My first marathon (Read 1312 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have took the plunge and am doing my first marathon ever at the end of September. The thing is I havent got a clue where to begin with regards training. All I do know is that I want to go sub 3, at least this is what I wil be aiming for. Any help or training links which you guys reccomend would be great.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

protoplasm72

My advice is don't pick a target race pace before you even start training. Especially one that is beyond your current conditioning based on much shorter races. Start combining the mileage from all your doubles into a single run cause 2 5 milers does not equal 1 10 miler.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Lane

I am also shooting for sub-3:00 for my first marathon in October. You'll get a lot of advise like protoplasms. I'm not saying it's bad advice, but if you're really committed to going under 3:00 and giving it a shot, then I say go for it. Marathons can't be raced often, so I figure it's good to shoot high on the first time. Take my advice with a grain of salt though. I'm 19, inexperienced, think I know it all, am invincible, and in conclusion, it can't happen to me.
        runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Not being a 3 hour marathoner it looks like you need to just get in some(3) 20+ miles and a little more speed work. I did not notice any strength training in your log.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

It's already quite late to start training for a September marathon as most training programs are 20 weeks long. Also, a sub 3 hour finishing time is a very lofty goal for a first marathon. That would require a 6:53 average pace and I see nothing close to that in your log. Your 5K times would put you somewhere in the 3:20 range but a sub 3:00 would be really pushing it. I would suggest that you try to find a marathon later in the year or wait until next year to do your first when you'll have adequate time to train. Tom

Me and my gang in Breck

http://www.sub3marathoner.com/pickapaceall.html Thats quite a lofty goal. Good luck!!!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Slow-smooth-fast

Thanks for the advice guys, maybe I will give it a miss then, and start up a proper training plan for something more distant. Perhaps my first goal should be to get more mpw in. What you guys think?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I would just aim at running the marathon, and let the time take care of itself. The trick in distance running is to train as much as possible without getting injured. I am running San Francisco Marathon in August, but I would like to do it in less than five hours. Just relax and have fun, the time will be fine.
                    I think the question really is if you want to race the maraton or just finish it.
                    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I have took the plunge and am doing my first marathon ever at the end of September. The thing is I havent got a clue where to begin with regards training. All I do know is that I want to go sub 3, at least this is what I wil be aiming for. Any help or training links which you guys reccomend would be great.
                      Pfitz 18/70 but you may be forced into his 12 week plan. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=4432&PageNum=1

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Pick up Pfitz's Advanced Marathoning. I looked at your runs and I think this book would work very well for you. I know I like it!
                        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                          You could probably run one in decent time within a couple months but if you want to break 3 hrs I'd give it another year. Try to keep your miles up and see if you can bring your 10k time down to 38:30 or better and run a HM in 1:25. If you can hit those targets then you will be ready to start pointing specifically towards a sub-3 marathon.
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                            I'd go for it Eddy. Hey if you miss 3hrs........big deal. a 3hr plus marathon is great, just ask any of us who want to break 4hrs Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

You have good base mileage so you should be Ok to run 26.2. you will definately benefit from at least one and perhaps more 20 mile runs....maybe one Mid month July and another about 3 or 4 before the marathon. Didnt notice your pace, but most marathon coaches, books and anything else that I have ever seen will alway state to go to your first marathon with the goal of finishing and worry about time on your second or even third marathon. Of course, this is all relative, if you are running at a pace that dictates a 3:00 hr marathon...then good for you go for it. My opinion (for what little it is worth) is that running a marathon the first time is good enough of a goal and time isn't all that important (the first time).....GOOD LUCK....Let us know how it turned out....JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

You have good base mileage so you should be Ok to run 26.2. you will definately benefit from at least one and perhaps more 20 mile runs....maybe one Mid month July and another about 3 or 4 before the marathon. Didnt notice your pace, but most marathon coaches, books and anything else that I have ever seen will alway state to go to your first marathon with the goal of finishing and worry about time on your second or even third marathon. Of course, this is all relative, if you are running at a pace that dictates a 3:00 hr marathon...then good for you go for it. My opinion (for what little it is worth) is that running a marathon the first time is good enough of a goal and time isn't all that important (the first time).....GOOD LUCK....Let us know how it turned out....JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching