An observation about plantar fasciitis (Read 1734 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Every time I run a mile barefoot, my PF goes away for a day or two.

Completely.

Big grin

BeeRunB

Trent,

I got rid of my case of PF by switching (slowly) to the Nike Free, walking around barefoot in the house all the time, doing feet strengthening, switched to Converse All-stars for walking (i was always wearing trainers). I also worked on inflammation in the body with extra fish oil and turmeric. Gone. All that modern, splinting plastic crap they put on the soles of trainers and running shoes just make the feet weak. What you are doing is a step in the right direction. May your PF become a distant memory.

--Jimmy

Imminent Catastrophe

Last bout I had with PF was after an easy 5-miler on the TM in super-stable supportive motion control shoes (which are now retired). No issues running in VFFs. I haven't done "real" barefoot, though.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Mine was sore for a few weeks and got even worse about a month ago...but went completely away after spending 6 hours cleaning my house...barefoot, on hardwood floors.  It was hard manual labor, all on my feet.  Completely gone the next day and haven't had even a twinge for weeks???  Weird.
          xor

I have a really strange question about VFFs.

I have some ininji toe socks.  I've tried to like them because friends-I-trust really dig them.  But my Fred Flintstone stubby toes don't seem to fill up the sock toes enough, and there's flappy flappy material left over at the ends.

I'm guessing flappy flap excess material in a VFF is no big deal, but I don't know.  What say you?

Bonus question.  I assume you don't wear socks with VFFs.  How do you keep them from going stanky?

Imminent Catastrophe

Stankyness is a known issue. I heard an interview with the Vibram guy, he said either Febreze or wash with vinegar(?) They are machine washable BTW.

Some people do wear them with injinji socks, I haven't tried that, I don't think there's enough room in the toes, I'd need a bigger size VFF for that. But it can be done.

The extra toe length isn't an issue for me, just like the extra room in a shoe.

Do I get bonus points?

More trivia: It's pronounced "Vee-brum". They're Italian. They will be introducing new models this Fall, including a "trail" version with more aggressive tread and kangaroo hide uppers.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Can you run far in VFFs?  A marathon?
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Get Lost :)

I have a really strange question about VFFs.

I have some ininji toe socks.  I've tried to like them because friends-I-trust really dig them.  But my Fred Flintstone stubby toes don't seem to fill up the sock toes enough, and there's flappy flappy material left over at the ends.

I'm guessing flappy flap excess material in a VFF is no big deal, but I don't know.  What say you?

Bonus question.  I assume you don't wear socks with VFFs.  How do you keep them from going stanky?

While I like Injinji socks and paced for 100K in them with no foot problems in shoes that were too small (!), I'm quickly becoming a DryMax convert. Believe the hype!! Plodding around in muddy, ankle deep trails for 7 miles and my feet came out happy as clams. My shoes didn't fare so well ....

I have a couple of toes that are too short for the VFFs and are fine. Some people wear Injinjis with the VFFs, but I find that there's not enough room, and you lose that nice barefoot feeling. Machine wash the VFFs or have rose-smelling feet like mine.

Barefoot Ted's done several ultras in VFFs. So it's possible. You know what though, I did one short trail section in them and was not happy. You have to choose your line SO much more carefully. It's like riding a road bike on a mountain bike trail. I might hike some in VFFs before I do another trail run in them. I prefer a little bit of help from reasonable outsoles on real shoes.

xor

I ran the Sunmart 50 miler with a lady who wore VFFs.  She stopped four times to change clothes though.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I saw a fellow complete Pikes Peak marathon in them. Lots of folks run marathons and ultras in them, but you need to wear them for a while to strengthen your feet.

Prince of Fatness

Completely.

Big grin

Yeah it appears to be the apple that keeps the doctor away.  I do yoga twice a week and a month or so started doing a short barefoot jog beforehand.  I started with just going to the end of the block and back and now it's about a half mile.  I think it's helping me.  The key for me was slowly easing into it.

Not at it at all. 

Beware, batbear...

I found that running barefoot messed with my calves, but I leave enough room in my routes for a good 6-10 minute barefoot walk at the end of my run and haven't had any PF issues since I started doing that in June.  Not sure how that will work out in the winter time, but for now it's all good.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

The only thing stopping me from going VFF in the city is dumb -- it's the blistering. Otherwise these things feel amazing to run in.

Completely.

Big grin

You are destroying your feet!  How DARE you walk barefoot with PF.  With one bad step you could be set back for months or years!  You must even wear your shoes when you get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom!  Shame on you for offering such crazy revolutionary ideas!