rather believe the fairy-tale (i.e. the Bible) to the factual account (i.e. reason).  I'd find that a pretty left-handed compliment if I were a believer.  In any case, I had little interest in seeing this, but can't say the time was wasted.  The visuals were nice.  The boy acted well.  2/5

Now, for something completely different.

Django: Unchained - If you don't like excessive violence don't even bother weighing my review against your aversion.  This is a fun movie.  A western with some meat on the bone.  The slave-vengeance story is well told, giving every one of the characters a driving force.  Jamie Foxx is beautiful in the role.  What a handsome guy.  The costuming (particularly his first post-slavery regalia) is a character itself.  Christopher Waltz trades some hilarious lines peppered with social commentary and German aloofness to the plights and struggles of America.  Lots of nice touches and dialog throughout. Well worth seeing.  4/5

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Slightly different spin on the thread: I watched the Rifftrax treatment of Cool As Ice, starring Vanilla Ice, over the past few nights.

The movie: unintentionally hilarious, except in the parts it was trying to be funny, when it was just sad.

The Rifftrax commentary: intentionally hilarious.

WTF fact of the movie: the director of cinematography was the same fellow who shot Schindler's List, at least according to Mike, Bill, and and Kevin (I'm at work and can't verify).

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

god hates us all

Over the weekend I watched Raising Arizona with my kids (10 and 12).  I've seen it a dozen or so times but it was fun to watch it with them.  They seemed to get a kick out of it.  A whole new world of movie watching is starting to open up as we venture further from the standard "family" movie.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Over the weekend I watched Raising Arizona with my kids (10 and 12).  I've seen it a dozen or so times but it was fun to watch it with them.  They seemed to get a kick out of it.  A whole new world of movie watching is starting to open up as we venture further from the standard "family" movie.

I love having a 12 year old for this...we can finally step away from G/PG-13 a bit.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

My wife and I went to Iron Man 3 and we both hated it.

I guess we were the only ones who did not like it.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

god hates us all

I love having a 12 year old for this...we can finally step away from G/PG-13 a bit.

This seems appropriate. http://onion.com/18zLFvN

Meat Wagon

Puker

Slightly different spin on the thread: I watched the Rifftrax treatment of Cool As Ice, starring Vanilla Ice, over the past few nights.

The movie: unintentionally hilarious, except in the parts it was trying to be funny, when it was just sad.

The Rifftrax commentary: intentionally hilarious.

WTF fact of the movie: the director of cinematography was the same fellow who shot Schindler's List, at least according to Mike, Bill, and and Kevin (I'm at work and can't verify).

Rifftrax is awesome. I laughed my ass off during the Rifftrax of The Two Towers.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

Meat Wagon

Puker

I'm not a Trekkie, but I can't wait to see the new Star Trek: Into Darkness.

I will be rooting for Benedict Cumberbatch to defeat Kirk, destroy the Enterprise, take over Star Fleet and rule the universe with an iron fist. I will be disappointed with any other ending.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

bhearn

I'm not a Trekkie, but I can't wait to see the new Star Trek: Into Darkness.

I am a Trekkie, and bleghhh.

zonykel

Life of Pi - Ang Lee is visually brilliant.  The open water gives Lee plenty to show off.  And as others stated, the CGI is both incredibly well done in parts and horribly weak in others.  The story is pitifully weak as well.  Most of the time you spend wondering why he doesn't let the Tiger die; the rest of the time you wonder if his poor decisions will cost him anything in the end.  It's said this is a very religious movie.  I might have a tin-ear in this regard.  Other than the many references to gods, I'm not sure how the story would "make you believe in god" as the narrator promises.  At the end the narrator tells an alternative story, this one factual, rather than the allegorical tiger one.  The view is asked, "which one would you rather believe".  Italics, mine.  I found myself announcing to the TV: "the true one."  The author suggested the allegory was better.  If anything, this sounds like an anti-religious statement: people would rather believe the fairy-tale (i.e. the Bible) to the factual account (i.e. reason).  I'd find that a pretty left-handed compliment if I were a believer.  In any case, I had little interest in seeing this, but can't say the time was wasted.  The visuals were nice.  The boy acted well.  2/5

You could make an argument that the author is contrasting when telling you that he'll make you believe in god, and yet, creates a parody by having a boy become catholic, muslim, hindu, etc. Then he asks the question of which story you'd want to hear, and I echo your response. You want to hear the true story. But you do get both stories in this movie, anyway.

Your assessment of the anti-religious position of the movie is correct. It appears to be deliberate. Reminds me of the story "Harvey", where a man named Elwood believes that an invisible 6' 3.5" tall rabbit exists. Elwood introduces the rabbit to everyone he meets. It's a harmless delusion. At the end, when Elwood can be cured with simple medication, the audience wants Elwood to remain the same. It asks the question, would you rather be deluded and happy or the opposite? The question is a false dichotomy, but after watching the movie or reading the story, you really want the delusion to continue. You'd be cruel to wish the opposite.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This seems appropriate. http://onion.com/18zLFvN

Ha, thanks to Hulu Plus my kid is now as hooked on Castle as I am.  He, however, is NOT a fan of "Captain Mal" having a romantic relationship with Beckett.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

Fat Kid Rules The World

streamed on Netflix

Enjoyed it. Billy Campbell as the dad was particularly good.

Mysecondnewname

My wife and I went to Iron Man 3 and we both hated it.

I guess we were the only ones who did not like it.

You're not the only one.  I went to see it after a race yesterday and found the script/plot to be all over the place.  It was like they took a bunch of the story lines from the actual comic book and jumbled them all together and didn't do justice to any of them (despite some interesting moments).   It reminded me a lot of Spider-Man 3 for that reason.

It would be interesting for those who really liked Iron Man 3 to read the comic series on which the plot was based http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Man-Extremis-Warren-Ellis/dp/0785183787/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367894577&sr=8-1&keywords=iron+man+extremis

to see how they compare.