If my shoe rolls when on a flat table... (Read 604 times)

is it time to retire it? On one pair of my shoes, my right shoe rocks at the heal. I imagine that is a sign of several bad things, but does that mean the shoe is done? I've got less than 300 miles on it right now, was hoping to squeeze another 50 or so out of them. (BTW, I am a pronator, wear custom orthotics-but could probably use a new pair, and am currently running with nike air triax)
    obiebyke

Dude. Get some new shoes.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

(BTW, I am a pronator, wear custom orthotics-but could probably use a new pair, and am currently running with nike air triax)
        Hi RedRunner ... how old are your orthotics. I wear orthotics and the podiatrist reckons they only last 2yrs max (the material he uses ages) or 3000 miles (shape changes with usage). They are pricey ... but cheap if it means you can continue running. Neil UK Smile

Running ... just keep running!

They're pretty old. Six years or so-they're the rigid, 3/4 kind of orthotics. I've been putting off getting new ones, and I guess it is time. My issue has been that they were fitted in a different city in which I now live, so I'll have to find a good podiatrist here. Also, the shoes aren't the only ones I use, and I've started using them only on recovery runs, and only recently noticed the rolling. I guess this adds fuel to the question of when to get new shoes- I've got maybe 290 miles on these shoes, almost all of which was run on soft surfaces, and I'm very light. Modified to add: Bought new gel kayanos (14). Tried on a bunch of different similar shoes, and these fit the best. I've used older versions, so we'll see how the new ones stack up. I'll be rotating these with relatively new Air Triax 10s.