What is your favorite beer? (Read 3172 times)

zonykel

I'm not drinking as much as in my younger days (that's a good thing for a number of reasons), but having grown up in Mexico, I'm partial to Mexican beers. Having said that, I do like to try out something different or international every once in a while. I lived in Japan for a few years as well, so I like some of their stuff too.

one of my  favorite mexican beers is "Tecate". "Corona" is ok, but I can't understand it's popularity in the u.s. (other than marketing). "Modelo" is good, whether it's the dark beer or the clear one. "Dos Equis" that you see advertised a lot is actually good. There are others, but I think this is good enough for now.

from Japan, I like "Sapporo", "Kirin", "asahi", and "yebisu".

"Sam Adams", "rolling rock", and MGD are American beers I like.

In general, I avoid light beers. If you're not going to get the full taste, then what's the point?

prodiro

So has Spud. So have I. So have half the other people here. It's called untappd.

I know what untappd is. When I say review, I mean I write out a couple hundred words describing each characteristic of the beer - along with my overall impressions of it.

Yes, like what you see on Beer Advocate, only I've found the tumblr beer community to be a bit less elitist and judgmental - and somehow I found it in a running forum. Whodathunk?

ymmv

I just found 2 more cases of Flying Dog El Dorado Single Hop IPA to hoard.

Prince of Fatness

Also, I've found Coors Light to be the best out of the big American lagers.

OK to be fair it has been a while.  Just to make sure I had a Coors Light today.  Yeah, it is still terrible.

That said if you are ever near the Lehigh Valley, shoot me a PM.  I'll take you out for a few beers, Just no Coors.

Not at it at all. 

prodiro

OK to be fair it has been a while.  Just to make sure I had a Coors Light today.  Yeah, it is still terrible.

That said if you are ever near the Lehigh Valley, shoot me a PM.  I'll take you out for a few beers, Just no Coors.

I really thought this was over...  When I saw a reply in the thread from you, I really didn't think it could be possible you were still going to be on the Coors Light topic.

You really missed the point of what I was getting at. Let me put it this way: I find it to be the most TOLERABLE of a bunch of cheap, easily bought in small quantities (cold), beers for when I "just feel like having a beer" and will be needing to drive after.

It's really quite obnoxious that you chose to nitpick this one thing you found disagreeable out of a post where what I really was doing was introducing myself and the craft beers that I like. It would have been a lot more fun to talk about the craft beers I mentioned, no? The kind of person who is that petty is not the sort of person I'd spend any time with when visiting the Lehigh Valley.

I'm done on the subject.

I'm going to talk about craft beer now:

Tonight I'll be cracking open a Goose Island Big John imperial stout. I made the mistake of reading some reviews first (wanted to get a sense of if it was a particularly rare find) and saw it doesn't have marks nearly as high as BCBS though it's a part of the same series apparently. I do my best to not get all wrapped up into "rare beer" hype and assume that makes them better...or to have read reviews of a beer before buying it though I just can't help myself sometimes lol.  Anyway Big John has low 90s ratings on BA if I remember correctly, hardly bad, but I'd have assumed an imperial stout from Goose Island would be automatically world class (given the precedent BCBS has set).

Imperial stouts are one of my favorite styles, though they're definitely a winter style. I probably had at least 20 different ones this past winter and it was delicious! It's a bit warm for this one today, but I don't have a proper cellar so I guess I'll have to "tough it out" lol.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I really thought this was over...  When I saw a reply in the thread from you, I really didn't think it could be possible you were still going to be on the Coors Light topic.

You really missed the point of what I was getting at. Let me put it this way: I find it to be the most TOLERABLE of a bunch of cheap, easily bought in small quantities (cold), beers for when I "just feel like having a beer" and will be needing to drive after.

It's really quite obnoxious that you chose to nitpick this one thing you found disagreeable out of a post where what I really was doing was introducing myself and the craft beers that I like. It would have been a lot more fun to talk about the craft beers I mentioned, no? The kind of person who is that petty is not the sort of person I'd spend any time with when visiting the Lehigh Valley.

I'm done on the subject.

Srsly?  I think that it is you that have missed the point.

steph  

Prince of Fatness

Dude, relax.  I'm just having some fun with you (although my opinion of Coors Light is genuine),  The offer to take you out for a couple of beers still stands.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Getting bitchy over adjunct beers.

I have now seen it all.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Yeah, I think people do need to relax.  I mean, it's beer.

As for me, Coors Light is not  high up on my "like" factor.  My biggest problem with it is, when it gets warm (as it always does for me, because I don't like it that much), it *really* tastes horrible.  In my opinion.

As for the major market brewers (aside from the Sam Adams bunch, which I like..alot...), the one beer that I really liked in the last few years was Michelob Pale Ale.  Which has been discontinued.  It was a good inexpensive alternative to a craft beer.

Ah well.

Yeungling, since I'm in the area, is OK.  But if I'm going "non-craft", it would have to be Sam Adams Lager.

MrFinn has a good suggestion.  Anything Troegs is...just...friggin...awesome.  I love Hop Back and Nugget Nectar.  Had the latter on tap last weekend.  Wow!

Also, and I know this may be hard for you not Philly/NJ people to find, anything by Yards, and especially Brawler and Extra Special Ale.  So smooth.  So wonderful.  :-)

By the way, I had some Sierra Ruthless Rye IPA the other day.  Wow!  Bitter as hell!  But I think I liked it.  Not sure if I would buy it again though.  And, I also had a Magic Hat Rye PA last week too.  Again, bitter, pepper taste.  Not sure I'm diggin' it.

Jeff

ghosts11

My first post here ... but right now I love beer and Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar and Dead Guy Ale, Great Lake's Alchemy Hour Double IPA, Lagunitas Sucks and Left Hand's Milk Stout are my brews of choice right now,

Feeling the growl again

Really??

Look, he thinks it's terrible and you don't.  That's cool.  People have different tastes.  Him telling you he still thinks its terrible is actually a compliment as he thought enough of your opinion to try it again.  Your response comes across out of line.  Some people get bent when others don't agree with their tastes, but Finn isn't one of them.  I've met him personally and know this.  We don't agree on some things but we are both cool with that.  Hell, I already know what he would say if I told him I bought a case of Miller Lite last week.

But I wouldn't buy Coors.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

prodiro

Mr Finn - I appreciate the kind gesture of your offer still standing.

I'm enjoying this Goose Island Big John right now. It's actually quite a nice alternative to BCBS if you've had trouble finding that stuff. It uses the same malts (I'm unsure if they're the same proportion) and Columbus rather than Williamette. It really does drink just like you'd expect, quite similar to BCBS, but with loads of chocolate character and minus the bourbon-esque flavors.

It's fascinating watching how Goose Island operates under ABInbev control...things really do seem to be going well for everybody.

Mr Finn - I appreciate the kind gesture of your offer still standing.

I'm enjoying this Goose Island Big John right now. It's actually quite a nice alternative to BCBS if you've had trouble finding that stuff. It uses the same malts (I'm unsure if they're the same proportion) and Columbus rather than Williamette. It really does drink just like you'd expect, quite similar to BCBS, but with loads of chocolate character and minus the bourbon-esque flavors.

It's fascinating watching how Goose Island operates under ABInbev control...things really do seem to be going well for everybody.

Wow.  I actually had a Goose Island on Wednesday.  I wasn't impressed.  I mean, it was OK.  But, given the price I paid for it, I wished I had had something else.  It was the IPA, by the way.  It was just sorta blah.

Not dissing you, dude.

Jeff

prodiro

Wow.  I actually had a Goose Island on Wednesday.  I wasn't impressed.  I mean, it was OK.  But, given the price I paid for it, I wished I had had something else.  It was the IPA, by the way.  It was just sorta blah.

Not dissing you, dude.

No offense taken! I haven't gotten a chance to try their IPA anyway. I've mostly gone for their belgian styles and big stouts.

Goose Island actually varies a bit with their quality from my understanding. Their more session-oriented beers are more ordinary.  It's their big beers where they really shine! With the warm weather coming up, I'd really recommend checking out Sophie.  It's a belgian-style farmhouse ale that's aged with brett yeast and orange peel in wine barrels.  Super refreshing, just the right amount of funk.  I know it's an easy find in New England and if I remember correctly reasonably priced ($8 or so).

If you're curious to try their more interesting beers, I'd recommend checking out their website and keeping an eye out for the beers under the "vintage" and "bourbon county" sections. I haven't had them all, but the ones I have were quite tasty Smile

Their more session-oriented beers are more ordinary.  It's their big beers where they really shine! With the warm weather coming up, I'd really recommend checking out Sophie.  It's a belgian-style farmhouse ale that's aged with brett yeast and orange peel in wine barrels.

While I'm always interested in a session beer..well, farmhouse/saison isn't my style.  I don't know, there's something about it that I just don't like.  I guess I like the hops too much.  :-)

It's funny, last week we went to a nice restaurant, and the waitress, who obviously knew something about beer (either because she did, or was coached) said xxxx beer is a good session beer, and all the women said, "what does that mean?"  The guys, said nothing.  But I wondered, did THEY know what that meant.  I think not, actually.

Anyway, they drank yards Brawlers....and so did I.  The other guys had some real hopped IPAs.  Well, one had a brown ale.  Actually, I wish  I had tried that...he seemed to like it.

Pretty much, when we go out now, if it's not BYOB, we try to stick with the local stuff...because it's like, awesome.  :-)

Jeff