RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

That's a great flick.  My favorite quote in 13 Assassins also applies to ultrarunning.  "There are no big or small tasks, all are equally important."

I love how, during the big fights in the last hour, it's easy to tell exactly what is going on with each of the samurai, and I can follow the fight scenes without effort.  It's so different than the jerky editing of most American action films these days.  

Agree.  It was also like that with the other big Japanese samurai movie I remember, Ran.  'Course, as I recall, the opposing factions were all wearing bright, Risk-style colors for the final battle sequence, which helped.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

RunJasonRun

Agree.  It was also like that with the other big Japanese samurai movie I remember, Ran.  'Course, as I recall, the opposing factions were all wearing bright, Risk-style colors for the final battle sequence, which helped.

Ran is a classic.  I love all of the Akira Kurosawa movies.  Seven Samurai is my favorite of his.  It's about there and half hours long, but there's not a wasted second in the whole movie.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Oh wow, you must see "To Have and Have Not". Bogey and Bacall at their best, this movie is THE definition of onscreen chemistry. 

Story by Hemingway.  Screenplay by William F'n Faulkner.  Bogey and Bacall.  B&W.  Too much awesome for one film.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Story by Hemingway.  Screenplay by William F'n Faulkner.  Bogey and Bacall.  B&W.  Too much awesome for one film.

Yes, but are there any samurai?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Yes, but are there any samurai?

Didn't I already say Bogart was in it!

RunJasonRun

For Humphrey Bogart fans, I recommend the 1951 movie, The Enforcer, where Bogart plays a lead prosecutor on a case that is loosely based on the Murder Inc. story.  It's a low-key story that is told mostly in flashbacks, but Bogart's coolness is ever present, and the finale is awesome.

Hip Redux

I watched Dr. No for the first time last night!   Man, Sean Connery is a hunk.    Honey Ryder served no plot point except as eye candy.  And she kept losing clothes or ending up in wet clothes.  lol

RunJasonRun

I watched Dr. No for the first time last night!   Man, Sean Connery is a hunk.    Honey Ryder served no plot point except as eye candy.  And she kept losing clothes or ending up in wet clothes.  lol

This is one of my all-time top five movies.  Dr. No is awesome across the board.  She helped Bond and Quarrel find a place to hide, so she served a purpose.  Aside from looking amazingly beautiful.

I was fortunate to see Dr. No and From Russia with Love on a big theater screen last month.  That was such a great experience.

Mysecondnewname

Finally got around to seeing "Lincoln".

Meh.

I think while the acting was pretty good, the script itself was turgid and it really looked like they tried to stretch things out to fill time.

It was mostly humorless and made what I am inherently interested in rather dry.

I do think the movie was pretty accurate by and large (putting aside conversations that didn’t happen (e.g., the opening scene) and quotes out of context—for example, Lincoln’s declaration in the movie of how much power he has—good quote: wrong context/event.)

The worst sin, in my view, is that I finished the movie not having learned very much about the subject himself.  Sure, he was married to a difficult spouse, walked funny, indulged his kid, and told weird stories at inopportune moments.   As far as who he truly was as a man and what drove him, it's hard to tell from this work.  He remains but a broad-brushed caricature in Spielberg’s hands.   (I’m reading an interesting bio, “A. Lincoln” and hoping that might shed a bit more light..)

It's not horrible, but for those with an interest in the Civil War era, there are better works, IMHO.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

For Humphrey Bogart fans, I recommend the 1951 movie, The Enforcer, ...

Also Cheap Detective

Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Birdwell

You should see him in "Darby O'Gill and the Little people"

at least that's what my wife tells me Wink she was shocked at how attractive he was(her words), having only seen him as an older gentleman in other movies.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Elysium (2013)- Incredible world-building.  Morally simplistic.   It would be so easy to fix.  You just move the "Spider" character to Elysium and have him try to subvert the system he is benefiting from.  About the only glimmer of anything really wrong in paradise is when Jody Foster's character refuses to let the nurse treat her mortal wound -- in a place where full-recovery and an immortal life expectancy is possible -- with the line, "Enough".  Other than that one line and action, nothing on Elysium is complicated for the viewer.  It's just rich uncaring people sunning themselves in their vapid existence while the world struggles in squalor. *yawn*  Still, (3/5).

This is 40 (2012) - Enjoyable, mostly for seeing all the conversations you thought were unique to you and your spouse on the big screen.  Otherwise, the math of their financial existence is perplexing and distracting.  Giant William-Sonoma house, $25k/year charity giving, BMW + SUV in the drive, Trek bike and full Lance cycling gear -- yet income is a boutique shop losing $12k/mo to shoplifting and a hobby-focused record-label start-up because the dad lost his job at Sony.  The reason it was more troubling than 20-somethings with giant apartments in Manhattan was because money problems were the main plot-point through the film.  It was a little long and Albert Brooks is tiring on screen.  But it's worth the laugh or two. (2/5)

Elysium (2013)- Incredible world-building.  Morally simplistic.   It would be so easy to fix.  You just move the "Spider" character to Elysium and have him try to subvert the system he is benefiting from.  About the only glimmer of anything really wrong in paradise is when Jody Foster's character refuses to let the nurse treat her mortal wound -- in a place where full-recovery and an immortal life expectancy is possible -- with the line, "Enough".  Other than that one line and action, nothing on Elysium is complicated for the viewer.  It's just rich uncaring people sunning themselves in their vapid existence while the world struggles in squalor. *yawn*  Still, (3/5)

I agree with your review.  Even so, not a bad action flick.  I might give it 3.5-4 stars because I like all of the robot sci-fi stuff.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Hip Redux

Elysium (2013)- Incredible world-building.  Morally simplistic.   It would be so easy to fix.  You just move the "Spider" character to Elysium and have him try to subvert the system he is benefiting from.  About the only glimmer of anything really wrong in paradise is when Jody Foster's character refuses to let the nurse treat her mortal wound -- in a place where full-recovery and an immortal life expectancy is possible -- with the line, "Enough".  Other than that one line and action, nothing on Elysium is complicated for the viewer.  It's just rich uncaring people sunning themselves in their vapid existence while the world struggles in squalor. *yawn*  Still, (3/5).

And all the super fast/shaky action scenes made me motion sick.   Blah.

god hates us all

This is 40 (2012) - Enjoyable, mostly for seeing all the conversations you thought were unique to you and your spouse on the big screen.  Otherwise, the math of their financial existence is perplexing and distracting.  Giant William-Sonoma house, $25k/year charity giving, BMW + SUV in the drive, Trek bike and full Lance cycling gear -- yet income is a boutique shop losing $12k/mo to shoplifting and a hobby-focused record-label start-up because the dad lost his job at Sony.  The reason it was more troubling than 20-somethings with giant apartments in Manhattan was because money problems were the main plot-point through the film.  It was a little long and Albert Brooks is tiring on screen.  But it's worth the laugh or two. (2/5)

Agree.  I didn't relate to, or even like, these people at all.  It seemed to be based on some bizarro- L.A. middle class notions that I'm not familiar with.